Home Brew counterweights?

If you changed it slightly you could probibly get away with copying the shape. Audly…

The shape is actually nothing like the duncan dice or spintop buttons. It’s a suprise :slight_smile:

So, I have decided to go through with it, as soon as Duncan gives me the thumbs up, so that will probably be tomorrow. The counterweights (Ill think of a good name for them) should be available in a week or so, so keep a lookout. Thanks for the feedback guys!

Call them Counter-Dounter Weights. Ill buy some!

Call them string atachments, it like other companies calling hubstacks by other names. These string attachments arent for 5a they are to give nice look to the yoyo and so that you dont get the red ring of execive yoyoing. Its a joke.

Make some of the CWs, seeing the actual thing might might make it easier to name them. Also what shape will they have, will they be like a bouncy ball of derlin that doesnt actually bounce.

Make them like an ice cube. But i guess that would make them delrin dice… ::slight_smile:

Heres the shape, guys!
(those are from 3yo3’s website, not my CWs)

http://www.landonbalk.com/images/DSCN0533.JPG

Those are cool. I hope you dont get sued! :o I …uhh… mean Good Luck!

Well, the shape isnt perfectly identical to those, and 3yo3’s not been known to sue…

I was joking. But hey, look out for Duncan! Jk…

Oh, sorry. I thought I read born2yoyo. :-\

Don’t sell counterweights.

Sell chunks of molded colored delrin with a hole in it.
duncan doesn’t have a patent on THAT!

A wise individual would not sell counterweights at this time. Call them what you want, it’s just not a good idea.

I know of a couple Homebrew counterweight companies that are to scared to sell anything now, so I’d just say let this idea pass. If you’re gutsy enough to try and stand up to Duncan, go ahead, but they would wipe the floor with anyone that gets in their way. Not just you. anyone.

Good luck sir.

I you dont want to sell them you could make a few of them for your personal use.

The “individual vs corporation” debate was actually about making 5A videos because unbeknownst to most, Duncan holds the patent for both the counterweights themselves and the actual 5A style. The title of the patent itself is actually “Yo-Yo and Method for Using a Yo-Yo.” It can be interpreted that the 5A May videos were used as advertisement for YYF to profit from the 5A style, (in Duncan’s words, they were simply “getting a little too close on infringing on the patent”) which is where our problems currently lie.

Point is, selling yo-yo counterweights is a direct violation of Duncan copyright and you’d be ill advised to do so, especially in a public online setting.

Unless you have a license to do so from Duncan, then selling anythin that you intend to be tied to the end of a yoyo string in place of attaching it to your finger violates Duncans patent. You should not sell them. You can give them away, but you black not show profit (even just covering the costs) by selling it.
Because this is a hot topic right now, I recomend waiting until you get permission/a license to do so.