HELP! Ideas for First YoYo’s for My Sons? 🤷‍♂️

Wood

1 Like

Magic Yoyo sells A LOT of yoyo and does huge runs so they are able to sell most of them pretty cheaply. I never had any of their plastics but have about 20 of their metals and have never found any that were subpar or that I thought were garbage. I’m not sure about the letters. There are video reviews of lots of their yoyos to check out. Reviews are subjective though.

1 Like

I didn’t even realize until recently that run size had anything to do with pricing :sweat_smile: so, that makes a lot of sense. MagicYoYo has pretty much dominated my search results. They definitely make a ton of yo-yos!

Yeah, reviews are very subjective, and not all reviewers are created equal. @ChrisFrancz, do you have any recommendations on that front? I’ll be sure to check them out. I was, very clearly, wrong about them in general.

It occurred to me that, maybe in some cases, the letters could refer to the shape of the yoyo? Or they’re just using the alphabet as a convenient method of keeping track of what belongs to which run.

For instance, maybe the V3 is the 3rd iteration of the V series? That’s pure speculation though. I have no idea if there is a V1, and V2. Even if there is, they may have been unreleased prototypes. Maybe I’ll see if Google, the All-Knowing has the answer.

1 Like

The Yomega Glide XP is exactly what you are looking for.

Hands down it is the best beginner training yoyo I have ever thrown. Affordable, durable, slightly undersized, it literally checks all the boxes you are wanting.

The Glide switches between semi-responsive and non-responsive easily. If you add a few drops of thick lube to the narrow barring and it basically becomes an ultra snappy fully responsive. On top of that it comes with a cool metal case.

I personally play mine all the time. Its been stomped on, dinged, and dropped by my boys and still runs with that Yomega Vibe it came with out of the box.

Seriously underrated throw, and it is perfect for new players. I have two young boys who both have thrown it around. Here’s a pic for size reference…

3 Likes

Oh, Yomega…so many fond memories of strings breaking on hard forward tosses. Fireballs, and Raiders soaring through the playground air, smashing through school windows to the dismayed cries of our teachers cursing the modern age.

I came across this one and the Groov at the beginning of my search. I wrote them off almost immediately because I’d read so many descriptions my eyes were trying to flee my skull. So I missed the part in the Groov’s description about it being convertible.

I almost bought three last week when I finally revisited and actually read the description. That was the Groov, though. I hadn’t come across the Glide XP, and still don’t think I have in terms of search results. Maybe I did but wrote it off like I did the Groov.

You’re totally right, they check every box!

Plus, they have the added bonus of that sweet, sweet nostalgia!

If you had the one metal by Yomega, that I knew of, when I was a kid, you were a total playground baller. You could probably even do outside loops or maybe…just maybe…you could Shoot the Moon.

Not even gonna lie, I think the best way to move forward is to triple my income and just buy everything. Instead of ”We Bought A Zoo,” ”We Bought A YoYo Factory” :rofl:

@Roman_Soup For real though, Yomega for the win. There’s no fighting nostalgia. I played with Fireballs and Raiders all through elementary and middle school, still had my Fireball until it mysteriously vanished during the move. I think being able to tell them it’s an improved version of what I first started with will add a hint of a generationally shared experience. And THANK YOU for showing it in your hands!! That helps SO much.

3 Likes

@Roman_Soup After a quick search, I can’t seem to find the Glide XP in stock anywhere. The Groov and Maverick are available. After looking at the profiles, I think the Glide XP’s shape would be better from a technical standpoint for learning tricks. If you know of somewhere that has them, would you shoot me a DM? If not, maybe I can put a request on #buy-sell-trade. See if could wrangle up three of them. Hopefully they’re not rare or collector pieces, though. Or I could just go with the Groov.

Talked to my wife who bought one awhile back… she got it on Amazon.

I did some looking around and it appears they may be sold out. :grimacing:
Sorry about suggesting it then all the sudden they are all gone. :expressionless: bummer. I’ll keep an eye out for them.

However, with a big company like Yomega, I would think they would make another run soon. My wife’s thought was they will probably drop in the next month or so in preparation for Christmas. :man_shrugging:

Perhaps someone has an idea where you could grab some from? I wonder if an over-seas store has any still in stock?

1 Like

No worries, it’s still a great recommendation that fits all of my original criteria. I hope you’re right about another run coming soon.

The more I thought about it, the more I thought the Groov would be too narrow for learning string tricks. I’ll take another look today.

Someone is selling a Glide in #buy-sell-trade, NOT a Glide XP (unfortunately, I got real excited for a second!). The difference seeming to be the convertibility. Regardless I’m thinking I’ll try my luck putting up a “Looking For:” later this week. Maybe I’ll get lucky and someone here has a few they can part with. Hopefully with the box, bearings and bearing key.

The one place I found selling them, or rather, selling one of them, was some bookstore website. For a heavy markup, and only red. Apparently Amazon is their only official distributor. They don’t even seem to have a store on their website.

1 Like

It sounds like you can afford a bunch of yoyos so looking for yoyos to switch between responsive and un is just a hassle to be taking them apart and putting them back together and “oops, where did that axle fall?” or “where’s that bearing?”

2 Likes

Yeah, that occurred to me a while back. Shortly after I started this thread, one of the first replies was to get one of each instead. I hadn’t considered that, mostly because there’s a bigger price difference in 6 v. 3.

A convertible makes sense in that, both boys spend every other week with respective other parents (blended family). Making it hard to continually encourage practice. Their interests can change with a slight breeze, as well. ADHD runs in the family something fierce.

I had considered a really cool unresponsive, like the Colossus VI, might be good motivation to continue practicing and progressing. More than likely though, it would just frustrate them. Having a super cool throw that they couldn’t use yet because of the bind.

The only reason they have a box of cool stuff coming currently, is because the other guy was willing to trade. So I just have shipping to cover. They’ll have their bases covered with both responsive and unresponsive.

I’m still planning on adding that final yoyo, that we’ll each have, as the cherry on top that will make it more meaningful than random presents. So I’m really only buying 3.

2 Likes

I’d suggest avoiding the BST and buying new, at least for their first yoyos. Not just trying to promote the store, but more because you know exactly what you’re getting and if anything goes wrong with the yoyo we will help fix/replace it. When kids start swinging yoyos around for the first time or start tinkering/taking them apart there’s always a chance of breaking something.

As already mentioned - The iYoYo Shooting Star is a fantastic plastic for both responsive and unresponsive. iYoYo Passion is also one of the better responsive metals too if you don’t want plastic. And if you’re going to buy an unresponsive model you have hundreds of choices so I always say pick something they like the look of that’s also within your budget. If they think it looks cool they’re more likely to use it and practice more often.

7 Likes

Kinda feels like I just got in trouble with dad for trading Pokemon Cards after school :laughing:

@YoYoExpertGarrett Yes, you do have some good points. Which makes me honestly want to know: If I contacted YYE after a purchase because my kids were “playing Ninjas”, the yo-yo’s were their “Ninja Death Stars,” and got broken, would you guys really replace/repair them? I’m talking…in no conceivable way were they being used as intended, and had arrived in pristine condition. I ask because this is not a far fetched scenario in the slightest.

As you pointed out, kids are basically walking insurance claims waiting to happen, especially when they hunt in packs :joy:. It’s very likely that the throws will get lost, broken, or damaged, and probably just a day or two after the warranty has expired. Even completely unintentionally—no Ninjas required.

At the end of the day, it comes down to cost. Buying used costs less. Sure, there’s slightly more risk, and significantly more if you don’t know what to look for. We’re supporting a family of five, plus two cats and a dog, on my VA Benefits. Which aren’t especially great, sadly. Spending $30 or $40 on a single Shooting Star or Passion is not a big deal. Spending $90 to $120 is something else entirely. If the barter system was more common, buying new would be a no-brainer.

Unfortunately, last I checked, not many places are willing to accept work, or trades in exchange for their wares. Some on B/S/T (now I’m afraid it’s the hashtag that sent up the mod-signal :joy:), however, are. Or atleast open to seeing what I’ve got.

Ultimately, we all do the best we can with what we’ve got. I’m no different. I just make it look oh, so easy :sunglasses:.

1 Like

I’m always happy to attempt to repair customers yoyos, and usually pretty successful within reason. I can’t fix a smashed yoyo, but if it broke just from hitting the ground once we may replace it for you after looking at it. Or if it’s stripped, broken axle, defective/missing bearing/parts or anything like that it’s usually not a problem.

Definitely go BST if there’s something you like at the right price, not trying to deter that!

Well… depends what you got! :joy:

3 Likes

…Wow. So…Ninja shenanigans are covered. That’s actually really cool. I definitely tip my hat to that high quality of customer service. Kinda scary that a yo-yo can be smashed, though :grimacing: that’s an insane amount of force in my mind. Hydraulic press kind of force. Luckily, your average 10-13 year old isn’t The Hulk…

…despite what they’d have us believe lol.

If you guys needed some dull clerical or data entry type work done, or anything that could be done remotely, I’ll work for throws :joy: Hours in exchange for a set amount, applied to the cost.

In all seriousness, I would prefer to buy new. For all the reasons you pointed out, and a couple more. Especially knowing you cover ninjas. They get everywhere. In the cracks.

If I can figure it out, I totally will. It’s possible my project has become a bit too grandiose in scope…what started as just getting yo-yo’s, is now ”I’m gonna make them a whole skill toy starter set! Yo-yo’s! Responsive, unresponsive, and off-string! Kendama! I’ll even make some Begleri for them!”

Also, I’ve just ended up with a ton of stuff over the years. Electronics, and PC stuff especially. Most of it has gone mostly unused, well cared for, and/or carefully stored. It’s just taking up space. Clearing it out makes my wife happy, and swapping it to someone who will actually use it, and have need of it just makes me happy. It’s a nice win-win-win, you know?

Vosun Trinity great cheapie option.
Vosun Zebra for cheap metal also nice but for metal I would suggest others like iYOYO Passion like undersized something.

Can’t go wrong with Recess as well.

1 Like

If your looking for convertible yo-yo’s then I would definitely recommend either the Yoyofactory whip or the recess first base.

The Yoyofactory whip is an outstanding very inexpensive plastic yo-yo that can handle responsive/unresponsive play very well. The whip comes set up playing responsive (because of the thicker pads and flat responsive bearing) but if you change the pads out and put in a ct bearing then you got yourself a brand new yoyo. The whip is very underestimated but it plays so well especially set up unresponsive so I would definitely check one out if you can.

The recess first base is also a fantastic plastic yoyo that I really enjoy using time to time. It’s definitely interchangeable and can slay both responsive/unresponsive play. Now I agree with some people that the first base does play pretty light but I find myself liking it more and more as I throw it, it just takes some getting used to. Plus it comes in a bunch of really cool colorways that you can choose from !!! So I would also keep an eye out for the first base if you can find one !!!

2 Likes

@dipto I checked out the Vosun Zebra, and I really like the shape! It doesn’t seem to be convertible, though. Another that I came across from Vosun was the Uncia—which looks awesome, but is sold out everywhere. I know you’ve got one on B/S/T, it seems like I’d have a heck of a time finding two more, though. And they’re on the pricey side.

@Yoyogeek15 The Whip has come up before, and your praise for it definitely has me intrigued. I think I’ve come across a couple other posts saying, basically, the same things. It plays very well in either responsive, or unresponsive, and doesn’t get enough recognition for how good it actually is.

They’re probably one of the least expensive yoyos, too. I do have a pair of YYF Ones coming, that I got as part of a trade package. I know they can be converted, and they appear to have a similar shape. With how inexpensive they are, though, getting the Whips is a solid back up if the Ones aren’t that great.

I’d love to get us Recess First Bases! The problem is finding some! Everywhere is sold out. I’m not even sure of all the colors available—I’ve only seen a few. My middle son (and myself for that matter lol) would LOVE the Dino Egg edition one.

The other problem is that, whatever I get, I need at least two—ideally three. I’ve got a post in B/S/T right now, and I’m really hoping I get lucky. Someone, or a couple someone’s, with massive collections and throws that are just not being used, ready to trade.

I’d still really like them to be metal. There are exceptions, like the Shooting Star and First Base. I dunno, I just really like the idea of it being a metal throw—like the Passion, or something. We’ll see how things shake out over the next week or so. I’m hoping I can get at least two of the same throws, then I’ll only have to buy one new.

2 Likes

For Zebra, you can get 12mm axles and buy cheap concave bearing, works well for me.

I do have two more Uncia’s I have em but Idk if you would want it for higher priced than what I priced the one I am selling because those two are like dead smooth.

1 Like

Makes me wonder how many throws are capable of being converted to the opposite response. Like, they may not be the best at it, but they can do it.

If I took, say, a YYF Shutter, put in a smaller axle, a slim bearing, and maybe some thicker pads…would it work??

Dude, I’d love to go with the Uncias. They’re a really nice looking BiMetal that’s kinda perfect for this. Life is being a rather cruel, and vengeful mistress at the moment. I have no idea how much of anything will turn out. This whole project is on the verge of being sidelined entirely for the foreseeable future. And that sucks. A lot.

Probably might work, because the yoyos that use both responsive-unresponsive setup, they do it that way