Having trouble with kwyjibo

Hi guys! I’m having trouble getting the yoyo to hop straight up when I try to do kwyjibo. It’s almost always not the way I see it in demos where it goes off to the right or not high up at all. Any tips on how I can get that pop consistently?

1 Like

do you have your eli hops down well?

2 Likes

I worked on it before tackling kwyjibo! Problem is the configuration is different (especially after you re-cross your hands on the second part) that muscle memory doesn’t kick in! What am I doing wrong haha

There’s a subtle art to applying the right amount of outward pressure with both arms to get the yo-yo to pop up with the trajectory you want. There’s nothing for it but to practice. Get into the mount (even with a dead yo-yo) and just practice the pop motion so that it’s really controlled. Kwyjibo was definitely a gateway trick for me toward feeling like I could get tougher stuff down or coming up with my own combos.

6 Likes

I’ll add another comment regarding the pop. I’ve noticed that many people pop the yoyo quite hard and fast, more so than is often required. This can cause the yoyo to hit the end of the string violently and bounce off in unintended directions and is difficult to follow with your eyes. Softer and slower might serve you better initially. You will be able to see more clearly what is happening and what should be happening. Then you can speed it up if needed or desired. I don’t know, just a thought.

2 Likes

will try this! will also try with a dead yoyo as well. yoyo-ing really takes a lot of patience especially in learning new tricks- still forget that sometimes

2 Likes

It’s funny how you get used to progressing quickly then can hit a wall at 100mph. When you get it you’ll blast off again. :rocket:

2 Likes

Yep, I second this, practicing with a dead yoyo/non spinning return top, wheel helped me with Kwyjibo and trapeze.

1 Like

When I was learning kwyjibo, using a dead yoyo didn’t help me much, but that’s just me, haha. I understand the muscle memory difficulties, though. It’s a pretty different feel from eli hops. It will come, don’t worry.

This may or may not be of help, but I thought I’d share something that helped me start landing that trick. It initially helped me to land that last hop by tossing the yoyo up by moving my crossed hands up and then down. It was a gentle toss that kept the yo in plane, seems a little slower to give you the ability to uncross your arms, and get the height and flow of the pop better.

Uncrossing your arms will then pull the yoyo back to the strings to land in the double or nothing.
Once you get the feel of that last pop, it should be easier to put the correct “popping” motion back in later. I hope this helps.