Have any of you guys had a yoyo taken away from a teacher?

Getting a teacher fired is nothing to laugh at. Especially if it’s because you were being a little brat.

Yeah, that actually hurt a little to me. My sister’s a teacher, and well… It’s not nice to joke about someone losing a job that means a lot to them…

1 Like

You’re addressing a much larger problem far beyond the scope of discussion of this web site.

As a HUMAN being, I would also love it if more kids played with any skill toys, put down the video games, learned to socialize appropriately. It would also be nice if we went back to the older system of music distribution that filtered out the trash and only let the best of the best through, rather than the “I got ProTools, I’m a record exec” swear-a-thon repetitive junk that has clogged the music industry and has placed it in a death grip.

It’s up to parents to step it up quite a bit too. I recall the term “it takes a village to raise a child”. I think now, thanks to the internet, it now takes the world to raise the children. As such, I think the world needs to behave much more responsibly.

It’s okay. He probably thinks his $40 yoyo is more important than someone’s career.

As a teacher I take them away from my students all the time. Usually I throw it a couple time, try it out with a couple tricks, and then hand it back. How else am I going to try out some of the newer stuff out there. :smiley:

The students in my school know that there is a time and place for throwing. We have even made the baseball field near the playground the “YoYo Zone” during recess. I have yet to take a yo-yo away due to students breaking the rules.

Back in the day I used to het my GAMEBoy Color taken. Always got it back after class.

So many great posts by you.

now where ever you teach i know i would want to be there! ;D

First that’s not very nice and she got fired because she was supposably hurting me I was going to smooth things over but I was too late

You didn’t have to hold on to it. Teachers are required to give back anything like that.
And not telling the principal that she wasn’t actually hurting you was bad too. So yeah, it was your fault. And not very nice of you to laugh about it.

Around 96 or 97 ish our school banned yoyos and I lost a few yomegas and koosh proyo’s for not taking them out of my locker after then ban(They were used for trades on pokemon cards pogs crazy bones ect) But none of my nicer throws I ever really even took to school unless I had a reason due to people always stealing yoyos in school

Plus that’s out of my control

It’s out of my control it was too late to tell him that remember I have classes
I have given up my yoyo before to teachers, they play with it, once in 6th grade a teacher broke my YYJ Fever

By how I read your story, It seemed you had plenty of time to speak up.

If a teacher breaks your yoyo, or even tries to take it away, behave calmly and either ask for it back, (calmly) or ask them to replace it.

If they get out of control you can tell someone else, I don’t think it was the teachers fault he/she got fired. It was yours, you make me sad by that. I hope this doesn’t happen to my sister. :-\

My mom asked my 6th grade teacher to replace my yoyo he wasn’t too thrilled about ordering a $50 yoyo and for the rest of the year he gave me the evil eye

Besides I never thought he’d fire her

Yes in 1997. Got my X-Brain back though.

I’m sorry, but that story sounds like just that - a story. No teacher would be fired over something so ridiculous. I am a teacher and I’ve taken away many yoyos and I’ve never been fired for it. And if a kid doesn’t give it to me, I write them up for defiance and they’re given an hour of detention. I usually just have to threaten to write them up and the kid coughs up the goods. That teacher shouldn’t have made any attempt to physically take the yoyo away because it’s unnecessary with the right discipline. But you were definitely in the wrong when you didn’t comply with the teacher’s request/demand. Who cares who bought it.

I’m a teacher who yoyos, and when I can’t yoyo, the kids can’t yoyo. And that’s how it works at school.

Doesn’t matter. You should tell the truth at all times.

More proof we don’t pay our teachers enough!

I’ve also noticed that in general, when you inform people of the proper time AND place, the odds are good that those with the interest will make the extra effort to ensure they adhere to the rules.

Rules are rules. Learning time is learning time.

I also agree with the handling of such a situation. Teachers aren’t there to be meanies or jerks, they are there to teach. I’ve only really had an issue with one teacher, and that’s because(and his track record proved it), he wasn’t a good math teacher. The rest of the instructors, I may have had issues with them on a personality basis, but not as an instructor.

There’s a time and place for everything.