GregP's 2013 CLYW Video Contest entry

Haha! I just had fun making it. Had to come up with something I could film indoors; otherwise I had a few other ideas up my sleeve. :wink: Thanks for the kind words!

IM ABOUT TO EXPLODE WHY NO RESULTS. BTW very creative vid ;D

1 Like

Only 10:09pm in Edmonton!

I know but I need sleep. The anticipation is so massive.

Congratz for getting to round 2! You clearly deserved it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks!! Judging by the calibre of the other videos, I think I just squeaked in. :wink: But I’ll take it! Not to single anyone out because they were ALL good, but that CMAK one was unreal.

Woohoo! Haha! So excited to see your vid make the top 10!

1 Like

Way to go, Greg. Can’t wait to see what you put together for round 2.

1 Like

Thanks! Can’t wait to figure something out. :wink: Not many days to do so…!

Enjoooy the yeti!

1 Like

Congrats on round 2 GregP

1 Like

Congrats Mr. P!

1 Like

Thanks guys! I’ve certainly enjoyed watching all the entries by the peeps on here, too. I just had a lucky bit of inspiration.

I somehow missed this entry until you made it to the Top 10, but I love it. Very well done. Congrats to you!!

1 Like

How do u do the trick where you finger grind then bind it back?
Do u need SE to do it?

Nope, no SE’s. That was a Puffin in fact. It’s really easy; I’m going to make a tutorial video of my favourite grind-to-bind tricks (I only know a few so it’ll be a short video!) but in the meantime here’s a text description:

• Do the exact same beginning motion as a sky bind, but don’t jump the yoyo fast and high. Jump it just enough to get it up onto the TH finger grind with the loop dangling in the gap.
  • Hold your NTH fingers in a “C” shape, insert them into the cup, and lift the yoyo by the rims.
  • Pull away with the TH and the loop will catch on the response, causing a bind.
  • Bring your TH towards the NTH.

It helps if your yoyo can grind well. Raw and glossy won’t work very well, pyramatte can work OK, and blasted for grinds works best.

Bonus: if you do the incomplete sky bind and land in a finger or palm grind, you can also then throw the yoyo up into the air (do it with some confidence!) and the loop will whip into the response and cause bind. Catch the yoyo!

Looks like I got a new trick to learn with my blasted shutter :slight_smile:

Grind binds are so yummy :slight_smile:

Fantastic video Greg! I see you’ve got that “I be a minute GT” dialed.

Congrats on round two (and winning a Yeti), can’t wait to see your next video. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yup! As I was learning it, it became apparent that it’s far more reliable as a frontstyle trick. I did learn both (just to say I learned it “properly”) but it’s not consistent on the breakaway and between different yoyo setups. I can do it, so I’ve “accomplished” my goal, and then I quickly started only doing it on the front throw (either truly front like in the video, or cross-body). I can hit it almost every time that way. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the kind words! Looking forward to that Yeti. I have the next video planned, and although I don’t think it will have any stop-motion, I hope it turns out to be a good video.