Got new yoyo and now can't bind

Hi!

I’m new to yoyo-ing and i’ve been learning tricks with a focus on binds for now. I started a few weeks ago with a Duncan Metal Racer (unresponsive) and i’ve been doing your basic bind and then i learned a basic one-handed laceration bind from this video (first bind shown in video). I got pretty good at the 2 binds i’ve been practicing. I have been able to consistently bind with no tail on my Duncan.

I recently bought a Magic Yoyo Skyva (Also unresponsive) to replace my Duncan Metal Racer, but all of a sudden I can not do the basic laceration bind at all! I thought it would require me to learn the nuance of the new yoyo, but i’m starting to think that the yoyo gap is so wide and the bearing is so smooth that it won’t bind!

Anyone have any tips on what i could be doing wrong? Thanks!

2 Likes

You’re probably not doing anything wrong. Chances are good that the design and construction of the yoyo is fighting against you. You can’t change the gap width, but you can change the response pads to something softer/grippier and/or use thicker string. You can also adjust your binding technique so that you hold onto the loop of string a little longer as you lay it into the gap (that won’t help you with the one-handed laceration bind though).

3 Likes

Thanks so much! I’ve been trying to adjust it various ways and i can see the string loop around the axle, but then i just see it just slip back out. That’s what is making me think that this yoyo just isn’t meant for that specific type of bind.

As a new yoyo-er i just wanted to see if there were other tips. I’ll try what you suggested!

Thanks for all the help and response!

2 Likes

I might be wrong but I’m pretty sure it’s more likely the Metal Racer’s gap width is relatively very narrow for an unresponsive so he just got used to that. Skyva’s gap width might be slightly wider than average but should definitely still be able to do laceration bind without a problem. I’d imagine most modern yoyos gap widths are closer to the Skyva than the Metal Racer. But regardless, you should be able to do a laceration bind with any properly made yoyo really.

It’s more likely just your form. Try throwing more “slack” into the gap when you try the bind. You might get some snagging at first but you’ll eventually figure out the right ratio.

Another solution is to use thicker string like zslane said but that shouldn’t really be necessary tbh and it’s probably better that you learn how to do it with regular string anyway.

edit: To further clarify, I’ve had a Skyva before and while binds weren’t quite as tight as most yoyos, I had no problems with any binds or anything so it’s definitely not the yoyo.

5 Likes

welcome to the forums !!! it’s awesome that you’re learning new binds !!! i’m pretty sure that your problem is with your skyva’s response system. the skyva is kinda known for it’s slippy binds with it’s stock response pads and gap width. If you change out the pads like @zslane mentioned and adjust your technique like @andy569 said, you should be smooth sailing. I recently just did the same modifications with my Skyva and it works perfectly now :ok_hand: I hope this helps you out :grin:

1 Like