Good yoyo for beginner/intermediate

Hey yoyoexperts! I recently got into yoyoing again… something I haven’t done since I was a wee lad. I could then and can still do some really simple stuff like around the world and walking the puppy etc. I’m looking to get beyond that point this time around and I’m amazed at all the different types of yoyos, strings, gear, etc.

TL;DR
I’ve done some research, and I want your opinions. I’m looking for a cheap yoyo for beginner to intermediate, preferably one that has interchangeable bearings so I can learn unresponsive without putting another $40 on a new yoyo. I’d like any tips you all have about yoyoing as well! :slight_smile:

Get a classic and then you change its bearing to a C size to play unresponsive.

thanks for the bearing size suggestion… mind elaborating a bit on the classics?

Not sure if this is what you meant, but the Classic is a plastic yoyo by YoyoJam. It is around $10. I have heard that the responsiveness isn’t necessarily the most consistent for these, even when lubricated. If you are looking for a yoyo that is responsive and can be upgraded to unresponsive later on, this is a good option. Other options of the top of my head would be the DV888 and the Dark Magic 2.
Good unresponsive options would be the Kilter 2 and the Replay pro. If you want them to be responsive, I guess you could put some thick lube in the bearing. Then once you get to where you want to play unresponsive, you could clean the bearing (using one of the guides on this website) then it will play unresponsive very well.

I do not have it, but I’ve heard that the Shutter is a popular YoYo and can be upgraded to be unresponsive. I also believe it was used to win the World Championship on 2013. I think that speaks for its quality alone. I’ve copied the link below to the Shutter on this website, though, it is $5 over your budget.

Replay pro or shutter for sure.