Good Sub $150 Throw?

Picking up throwing as of the last few weeks. It’s been about 8 years but still seem to have some solid muscle memory.

I have been throwing my YYF Shutter but looking to get a more premium/competition oriented throw.

I have some cash to throw and wondering what a good option in the $80-$150 range is, typical I prefer throws more on the heavier side and although I don’t have much experience with wider throws it seems that the industry is floating that way so would be open to it….suggestions?

3 Likes

I want to try a Peregrine from Yoyofriends. Definitely competition oriented. I just picked up a Vulture, and it is hands down my smoothest throw. I’d suggest either of those two based on your criteria.

8 Likes

Hydrogen Crash by C3Yo available here at YYE is amazing!
Also check out the Perpetual by Motion_YoYo you can pm @JEA86 for info on that one.

2 Likes

I have a virtually brand new in box Peregrine for sale at a nice discount. Let me know if interested!

3 Likes

PM me

YoYoRecreation Valkyrie - SOLID choice -

I like the weight feel on this one better than both my Hummingbird and Peregrine. Coming from a shutter though, the Peregrine will definitely play what your looking for.

2 Likes

I have to second the Motion Yoyo Perpetual, that sounds almost exactly what you’re looking for.

A G2 Banshee SS, especially with brass rims, might work for you. You can find them on the BST with just a little bit of patience.

The Rain City Skills Deluge is really underrated in my opinion and is a fantastic and capable throw.

As are the Epsilon and PWRHouse by Throwing Sideways.

The Redacted by Yoyo Workshop is also excellent.

9 Likes

I’d 2nd a vulture myself for competition throws - I have hummingbird/peregrine/vulture from yoyofriends and for all the tricks I can think to do plus all the benefits of bi-metal design

I think typically as I understand it - competition side of yoyoing is likely answering questions:

1. Do I like general the shape? (V, H, W etc)
  2. Can I do all the tricks I want to do on it?
  3. Bi-metal or mono-metal?
  4. Does this design help me land my tricks?

Typically today’s designed yoyo’s you likely can get a smooth yoyo that spins long enough to do what you want its just various preferences from there. Typically they are V or H and sometimes W shaped since they have a wide area to catch the string.

I have also heard good things on bi-metals from CLYW (not sure how available some of them are but seem to be on BST often enough)

I used the vulture to learn how to do horizontal (beginner) and finger spins/binds
the design of the inner stainless ring and finish allows for grinds of various sorts as well without loosing too much speed and it has a good inner cup piece you can get for talon grinds (not the stainless but a tad further in).

owning all the standard bi-metal birds from yoyofriends I describe their play as someone who would like to one day compete:

• hummingbird - trying to go fast wont limit you since its light weight and is slimmer marginally than other yoyofriends (easier chopstick tricks potentially)
  • peregrine - good all round can do just about whatever you’d like (not sure on horizontals due to V shape?)
  • vulture - good all round plus has more options for tricks IMO (doing the ‘kobe’ trick for instance on an outside bi-metal is harder for sure since the stainless slows faster doing a palm grind)
2 Likes

Duncan GTR is insane. around 80 bucks and is probably one of the best playing yoyos ive thrown.

6 Likes

Duncan GTR definitely feels better to me then my Peregrine. Dressel Design Fusion by Damian Puckett is up there too especially if you want less float.

3 Likes

YoyoFactory IQ is a phenomenal throw that plays way above its price. I think it ticks all of your boxes.

4 Likes

I would also like to suggest the C3 Progressiver. Very solid and spins forever. A very good yoyo

2 Likes

I recommend the Mowl Surveillance. It’s extremely stable while still being able to change directions easily, definitely worth every penny.

It’s not exactly wide though, so I would suggest these yoyos instead if you want a wider yoyo that is heavier. Keep in mind that I have not played with any of these so these recommendations are based on what the community has liked.

And the YoYoFactory Bind, if you can find one of those.

2 Likes