Give one piece of advice

I’ve given enough yo-yo advice for a lifetime.
If I were gonna give MYSELF some advice, it’d be “shut up and let people figure it out however they want to.”

11 Likes

lots of great advice given. All I can add to this conversation is “have fun.” The yoyo is a toy, enjoy playing with it. Don’t take the toy or yourself too seriously.

5 Likes

My one piece of advice is… throw angry!

Remember that yo-yo is your enemy and you gotta fling it as hard and as fiercely as you can! Don’t let that little piece of junk get the better of you! Show it who is boss! Beat it up! Punch it and put it in a headlock if necessary! Shout and scream and yell at it to demonstrate your superiority over that dumb yo-yo!

nobody said it had to be good advice

15 Likes

Watch more freestyles.

3 Likes

Throw in the middle of the night, in the dark. By your wife’s side of the bed…

7 Likes

I have some advice about using the BST. For the most part, the BST is pretty safe, but it’s always a good idea to do your homework. If you are dealing with someone who you are not familiar with, it is a good idea to look at their history to see what kind of involvement they have with the community.

You can also do a public rep check. Just tell them that you want to make a post asking if people have dealt with this person before. You don’t have to give any details about the actual transaction that you’re trying to do, but this can be a good way to cross check someone’s reliability.

You should never feel pressured into doing anything, especially when money or assets are involved. It is always a good idea and it is always acceptable to do your homework first when dealing with the BST.

8 Likes

I use a vial to carry toothpicks

5 Likes

Sound advice :1st_place_medal:

2 Likes

little story was trying to buy off some one but the seller was very agro about certain terms, users accountant was very new. eventually sellers mother jumped in and settled deal and trustworthiness with lots of extra little goodies. she was a community user before even yoyo expert was yoyo expert. so definitely do a activity/history check with anything your buying. that goes for anything in life.

4 Likes

I bought a metal camping toothpick(with cylinder) that can attach to a key chain. Kinda pricey but worth every penny.

5 Likes

Where did u get that?

1 Like

Amazon

1 Like

A paperclip also does the trick, and it fits easily in a wallet. :smile:

My advice - don’t forget that’s it’s about the friendships and the fun!

6 Likes

This advice is primarily for younger players and it’s not true in every situation, but most people are not going to “get” what you’re doing. Don’t let your motivation for throwing be to look cool or impress people, because it won’t. Without a personal interest in yo-yo’s, the average person is going to either ignore you, or stare at you blankly for a minute and then move on.

Remember that yo-yo’ing is all about you having fun. The personal satisfaction of learning new tricks should be all the motivation you’ll ever need.

7 Likes

Ive put scratches in my yoyo with a paperclip before, so I prefer using my fingernails or something wooden if possible.

When I got back into throwing last year, I told myself that I really only wanted to get good enough to throw a 1A combo flashy enough to impress non-yoyoers. Turns out I was wrong on multiple levels. For one, I was not satisfied with learning just a couple tricks, and two, people are generally not impressed with a 30+ year old doing yoyo tricks. Kids like it, but they are also easily impressed because even a basic bind looks fun to do.

9 Likes

Wear shoes in the house. Safety first, then teamwork.

3 Likes

Yup, that about sums it up for me.

2 Likes

I’ve never scratched a yoyo with a paperclip, but some of my yoyos are a bit scratched up. I dinged the red one today (I marked the ding with an arrow) … boy was I bummed. :smile:
57%20PM

15 Likes

:rofl: :rofl:

13 Likes

Yea well, id rather not scratch up a newer yoyo if I don’t have to, but lol.

3 Likes