Give one piece of advice

… in the yoyo world which other people might not know.

My one: rub a tissue on a bearing seat to remove grime. It can stop dirt getting into the bearing and sometimes reduce vibe.

12 Likes

The cheap plastic style letter openers make good string tools… the pointy tip is a great knot picker and the blade is a great string cutter.

7 Likes

I always have a toothpick in my mouth or close at hand when I throw just so I can quickly pick out knots.

a wooden chopstick is a great tool for cleaning bearings - soak in acetone, drop onto chopstick and blow out with compressed air. I keep a little glass bowl, a bottle of 100% acetone nail polish remover, can of compressed air, wooden round chopstick, tiny pin (for removing c-clips and applying thin lube), and a bottle of thin lube out on my workbench. I love a clean quiet bearing so I just have this permanently set out.

edit to say that those are both probably common knowledge, but just my most useful regular habits.

7 Likes

Do not get frustrated when you fail. This is the key to becoming great.

14 Likes

As far as collecting goes… It’s quality not quantity that you want! Resist the urge to by every EBay POS in the beginning.

6 Likes

Yes!

I would further elaborate with: Never Give Up (on a trick).

I have found that every trick that seems impossible to master eventually does get conquered with enough practice. The amount of practice it will take for any given trick is impossible to predict, and sometimes it is a lot, but if you give up on it it is 100% certain that you’ll never get it. But if you don’t give up you will eventually get it.

Never. Give. Up.

12 Likes

it’s ok to give up on learning a trick exactly as you saw it on youtube. Take some element(s) and make it your own, or create something that makes sense to you. It may not be the same, but it may still look fine.

12 Likes

Im also going to add to not set the yoyo down when your mad or upset. Always set it down on a high point. After a perfect bind, or a clean combo. Or even just hitting a banger dead on. By setting it down at these high points, youll come back sooner to play more and be happier in the time between. Sat it down when your angry or miffed by not getting something over and over, youll be less likly to pick it back up and will degrade your mental standpoint to stop on a low.

12 Likes

There is no greater joy than walking the dog on a hiking trail as it kicks up dust. Try it.

3 Likes

play on a carpet/mat underneath you with at least 3 feet of open space indoor. your gonna ding up your $140 metal toy…

6 Likes

Learn to do at least a basic finger grind. You will be asked a thousand times " can you walk the dog?" Instead of explaining about scratching the finish you can instead say something like " no, my dog is lazy and makes me carry him everywhere" finger grind, get a laugh, move on.

25 Likes

I like this a lot. I’ve only been at this for like 3 months so far, and I’ve gotten this question multiple times already.

Once was from a kid of about 8 or so. I knew it wouldn’t be satisfying to him for me to explain that, yes, I could, but I don’t want to ding my pricy yoyo.

I immediately knew I wanted to give him a yoyo when he approached me, so I told him I couldnt, but I’m sure he could with a little practice, and gave him the velocity I had in the house.

I wish more kids would come ask me about yoyos. Seeing how happy that kid was is one of the best you experiences I’ve had yet

8 Likes

Understand why you yoyo. The answer is different for most everyone, yet the same. I yoyo for the joy of it. The joy it brings me and the joy many others experience when watching someone joyfully yoyoing. For this reason, Walk the Dog! Yoyo in public with a yoyo you are willing to share. Caring is sharing! Thus the dog is the one on the leash not you. (Why yoyo in protection mode all the time?)

Not saying anyone is wrong just offering a different perspective.

6 Likes

Best advice here.

4 Likes

Majorest key. I do this to every yoyo i get, and i always find a ton of gunk

1 Like

Your progress isn’t going to be on a steady incline. There will be slumps where you just aren’t landing tricks anymore. It’s times like those, where you sometimes need to recalibrate and practice your basic mounts and fundamentals. That’s something that I try to not lose sight of.

10 Likes

push through the phase of not being able to create or learn new tricks.

6 Likes

For people just starting to learn horizontal yoyoing, start with a banana turnover to get into combos.

1 Like

Definitely agree with throwing on carpet or grass with lots of space around you. If you get an expensive yo-yo, the resale value will depend on the condition.
MINT = $$$

1 Like

David is 100 percent correct.

I started learning this trick 20 years ago.

And I am so close to landing it; it’s amazing.

It just takes determination and willpower.

And once I get Trapeze wired; I’ll start producing instructional videos for the Braille Institute.

4 Likes