Getting into 5a

I’ve tried on numerous occasions to delve into 5a, most of them being unsuccessful. I’d pop on a counterweight and watch some of Miggy’s tutorials. I learned some of the basics, but I never really got into it.

Today, however, on a whim, I decided to try again. I had absentmindedly made a little string ball that was the right size and shape to be a counterweight, so I started playing around with it. This time, though, I approached it differently. Rather than seeing it as something completely new, I looked at it as an extension of my 1a. I started experimenting with some 1a concepts and played around with the counterweight a bit. Pretty quickly I got the hang of it, and I came up with a few decent original ideas for 5a. Nothing to impressive, but enough to make me feel pretty satisfied with myself (something that happens very rarely to me when yoyoing).

So, for all those trying out a new style, don’t think of it as something completely new. Learn a few of the basics, and then start applying concepts you already know! You’ll be getting into it in no time!

Learning 5a is a lot like me throwing my yo-yo across the room. :wink: I’ll see if that helps!

5a is like 1a but more fun and dropping your all on the floor all the time. So I suggest buying a good plastic then moving on to a full metal.

I have my trusty beat to heck genesis whenever I feel like doing a bit of 5a

My trusty northstar has been serving me well so far, but I might use the Surge instead depending on how I like it when I get it. I’ll probably be getting a second Surge as well to get into 3a.

As far as being a more fun version of 1a, I can agree with that to a degree. It opens up a lot of new doors, but I think 1a still has its own perks.

I can’t get past the throw. I can’t get the same power.

just keep on throwing just like when you first thrown your first throw.

Eh, I dabble in 5a occasionally, but 2a is more my style.

2a has been the bane of my existence for the most part, but at MA states I picked up some unleasheds and some macarons and I actually felt pretty good about my looping skills! It’s extremely gratifying. I’m planning on picking up a pair of upper-quality loopers to get into 2-handed.