General Yoyo Thoughts

“…undersized organic … nostalgia trip.”

Yeah, that doesn’t resonate with me whatsoever. Out of curiosity, how far back does one’s involvement in yoyoing generally have to go for one to feel the irresistible pull of such throws?

3 Likes

From things you’ve posted in the past, I think sentimentality like that may affect you less than others, which is cool. It’s similar to the bazillion conversations I’ve had w people about why I prefer to throw wood when unresponsive metal is a thing. For me, the 2004-2007 period is super special because it’s where certain “best practices” were established through trial and error. Anti-Yo of this period were full of “error” and yet TONS of players agreed that they provided a unique and positive play experience. So even though a Radian, Peak, or 888 might make for a more consistent throw, Eetsit, Bape, Fluchs, and YWET have an equally resonant “je ne sais quois” (don’t ask me to sais what the ‘quois’ is cause I don’t!). But I DO think that being nostalgically attracted to throws from when we were developing (either personally or as a community) affects different players on a wide spectrum.

10 Likes

For things which are subject to the march of progress, yes, that is definitely true of me.

For instance, even though I grew up on the hard rock sound of tube amps and analog effects pedals, I have no sentimentality towards that outdated technology, not when digital simulation does the same job, more reliably, more consistently, and for less money. I’ll take performance and versatility over nostalgia any day.

However, there are some things which are not much different today than they were 40 years ago when I first encountered them, and so it is much easier for me to see the merits of their various forms across all those decades.

5 Likes

For me, the YWET is my perfect yoyo. The shape is comfy in the hand (very similar to a FHZ in my opinion which is great!) and I like that it’s on the heavier side of the spectrum. I tend to carry my yoyo in my pocket and the narrower shape makes this ideal. I do tend to lean towards yoyos of this style, not for nostalgic reasons but just because I like how they feel.

Probably why I like the Panorama so much because of the similarities it shares. Definitely try and get one if you’re curious about the popularity.

6 Likes

Only knowing your collection from what you post the Gorge plays in the same vein as a YWET. And there is really nothing to “Get”, even when RSO realeased the YWETi’s this last year it has 8 to 7 variants, kind of a tribute to all the different YWET editions that are so coveted. Its just basic supply and demand .

1 Like

I certainly understand that equation. However, I don’t “get” the demand side of it in this case. But that’s because I was not a yoyoer at a time when that design (and that brand) delivered something considered deeply nostalgic today.

1 Like

Think of a-rt but from a different time. There was a certain culture/ vibe associated with Anti-Yo

5 Likes

Random thought as I’m throwing on my lunch break.

The sounds that metal yoyo’s make when a bind is made are so satisfying:
shwing
thock

8 Likes

I realized today that the Bastet II has virtually the same size and catch zone profile as the Top Deck, which probably explains why I like it so much. One look at the inner cups, however, and you can see that the Top Deck has quite a bit less center mass, giving it a bit more power and stability than the Bastet II. Nevertheless, I would say that my favorite low cost alternatives to the VTWO and Top Deck (my two favorite monometals) are the Cyber Crash and Bastet II, respectively.

9 Likes

I feel like I’m in this weird rut…not that “everything feels stale and I have no will to throw” but more of “I can’t keep up with life right now because I’m so busy at work.” I do still take a throw with me to work every day, always carrying a couple in my bag (usually a responsive and a 1A throw). I need to get a match back under it, slow down and pick these back up again instead of just carrying extra cargo to work.

6 Likes

Just wanted to share this

6 Likes

I hear ya. Totally! I always have one in my pocket no matter where I go and I always have another one in my bag when I go to work, but sometimes, even at home, I throw out of habit and not necessarily out of passion. It’s more of a fidget thing at times and not me trying to push myself to advance. They’re toys and it can be dangerous if we let our lives revolve around them. Since most people here do not post much about their personal lives we can get the wrong impression that their lives revolve around their yoyos so when we are not red-hot-on-fire for yoyoing we sometimes feel bummed out and as if we are slacking or not keeping up with the pack. If yoyoing does not interest us for periods of time…that’s okay. Take care of yourself, take care of your family, take care of business. Our yoyos will be ready for some fun whenever we have time for them.

7 Likes

So, i had a huge revalation when finally dedicating some time to perfect Spirit Bomb. I haven’t landed the trick in the last few hundred times i tried, but these are attempts of less than 10 spaced over about a year. I got intimidated and gave up, but today i finally figured out why i haven’t been landing it. I was never opening the pocket of the second throw with my throw hand thumb, and thus the pocket has just been too small for the yoyo to fit.

After a few adjustments to the new finger catch, im landing it consistently. This is a big deal for me since ive been wanting to land this trick solid for years now, and i knew that my skills are definitely more than good enough to land it. So satisfied right now :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

19 Likes

Just wanted to share that turning point is now making an mg yoyo @Grendel

5 Likes

Saw a raw version up there as well. Everything sold out ofcourse!

3 Likes

So apparently DNA has become, in the eyes of some, this generation’s Walk the Dog. In addition, TikTok has become, in the eyes of some, the great deliverer of the message of yoyoing to the masses. I don’t think that either will turn out to be true in the long term, but I’m curious what everyone else thinks.

7 Likes

I don’t tik tok but it seems every day Brandon Vu has a DNA-related video he crossposts to youtube. You may be right and for the moment it’s the new Walk the Dog but it’ll eventually burn out and no one will want to see DNA and it’ll be forgotten about unlike Walk the Dog.

5 Likes

I think this video will have some lasting impact:

I’ve heard a couple times from new yoyoers that this video got them interested in the hobby.

DNA bind, I think, is very catchy and a great way to hook someone into watching a video if they see it. A great technique for platforms like TikTok, at least until they change something about how they sort new posts.

9 Likes

I think ticktock is a great way to promote yoyoing. It intrigues kids, and brings new people into the hobby everyday. And who cares if it’s a DNA as long as people are getting into the hooby thats all that matters. Some people such as Gentry, Brandon and Angelo are pulling 10’s of millions of views. How often can modern yoyo get that type of recognition?

7 Likes

It feels pretty weird how people talk about yoyo tiktok being very influential, with people saying yoyo clips get millions of views. I’ve never been on tiktok, but looking at other websites, yoyo still seems very niche. But considering the shutter has like 100,000+ sales or something, there are actually just a ton of people who play yoyo now. When shutter is like 40 some dollars too, whatever is driving those sales numbers seems to be doing a great job. I can’t imagine the average kid spending that much money on a yoyo if the hobby didn’t seem very appealing.

7 Likes