General Yoyo Thoughts

I love the YYR classics. I’ve had decent luck picking up a few over the last year while most people buying older yoyos have been obsessed with anti-yo, A-RT and early CLYW. The overdrive is the last one I really want to find.

1 Like

Take that sleipnir was my favorite

2 Likes

My wife told me to put snacks on the list

12 Likes

your wife is a smart woman… keep her! you are quite genius yourself :thinking:

5 Likes

thinking of getting one of these, simply vote what you think i should get, no need to reply.

• Orbital GTX
  • Grasshopper GTX

0 voters

4 Likes

So I found out that a certain site is doing 40% off for National YoYo Day…and then I found out they no longer have the green/gold grasshopper gtx listed. :sob: :sob: :sob:

5 Likes

hence my poll above. :joy: is the discount active now? or does it start the 6th?

4 Likes

Active now :slight_smile:

3 Likes

yes! thank you my friend.

3 Likes

This is more of a question than a thought, but are there any tutorials or guides on how to make your own string rig? I’m wanting to start making string for my self (and potentially start selling).

4 Likes

there’s a lot of great info here:

5 Likes

Also here’s a few search results you may want to go through :slight_smile:

https://forums.yoyoexpert.com/search?q=%22string%20rig%22%20in%3Atitle

2 Likes

Only Takeshi afaik. And he’s just one person but he also is in contention for the :goat: so that might be worth considering. But he’s used a wide range of stuff in general.

5 Likes

Marcus Koh used his titanium to compete as well. @beezy

6 Likes

My good friend Augie used a catch 22 on stage once at Nats. And he Dinged it really well, I could here the ding loudly from the fourth row that day in Chico.

6 Likes

Cool, thanks for the examples of titanium use in competition. Still, though, why not even more examples? I mean, I understand Ti is nice and all, but maybe it doesn’t give such a big advantage. Just speculation, though. I’ve never played with one to understand the magic :sweat_smile:

1 Like

The pros of titanium are discussed in some depth here: https://yoyo.fandom.com/wiki/Yo-yo_Materials

I only own one ti throw (Vayder), so I can’t speak broadly to the benefits of titanium versus aluminum. But a couple of quick notes:

1. Durability. I had one mishap with my Vayder where the string slipped off my finger and it went flying across the room. Not a mark on it, while similar incidents with my other yoyos have always left at least a tiny mark.
  2. Play. The feel during play is definitely unique and it is among my best performers.
  3. That ting.
7 Likes

I’ve only got 3, but they all play differently. I’ve also got a titanium rimed profly that Skon made that plays just As big as my other full ti throws. Which is why I’ve gone to magnesium for my primary throws. Jmtc

2 Likes

It does give an advantage, but not as much as you think.

In addition, yoyo companies want you to buy their yoyo. If yoyofactory sent evan nagao out there with a TiSS Edge that cost 450 dollars, they might make a few sells, but nowhere near as much profit as if he competed with the edge/ultimatum. I think this kinda happened to him actually with the edge beyond retailing for 150$ after he won worlds. Still not super expensive, but the lack of hype around it can definitely be seen. Tbh i think thats why they changed out the bearing and axle and cut the price recently.

Also compare that to the shutter and its popularity when gentry won the world yoyo contest.

7 Likes

Elvin from RSO here! Interesting discussion about Ti here. I’ve made most of my yo-yos in titanium so I would like to give my two cents! You’re right! Making any yo-yo, titanium or not, isn’t about pure hardcore performance. Like most things in life, functionality is not all that matters. You can buy a Toyota to get from point A to B, but you can also do the same with a Ferrari.

Some things I would like to share:

1. Titanium is expensive and risky to make, which is why it is more expensive.

Prototyping and production can be about 10x the cost of an aluminum yo-yo. If there is a screw up, the impact is huge. I’ve been burnt twice. My first experience was doing a small run of my bimetal titanium without prototyping, wall thickness 0.5 mm. Yo-yos had bad vibe. The machinist wasn’t experienced enough to tell me my design couldn’t be made smooth (see second point). My second experience was with the Yweti. I had sent some halves to do some test ano and they went smoothly, but when I sent the entire production batch in, they were destroyed. About 50 yo-yos of the 70 piece run were sold as B-grades.

1. The “extreme” weight distribution you get with titanium isn’t always the case.

I’ve been working on a bimetal titanium and only recently I managed to succeed. I went through 4 machinists and 6 prototypes (will be showcasing these prototypes and explaining their design changes when I release the yo-yo). Whether you can machine titanium to 0.5 mm (which many machinists claim to be a lowest limit) depends a lot of the shape and size of the yo-yo. A very low wall, steep V shape, large width/diameter yo-yo is impossible to make at 0.5 mm for titanium because the material warps during the machining process - you get vibe as a result. In such a scenario you would need to thicken the body and that consequently reduces rim weight. If you had made the same design in aluminum you might achieve even more extreme weight distribution.

1. It does have it’s advantages.

I feel that the denser nature of Ti does give the yo-yo a more premium feel. If you throw a Bapezilla vs Mecha-Bapezilla, although they are meant to be 1:1, it is just different. Same if you threw the Bowl 7068 vs Ti Bowl, they are 1:1, but they feel different. It’s a feeling that I cannot describe and you would need to try it out yourself. It also has a ring to it. It’s also more durable, so you have less worry about damaging the yo-yo when you unscrew it for example, the axle strips before the yo-yo does.

If you are a competitor and want a long spinning yo-yo with a lot of power, and you’re on a budget, titanium is probably not a good choice. But people buy yo-yos for different things, and functionality is not all that matters to some.

I created RSO to make yo-yos with an old school feel which I find has been lost in recent times, which is partly why I have been collaborating with older companies. I love to work with titanium because again I love the premium feel of the material and how it plays compared to aluminum - it’s something I realized time and again as I collect Ti yo-yos over the years. I own every Luftverk, YYR, OD titanium model, and most of TPs and sOMEtHING - they are just not the same as aluminium yo-yos. And for RSO I want to make yo-yos that have that same feel.

30 Likes