General Yoyo Thoughts

I /luv :green_heart:/:orange_heart: half-swaps :slight_smile:

1 Like

My opinion is that a full size and half spec bearing will spin the same if prepared the same. When you say a half spec doesn’t spin as well as a full size, how are you determining this? By putting it in a yoyo or a free spin type of test of just the bearing? If in a yoyo it will obviously appear to not spin as well as a full size due to the narrower gap and the string being closer to the response pads, thus slowing the yoyo more than if you had a full size C bearing. So unless you test the bearing itself, you cannot reliably say they don’t spin as well as a full size. It’s really the application environment that is affecting the perceived spin.

1 Like

More jojos as I continue to mess around with Illustrator. They’re all 50mm/40mm/2010-sized yoyos, one of them is ripped straight from my Y-factor minus the grooves :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Nothing as technical. I put the bearings on the end of a removel tool and used my finger to spin. Full size C spun substantially longer than the half spec.

I’ve had yoyos come with dry half spec bearings which are pretty much unresponsive, so I think if zero string contact with the walls occurs, they would spin about the same time as a dry C size bearing

3 Likes

That’s cool!

Before you know it you’ll be ready for full 3D CGI modeling and rendering!

ironman_yoyo_v02

ironman_yoyo_spinning_v02

11 Likes

Replay has been in the dye mix for almost a half hour, and hasn’t taken on any black color. what should i do?

5 Likes

Which dye are you using and which instructions are you following to dye the yoyo? It’d help to have a baseline for what process you’re working through.

3 Likes

i watched Dylan’s video on it on YouTube. 2 parts water to 1 part Acetone, and a bit of dye for just a few minutes. Rit Dyemore, and it seemed like he used warm water.

4 Likes

Update: the green caps have darkened a bit, but the rest is not black.

3 Likes

what is the OG color way of your replay?

3 Likes

Replay Pro, transparent dark blue body w/ neon green caps.

3 Likes

ok, I don’t know much about dying throws but the dark color might have somthing to do with it

4 Likes

That’s an awesome design!!

3 Likes

Thanks. I call it the Avenger Mk. VI, but I don’t know if that pattern could be anodized accurately.

1 Like

What kind of plastic is it? The process for dying poly carb plastic differs from Delrin or Celcon.

2 Likes

i checked… Plastic, lmao. i’ll do more research.

1 Like

You do not need to use acetone, and you especially shouldn’t be boiling it.

See: Yoyo dyeing discussion thread

For dyemore you do need to heat the dye though, just below boiling (do not add acetone or any other solvent, it’s dangerous)

4 Likes

Delrin and Celcon are “plastic” as is poly carb, and a number of other “plastics.” But they all require different methods. Poly carb uses acetone, some others (delrin, celcon) don’t.

1 Like

This is unnecessary with modern synthetic dyes. Acetone is a dangerous solvent and folks shouldn’t be using it for this purpose.

See: Reddit - Dive into anything for a process that goes without acetone and has good results.

5 Likes