General Yoyo Thoughts

I cant make tricks from wrist mount. It feels like such a dead mount to me. Like it looks like there would be a lot to do in it but i just cant avtually do much haha

7 Likes

Same here man :confused: So much untapped potential.

4 Likes

I have one trick that starts from there and thats it. Where i double on and then roll back into a magic drop sorta thing while in the mount and go from there. Thats the best i could do with that mount in the past 2 or 3 years lol

2 Likes

LMAO

1 Like

Yeah, I feel like original tech can be done in a smaller mount and be better.

2 Likes

Cool topic, this was/is my todayā€¦ finally played my Vayder alongside my stargazer 2.

(Full disclosure: midsize is my jam and the stargazer 2 has been my fave throw for a long, long time; never thrown a TiWalker, own a skywalker; been throwing almost daily for over a decade)

Just gonna say that Iā€™m thinking about selling the rest of my collection now, and thatā€™s not an idle commentā€¦ look out for my bst lolz

5 Likes

Todayā€™s thoughtsā€¦

1a is hard. How did I get so good at this. I AM good, all these IG folks are just gods idk. Even if someone played everyday for 8 hours Iā€™d be extremely impressed if they were at my level in 6 months. Wait thatā€™s over 1500 hoursā€¦ how much time have I put into this toy over the years? The amount of time it takes to get good at this is ridiculous. But I guess to be fair probably only 10-20% of my playtime actually went into active practice. Where would I be if 80% had been put into practice :thinking:

7 Likes

I found the speed of my yoyoing is greatly increased through music, so I guess pandora is my life now.

3 Likes

Yea dude, itā€™s crazy. Ive been playing for almost a year now and am nowhere even near your level. I feel like im a really bad player until I watch beginner videos and realize how much smoother I am than someone who has only been playing for a couple months. When I first started yoyoing, all I wanted to be able to do was a few basic tricks like Buddhaā€™s Revenge to be able to show off to friends. Double or nothing was actually a trick to me back then, lol. I am now much better than I planned on being, but it isnt enough and I want to get even better.

8 Likes

haha thatā€™s how I feelā€¦Iā€™ve been at it for 4 or 5 months and I feel like Iā€™m just a super slow learner or something.
But then when I step backā€¦I realize Iā€™m pulling off some pretty cool stuff TBH. Whips and slacks and hops (eli hops, kwyjibo, working on black hops, etc).
I wonder if Iā€™ll ever be at a point where I truly think Iā€™m ā€˜really goodā€™.
I will say thoughā€¦that Iā€™ve been having a ton of fun with this hobby. And as Iā€™m working on more difficult tricks (for me)ā€¦the more satisfying itā€™s getting.

5 Likes

Just think back in time to when you had to struggle to throw a clean breakaway and thought trapeze was somewhat tricky to nail. I still feel like I kinda suck, but It takes hundreds of hours by pretty much anyone to get to the point of where I am now, so itā€™s something at least.

And I just looked up black hops, and it isnt at all what I expected it to be (I was thinking something Eli Hops in a brother mount). I have to learn it, looks fun!

4 Likes

Itā€™s super funā€¦one of my favorite beginnerā€™ish tricks is rewindā€¦and black hops kinda reminds me of that but on steroids! lol

2 Likes

I havenā€™t done rewind in a long time, and just tried it out again, and it turns out I suck at it, lol. I use all of those string configurations in one way or another with my tricks, but I dont flow into them like rewind. Guess I gotta practice before learning the black hops. I can do it, but Iā€™m sloppy and mess up sometimes when going into some of the brother mounts. I think I forget the proper finger to wrap around. Going to have to watch a tut.

Edit: actually Iā€™m getting it now I think.

4 Likes

After a year at this I am still pretty bad at it. Progress has slowed to something of a crawl, so while I have a handful of decent tricks under my belt, thereā€™s not enough in my repertoire yet to put together anything resembling a 3-minute ā€œbeginner freestyleā€, not without repeating every trick I can land at least five or six times along the way.

Much of this has to do with the very limited amount of time I play/practice. I am not addicted to yoyoing so I donā€™t seek out opportunities to sneak in play time (at work, at home, whatever). I play when the mood strikes me and there is time and space available. Turns out that isnā€™t all that often, and so naturally my progress is glacial.

But dang if I donā€™t love these lovely, spinny things anywayā€¦

12 Likes

Well if itā€™s any consolation, I am going on three years [come February], and I donā€™t even have enough tricks under my belt to create a 3 minute beginner freestyleā€¦ It doesnā€™t bother me in the slightest either.

Which brings me to my contribution to the actual topic at hand:

It dawned on me the other day, that gyroscopic toys are just absolutely fascinating to me. Yoyos, spintops, frisbees [think about itā€¦ gyroscopic force is what makes them behave the way they do in the airā€¦ Itā€™s a tripā€¦].

Try doing anything with a yoyo that isnā€™t spinning, or a top that isnā€™t spinning, or throwing a frisbee without putting a spin on it. Gyroscopic force is what brings these things to life!!

These things are so intriguing to me! I experience so much genuine fun when playing with gyroscopic toys.

11 Likes

Gyroscopic force is also what keeps you upright on a bicycle when you arenā€™t doing the ā€œkeep my balanceā€ dance while not moving.

9 Likes

It is! I love riding bikes too! haha

4 Likes

I feel like Humpty-Dumptyā€™s bigger brother on a bike. >.<ā€™

3 Likes

I feel the same way and Iā€™ve been throwing since 1999 haha :sweat_smile:. For me itā€™s just hard to find time to learn new things, I probably play a lot more cause I do have a throw on me wherever I go, but any throwing away from home is just having fun playing around and also repeating the tricks I already know a lot. I am a super slow learner so when I want to learn something I have to have some freetime where I can actually focus on what Iā€™m trying to learn.

The good thing about this for me is I rarely forget whatever Iā€™ve learned since thereā€™s so much time in between new tricks, I tend to repeat what I know so much that itā€™s pretty cemented in muscle memory by the time I try something new.

3 Likes

Bro, as Chad said, Iā€™m 3 years into this, and have nowhere near 3 minutes of tricks on me.

3 Likes