FORUM CONTEST! Ed Haponik’s Fixed Axle Challenge!

yeah… smh

Yeah, there are some questions. Some people never used fixed axles and don’t know all the ways it can be done and have questions about it. Some people want to know if they can use modified yoyos for the contest. Most of the people interested in this contest are doing something new, which is the whole point of the contest. I’m glad that you know everything there is to know about yoyos and what Andre and Ed are thinking about the contest, but others don’t.

can’t speak for anyone else, but i think it’s more the fact that there are a lot of people who don’t know what “fixed axle” means (that the axle rotates with the yo-yo and doesn’t spin on its own) that i find surprising.

i’m not surprised at all by people wanting to modify yo-yo’s to participate in the contest. i’d RATHER they bought a fixed axle from YYE (or anywhere), but it’s not a big deal. what new players will find after the first few rounds is that fixed play is an equalizer, and that you really are just as well off with a $3 butterfly from walgreens than a draupnir with a modified fixed axle sleeve.

if you have no other options and you have to modify a bearing yo-yo to be fixed axle, remember you HAVE to show the guts in your video so people will understand. it won’t matter much though - long sleepers will not really be necessary for most of these tricks. i’ll be doing all the tricks on a no jive.

look for the 1st trick in its own thread on friday! it’ll start off pretty easy, but i promise it’ll get challenging enough for anyone who’s up to it. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

K so take that we don’t have a fixed axle yoyo so how can we modify an yoyo to be fixed axel like you only need a wooden bearing (whatever its called) of the bearing size or you can even use other material like plastic or metal.

You can use anything as long as its bearing does not spin freely. At least, that’s what I’ve gotten

Only thing I’ve been curious about, using a No Jive or Tmbr, will I need to take it apart at the end of every video to show there is no bearing in it?

I don’t think so. I think you just show it, then put a string on it and do the trick

Are we going to be posting the videos in this thread, or are there going to be threads created in the video section for each round?

What I think caused so much confusion is because a Duncan Butterfly, a Duncan Profly, A TIMBR Irving, and a TK No Jive are all fixed axles, but all have different guts. All these fixed axle yoyos and more are constructed differently. Take apart all the ball bearing yotos, and they all tend to look the same; the guts from a YYF can swap out in a CLYW or a YYO.

i’ll defer to andre/garrett, but if you’re in india and don’t have the ability to order or purchase a fixed yo-yo, yeah i think you can modify a bearing yo-yo if you want to participate, showing the guts like i said. IMO, you CAN’T just use a locked up bearing, because that’s too hard to show that it’s locked on video. you CAN use a wooden sleeve that replaces the bearing OR you could break apart a bearing and use the grooved inner race as an axle sleeve.

i think that would be unnecessary if you’re using a no jive or tmbr. if you’re using something like a proyo/profly, which would just as easily be a bumblebee, then i think you need to show the guts.

there will be a specific thread for each round. i’ll post the trick in it first, and then you’ll post your videos/links in the thread up to the assigned cutoff time.

yeah it’s funny. rewind to about 2005 or so and that wasn’t the case AT ALL. you had your “tom kuhn” bearings, your “duncan” bearings, your “yyj large” bearings, your “renegade” bearings, your “raider” bearings, your “spyy/hspin” bearings, your “oxy” bearings, and of course your dif konkaves… crazy how standardized it’s all gotten.

I’m looking forward to this! My first contest!

How do we post videos? I know how to shoot the video, I just don’t know how to upload and post it. I don’t know if it matters, but I’ve never posted a YouTube video either.

I DO know what a fixed axle is.

If you have a smartphone, you shoot the video with that, and can upload directly to YouTube in the app, so long as you’re signed into your Google account. If you don’t have a Google account (think an @gmail.com account), then it’s easy and free to create one. Then just hit uploads in the menu of the app and there should be a button to upload.

If you’re going to do it from your computer, you’ll just need to transfer the video to your computer from whatever you shoot it on, then log into YouTube and it should be fairly straightforward. There will be some options for quality, which higher quality/longer videos will take longer to upload. For this contest, I’d say shoot for 720p if you can, but 480p may be okay if you’re using good light.

1 Like

I have my O.U.T Cheap Thrills and some Butterfly’s ready.

What string is everyone using? Grabbed some of the YYE cotton, but not the Type 10 since it was sold out. Seems to work fine, but sometimes a bit more response from a thicker string would be ideal. I have zero interest in making my own… So what are the best available options?

Thanks. I’ve got that all put together now.

One more question. Once I’ve put the video into my YouTube account, how do I post the video here?

I think you should just be able to copy the URL and post it. I’m not exactly sure how to embed videos here, can somebody else chime in here?

So when the videos come out, will it be a post here, or will it be in the original post?
I don’t want to miss it.

To embed a video just post the link without the s in https://

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbsawOftVXs just shows up as a link

without the s it embeds the video:

1 Like

We actually just got our bulk string shipment in so type 10 Cotton will be online later today.