For the Sponsored, previeously sponsored and Dedicated i have a question

I got your point, if others did not. I think you were being helpful, and others thanked your post as well. :slight_smile:

To move the discussion forward, I’d just like to give some props to the sponsored players who posted in here. I hear a lot about the sponsored players who don’t want to post on the forums now that they’re professional. That’s their prerogative, but I’d just like to give credit to those who are doing great work for companies, but have not given up on having a discussion like this with all the non-professionals here. :smiley:

Now, I’m wondering if anyone has actually “applied” for a sponsorship, and if so, what was the application process? Was it a literal application, or did you submit a package that included a cover letter, yo-yo resume, and a video of your skills? I know what a job application entails, so that’s how I would envision it for yo-yo. I wonder if I am correct. I also came up with a list of questions I’d imagine being on such a sponsorship application, if it ever existed. If anyone is interested in seeing the questions, I’ll post them. But, it would be difficult to answer the questions with credibility, unless you were actually qualified.

1 Like

Can’t see thank yous (on mobile) but thanks to all the thankers.

sponsorship is weird. it’s very much the kind of thing where if you’re not enough without one, you’ll never be enough WITH one. a lot of people don’t get that and they rush into situations that aren’t a good fit. and then the issue is compounded because, since we tend to place a lot of importance on being sponsored, people don’t want to leave a situation even if it’s not working.

i’ve always been approached by the companies/people i’ve worked with. honestly, i’ve always been surprised to have been asked, which has been good because it’s helped me clarify expectations going in. your job (and it does feel like one) is to raise the profile of the company in a positive way. if you don’t have the interest or ability to do that, you’re not going to be worth the company’s attention. but if a company’s image, business practices, or expectations are not everything you would look for, they’re not worth YOUR attention. the second part is lost on a lot of players, especially the younger ones.

i’m not a competitor. i have competed, but that’s never been an expectation for my sponsors, which is unusual. our market is so small though that almost everyone who stands out in some way is potentially marketable. i mostly stood out for playing a lot of fixed axle, which is funny because the first 3 companies i worked with were really about selling metal yo-yo’s. from the beginning, my situation with spyy was about developing an interesting throw that i could use for my own responsive style, which became the flying v. it was a really awesome risk for him to take, as was allowing me to play fixed for a year and designing the eh for me. that was a really successful situation for me, because spyy wanted to actively encourage me to play the way i wanted to (which was way less popular in 2009). also, spyy built up a team full of players that were all unusual in some way and it felt like a perfect little xavier’s-school-for-gifted-youngsters kinda home. when a sponsorship feels like that, it’s a no-brainer.

after spyy folded and werrd asked about my joining them, that was 90% about me liking the team. they are just about the best people on the planet. but it all comes back to your yo-yoing, and a sponsorship can’t JUST be about the people. it became a grind to feel like the playing i was most interested in was not really possible with their products. i didn’t need to be sponsored at all, so i walked away, which you’ve gotta be able to do. it sucked because i have so many good friends on werrd, but they’re still my friends. my current situation with tom kuhn developed about a week after i left. that’s a company i’ve been enamored of since i started yo-yoing. it’s also a different situation because it’s not a “team” at all - it’s just about my connection with the products, the people who have made them, and the company’s super-cool history. it’s the most like a job of any arrangement i’ve had, but also the easiest for me to do because of the connection/investment.

anyway, apologies for the length. i really do think it’s important for beginning yo-yoers to be willing to HAVE a beginning (by which i mean 5 years or so where you’re figuring out your approach and how you really feel about yo-yoing). trying to go from 0-sponsored as quickly as possible is counterproductive, because then you GET sponsored and you realize that yo-yoing was never really just about FUN for you. it was just a scramble to get something, and you have none of that joy to draw from when you’re trying to rep a brand. getting sponsored is really nice, but don’t lose sight of what you’re being sponsored to DO, which is play with a toy and make it look fun.

2 Likes

Inspirational speech ed. Thanks.

I think Steve is right, you have to know why you want to get sponsored.
I passed up college wrestling scholarships because it wasn’t what I wanted anymore or why I wrestled in the first place. I think it’s safe to say yoyoing sponsorships WOULD require you to be more involved in competitions and online communities since there aren’t exactly scouts at colleges or high schools. I would say asking and talking to those who could sponsor you is a great idea, and let’s face it, if you are Gentry Stein good and half a decent person I’m sure they would love to sponsor you. Being at the right place at the right time I’m sure would help very much too.

I loved wrestling always but at times I hated it. To become great it takes time, dedication, discipline, and a strong motivation. People on here and in life love to say (and I’m fine with it) just play for the fun of it. I’m of a different breed though. Some of the things I remember and love the most have come from hard HARD work that wasn’t always fun, but achieving something takes time and work.

Not all of us are blessed with natural talent and so to become great we gotta work for it, and if your lucky enough to loove what you do and nonstop practice and work is fun and easy then more power to you. (But common, let’s be honest and say probably 80% of new throwers wanted to throw their yoyo through a window trying to learn magic drop…ughhhhhh!!!)

I think your decision to leave your initial sponsorship was a good idea, because it wasn’t what you wanted.

1 Like

Well a good friend of mine overt on the Facebook forums decided to start s company and put me on his team. So Yes I am Sponsored bur don’t really compete but just moderate our page and what information will become available for our guest release.

1 Like

#understatement

All joking aside I’m sure all the guys and gals that play at that level are already sponsored, or at least been offered one.

1 Like

Extremely not true. There are unsponsored players of that calibre, and there are even more sponsored players who are sponsored for more than competition placement.

1 Like

Some people are unsponsored because they prefer to be. Just ask Darnell Hairston.

I didn’t say that everybody at that level had a sponsor. My point is that they either are sponsored,or they have been offered one but chose to decline.

It actually is an understatement to say that “if you Gentry good… I’m sure they’d love the to sponsor you”. Isn’t that quite obvious. Who wouldn’t get sponsorship offers if they had won nationals, won worlds, then get close to winning nats again?

1 Like

Haha, it shouldn’t happen but it does. That’s the problem.

So you agree with him?

He already said this like 3 or 4 post ago. He made it clear that he knows it happens. He is just stating that when conclusions are drawn about a whole community based solely upon an individual’s actions, they will often be inaccurate and unhelpful.

He’s done posting, and the conversation has moved on.

1 Like

Sponsorship fell into my lap - I quit - I never took ENG101 - I don’t want to be sponsored (again?) - but I want to know how…

What?

I never got sponsored, instead, I sponsored myself :).

So there are several things to reply to so i wont bother qouting them all.
My sponsorship flopped because i decided to withdraw it was one of those situations where the yoyo didn’t fit my style, i lost faith in the company i was representing, and i thoroughly believe the company’s founder (no name will be given) was misrepresenting the community as a whole making me, the company and yoyoer’s altogether look bad. he trolled release post saying don’t buy this crap buy mine, buy my yoyo or go f*** yourself on threads and his facebook page and i wasn’t willing to represent that. I was hesitant to except it in the first place It was a couple years ago and at that point i had only been yoyoing for 3 years but i wanted to make a difference in the community. I thought i could bring it to places that had no exposure to it, inspire people to play, and generally help the scene grow. I was told i would have some developmental right in designs and was made a proto-tester however all but one proto had major flaws and even though i and many others mentioned how to fix these flaws our opinions were not accepted.
Steve Brown you are part of the reason why i excepted in the first place and why i would ever seek sponsorship out again if i did. You are what inspired me to yoyo in the first place i started yoyoing in 2009 watching your old duncan videos and you guys made it so fun for me and my friends. I went into my sponsorship with the hopes of similarly effecting/ motivating/ inspiring people and I know what my personal motivations are and why i have continued to yoyo after 5 years. I left the scene for 2 yrs but never quit throwing. I have competed and when i was actually prepared i managed to do fairly well. Got 4th place in Idaho states was on tv on the NWCN and beat a couple renown faces in a PNWR prelims that i had flopped on. I made a yoyo video that got over a 1000 views also. Hosted a yoyo club and All this i did because i felt inspired by my sponsorship and the fact that i was yoyoing for more than just myself i felt that i was doing it for the yoyo community.
It is this inspiration and memories of it that has led me to inquire what has kept other people going and ask how they managed to land their sponsors.
I thank all of you for you very legitimate post and meant no offense to anyone. I wasn’t trying to Generalize i was actually offhandedly referring to my old sponsor in case anyone recognized my name i didn’t want them to feel that i shared his opinions.
I want to give a major thanks to Ed who not only gave the how and why but also what to look for which was what i missed the first time round when i took a sponsorship.
It seems i have some people baffled why i have asked these questions yet state i am not interested and it is simply because I know the investment required and i can’t meet that criteria in my life right now but maybe in the near future i feel that i could. I will have more time on hand and better equipment to work with (IE better camera and computer) on top of actually have internet which would’ve help alot the first time round. If i were to be offered right now however i would decline as i already have twice cause i know what it takes ( time, dedication, money, and a whole lot of willpower and motivation)
Thanks again for all the replies

1 Like

I’m not sponsored. I don’t know how I even ended up being a part of this small company. Lol I think I just got lucky.

Step 1. Follow Spencer on Instagram
Step 2. On a photo where he says he may be starting up a company, tell him you can make a website.
Step 3. Wait for acceptance.
Step 4. You’re in.
Step 5. Be surprised that you’ve made it this far.

Let it be known that I have not even made the website yet.

He agrees with me.

LOL.

It helps to know everyone on the team and be good friends with the company, just be loyal and they’ll notices you

1 Like

What was the name of this company? Did the owner produce good yoyos? Did he sell them off his site?

No i didn’t like 2 of the 3 yoyos i proto tested cause they had major flaws the one that i thought actually played really well he was going to produce anymore of, no they didn’t have there own personal website and i said names shall be left out for the purpose of preserving peoples pride. I personally don’t feel it would be right to mention the name of the company or the owner. I mean no disrespect to him i just couldn’t support him in his actions

I wanna Give a Big thanks to everyone who did post helpful topics it is nice to hear what motivates those that yoyoing has gone from a hobby to work and how it became a something more than a hobby.
But i think i am done with the forums