Folk Rock fans?

I rediscovered Simon and Garfunkel a year back. Amazing.

I also discovered Iron and Wine. Amazing (except for their latest album which transitioned into a more electronic feel). Then from there, I found the Shins, Kansas’s “Dust in the Wind”, Crosby Stills and Nash, and Peter Paul and Mary, and Cat Stevens.

Anyone else like folk rock?

And what are some other artists or songs that have a similar “feel” to Simon and Garfunkel?

Kansas is absolutly amazing. Simon and Garfunkel are so so imo. But if you like that kind of stuff you might also like fleetwood mac.

I knew nothing about rock until the beginning of this semester when I took history of rock. Now I’m obsessed with all kinds of rock, folk is up there with my favorites, still developing taste for my preferred musicians though

“When you say Dylan, he thinks you’re talking about Dylan Thomas,
Whoever he was.” :wink:

Band of Horses

From what has been said so far, yes, I guess I do, but I never really got into folk rock.

CSN more country rack than folk rock. PPM mostly pure folk. Cat Stevens _ like most of his stuff but not sure what the genre is.

Ehhh No. Fleetwood Mac is definitely not in the same vein as S&G. More rock or light rock.

Maybe, but fleetwood mac could still considered folk rock, especially more so than kansas, kansas is more Americana rock, with some of there songs bordering prog rock.

The Decemberists recent stuff is amazing.

Mumford and sons.

1 Like

See when I hear folkrock, I think of Norwegian folkrock, which is mostly the same kind of mix, but Norwegian folk has a longer tradition compared to American folk.

Examples:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LocyLDGUBjg
www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAjq3Qojii4

JonasK, that was totally awesome. I need to remind myself to look up more of their stuff when I’m not about to collapse from exhaustion.

The man ain’t got no culture.

The Byrds were another one of the big early folk-rock bands. I think Donovan would probably fit in that mold as well. Bruce Springsteen has some good folk/folk rock albums, though not necessarily the same kind of feel as Simon and Garfunkel, et al. For more recent stuff, you might like The Tallest Man on Earth or Bright Eyes.

Nick Drake is kind of similar to Iron and Wine, I think.

2 Likes

I’ve been into Jeffrey Lewis lately. He’s folk with a touch of punk.