Flowable Silicone Cracks in Yoyos

Weird, that looks more like Play-Doh than the red Permatex RTV Gasket Maker I used to use. Is it very old RTV or did you already throw the yoyo a bunch before the picture? The shininess I remember was more like your first image of the red & green yoyo.

1 Like

I threw it a bunch before this. It is shiny, but after an hour of play this happens. It is not old. Itā€™s brand new RTV Gasket Maker

1 Like

I wonder, maybe you should try a different brand of silicone?

It seems to work for just about every YoYo person who silicones, so Iā€™d think I shouldnā€™t have any problems except the fact that I might be doing something wrong.

1 Like

I did a Google search and found this on Reddit:

I bought my flowable silicone from amazon: ā€¦ make sure you donā€™t get the ā€œRTVā€ version. It doesnā€™t work.

and this

I use the gasket maker flowable silicone and it does not last long. If I yo yo for an hour a day for a few days it comes out. Iā€™ve done it multiple times using the same method in the link someone else posted. Maybe itā€™s the type of silicone I use? I dont know. I donā€™t yo yo much anymore because of it.

Response

donā€™t use gasket maker. itā€™s messier, harder to install, harder to break in, and comes out in chunks. Generally a crappy product once youā€™ve learned the heaven that is flowable windshield and glass sealer silicone. Permatex #81730.

Itā€™s much runnier so installation is easier. It bonds well with itself and itā€™s groove so it doesnā€™t come out easily. lasts for weeks if you do it right.

So based on that information, plus your own experience, I think you should switch the silicone you useā€¦ away from RTV Gasket Maker type at least!

2 Likes

I am currently using Permatex Flowable Silicone Windshield and Glass Sealer. I just used the RTV stuff to show you the cracks because I had way more of it. But I had the same problem with the Permatex Flowable Silicone Windshield and Glass Sealer. I have it drying right now, and hopefully all the tips Iā€™ve gotten will make it not crack.

3 Likes

I can only think that possibly the humidity or dryness in your area/home is causing this. Iā€™ve never seen either silicone or gasket maker look like that after I applied it.

1 Like

Itā€™s not after being applied, itā€™s after playing with those pads in for a while.

I cleaned out the groove with a solvent, I massaged it into the corners, I made sure there were no air bubbles, I recessed it, I let it dry for 2 days, and it still started to crack after some play. If it helps, it cracks at the edges first. Could I possibly have done wrong? Should I send a video of me siliconing a yo-yo?

Oh no that sucks! And youā€™re using the Permatex #81730?

Yup, I have no idea what is wrong and it is so annoying because all my yo-yos need response pads. So they are all unplayable except the one I just siliconed which will last a week or less. :sob:

2 Likes

I just siliconed a new yo-yo, and I recessed it really deep, so if string catching on the pads is the problem, these shouldnā€™t crack

So that test failed. Anyone have any other genius ideas?

1 Like

Honestly, unless the stuff is coming out in chunks, I think mine do this too. The cracking, that is. But the response is still fine, that usually last for several weeks. Do you typically execute binds while the yoyo is still spinning at top speed? Thatā€™s the only thing that I can think of that would cause the response that much stress.

1 Like

Sometimes I do that, yeah, Iā€™ll try to not make the binds at such high speeds. But I donā€™t get how companiesā€™ pads are made of silicone, yet they have never ever cracked on me.

Super east and cheap to fix.

clean out the flow groove, Clean it with nail polish remover after the silicon is removed using a Q-tip. This will ensure there are no contaminants along the edge.

Grab your fav colour of Monkey SNOT. When i make the SNOT i only use the best top of the line flowable as the starting base.

Watch the easy to follow video on our youtube. Your silicon will end up a bit recessed not flush. wait 12 hours and you are all set. Problem solved.

Monkeyfinger Ray

5 Likes

Iā€™d love to try some of this stuff, Iā€™ve been seeing it pop up everywhere in discussions. I love doing my own silicone response

So you have had cracking problems with other silicones, but never ever with monkey snot? Other stuff is cheaper, but if monkey snot is a lot better and lasts a lot longer, I would get it.

Ive never had anyone say their SNOT cracked and came out. Now people have had contamination in the flow groove and it got pulled out. If you follow the direction and leave the silicone below the edge of the flow groove you will be golden.

Iā€™ve heard that it doesnā€™t store very well, even in fridges, like it doesnā€™t work as well after being stored. Is there truth to that? And also should I buy it from BillyBobā€™s or MFD website? Or does it matter? I can get 2 tubes for 7 bucks cheaper at BillyBobā€™s, but Iā€™ve heard some people say that websites other than MFD donā€™t deliver it the best, and it doesnā€™t work. Does it matter?

Mod Edit: Ummm, this forum is sponsored by YoYoExpert. Itā€™s not polite to mention competing online stores on a site sponsored by another online store
-jhb8426-