Flowable Silicone Cracks in Yoyos

I recently got Permatex Flowable Silicone Windshield and Glass Sealer to silicone my yoyos. I would apply it, let it sit for about 20-24 hours, and play with it. Very soon it would start to crack at the edges, and after around an hour of play, would start to peel, and soon fall off. (This was not because of getting lube in the silicone. I made sure that while lubing bearings I kept the bearing off the yoyo so lube wouldn’t touch the pads.) Why does this happen?

3 Likes

Are you recessing the silicone at all? The silicone can start to tear/crack as you play if you fill the response groove too far or leave any silicone protruding. The best option is to use a credit card corner or plastic spoon to recess the silicone while you pour it.

4 Likes

Thank you. I will try that. I hope it works.

Actually I have a feeling I tried that and it didn’t work, but I’ll try it again

If you can share a picture of what it looks like after you do it. And then again after you are having problems that would help too to see what’s going on. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I know this is kind of borderline “not helpful” and I apologize, but… how about some silicone stickers? :wink: Not as inexpensive as flowable but sooo much simpler to install!

1 Like

Yeah, they work great, but I like to keep things nice and cheap

2 Likes

This is the Permatex RTV Gasket Maker after a few hours and being cleaned up. It had the same cracking problem as the Glass Sealer. I’ll most likely get you the cracking silicone picture by tomorrow evening or Wednesday morning.

1 Like

Ok. How long are you letting it sit before playing it?

2 Likes

I’ll let it sit 24 hours in this case. But most times I get impatient and play after 20 :smiley:

Before applying I’d clean out the groove with solvent, paint thinner or lighter fluid and a Q-tip really well. Then make sure the gasket maker is getting all the way into the bottom corners of the groove. I sometimes massage it in with a toothpick before scraping off excess. Do your best to smooth the surface by first not putting too much or too little in, then getting a smooth scrape with the plastic card on an angle (since holding the card vertical will recesses a bit too much) or a larger diameter object, like a plastic spoon. Don’t worry about a thin smear outside of the recess, as you can rub it off after things dry up. Do be extra careful not to get any goop or leave any bits anywhere near the bearing recess, of course.

3 Likes

I know it might sound hard, but try letting it dry even longer. Like 48 to 72 hours. I have been waiting two to three days before playing mine and it seems to make the silicone last longer. Just be patient, and show some of your other yoyo’s some love while you wait :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

That’s impossible :joy:

2 Likes

The problem with that is all my good Yoyos are waiting to dry as we speak :joy::sleepy:

2 Likes

Well, perhaps next time then… lol

How would you massage the silicone into the corners of the groove without totally messing up the silicone job? Wouldn’t that just make it all messy?

1 Like

To keep from messing it up, you do it with not too much in the groove, with poking, not dragging, then smooth the top. If you have a lit of control and a good tip, you can kind of do it with the applicator tip as you put it in.

Different yo-yo, same Gasket Maker (I’m not using the glass sealant right now because it is in a smaller bottle and I don’t want to waste it. But the cracks look the same in both silicones.)
You might have to zoom in but the cracks are there as long as the picture quality is good.

2 Likes

Here’s a cropped version

2 Likes

Ok. I used all the information I have up to this point and tried siliconing another yo-yo. I’ll leave it wait for 2 days and see what happens

1 Like