Fixed Friday frustrations

I’ve been enjoying throwing my No-Jive and a couple of other fixies (to borrow a maligned 00s bicycle term), but how on earth can I learn brain twister or double or nothing? Every time I try I either run out of spin or the yoyo tilts and starts spinning in the wrong direction.

1 Like

There might be some tricks here that you’ll enjoy.

2 Likes

Is your No-Jive in butterfly formation? You should have it like that for 1a (string tricks). You’ll need to work on your plane management and a good, hard, straight throw! You really can pull off some nice 1a tricks if you work at it, and to me, it’s so satisfying.

Also, you may want to check out @TheThrowingGnome 's suggestion and @edhaponik ‘s tuts. These types of tricks play to fixies’ strengths rather than pushing against their limitations.

You’ll still want to work on your throw, and plane management. Brain Twister and Double or Nothing are reasonable goals. You should be able to do those, even if you do end up gravitating more to the 0a (modern fixed axle) style above.

2 Likes

Step 1: BELIEVE you can.
Step 2: Practice. <3

5 Likes

Haha. Why is the answer never “just put a little magic wax on the string”?

Thanks. Yeah, I just put the No-Jive in the butterfly config for the first time. That at least got me able to do a trapeze and return. I’d really like to at least got a single brain twist and return to work. Plane management has always been a challenge, which is a pain when the main thing I do with any yoyo is looping.

I’ll just think “how would Myk or Ed throw” next time I pick it up.

2 Likes