Fixed Axle Friday Throws

No doubt the Harbinger is awesome. I’ve been loving my Merbau one lately, but also this Hickory Ballsy!

7 Likes

Looking to choke a horse with that terra pill? :wink:

4 Likes

Harbingers still available?

3 Likes

Haha not if it goes in the other way…

1 Like

I’ve been throwing a lot of heavy hitters lately so today I’m throwing one of the lightest. A Fallen 44 Sixth Sense the “Dead Mary” edition made of Canadian Maple Ambrosia wood for that special touch of ultra light at 42 grams. The worm holes also add to the boutique aesthetic and weight savings. If I were trying to set a record of consecutive Planet Hops this would be my go to, to prevent fatigue approaching the 20K mark. Its lightness is also appreciated when Shooting Moons as it tends to float. Due to the light weight this throw requires finesse on every throw to keep control and a consistent response. This is why I’m drawn to fix axle play, as to find the state of Yo you have to be in tune with your senses and all of the subtleties of your actions. Powering through a handful of combos with one hard throw is fun, but not the only way to play the game. Sometimes you have to float like a buttery fly to sting like a bee.

Happy #fixedaxlefriday YYEF

9 Likes

Camera is broken, so no pics. Today’s throws are the Yoyofactory Legend Wing in “natty” and the O.U.T Mojo.

2 Likes

How do you find Fallen 44 fixies in general? Worth a purchase?

1 Like

I have three Fallen 44 throws that I have acquired, two fixies and an unresponsive wood with OD Cabal guts. The craftmanship is spot on and they are very unique toys with their own distinct characters. The ones that I have are all on the lighter side. Fallen 44 does have a few options when it comes to shapes, sizes, woods, weights and laminates. So when picking from their litter, there needs to be some discernment if you have particular preferences. They were unavailable for a little while, but it sounds like they are back in production according to their Instagram. If you are a fixed axle aficionado they are worth having in a collection. I enjoy all my toys but they are not my daily players, unique and fun nonetheless.

3 Likes

Cracked the rim of my favorite eH this week, so I whittled and sanded it down to a slimline. Plays killer & I’ve been throwing that most of the week.

13 Likes

I love that sawed off look!!

2 Likes

This Friday I’m throwing another Fallen 44 Sixth Sense wooden fixie, the Mr. Hyde that is made from Cannary wood weighting in at 47grams and does 5 extra grams make a huge difference compared to last week’s 42 gram Dead Mary. The shape has high walls for easy stalls, and uses the same Fallen 44 vortex patented resopnse system, which are spiral cuts around the axle. Laced up with YYE 100% cotton type 10 string as well.

20190308_125753

20190308_125826

Have a good #fixedaxlefriday

5 Likes

Lately I’ve been throwing what was going to be a collaboration yoyo between DocPop and myself. It’s essentially a Ballsy with a few small tweaks I made. It has a slightly higher inner wall; a more pronounced inverse curve after the response and more rounded edges. It will now replace the original Ballsy.

20190307_142358 20190307_142407

It’s a shame the collaboration fell through. No hard feeling between us at all, I was just finding it hard to find the time to make a run of yoyos between family and work.

11 Likes

Patented? Really?

1 Like

Can you post a pic of it side by side with the old version?

2 Likes

I can’t, unfortunately. I don’t own a Ballsy.

Actually… Just a sec, I’ll take a look.

3 Likes

That’s what they claim, it’s a Swirly Q snake pattern around the axle. Don’t know if its legally registered with the US patent office or not. But like other patents, enforcement overseas would be difficult. It might wind up on Aoda’s next fixed axle throw.

1 Like

The light one is the latest Ballsy with the changes. They’re small, so it’s difficult to see the changes. They are more significant than they appear on this photo

7 Likes

I suppose only being a minor thing, the patent wouldn’t cost much, but why would he bother with it? Is that response system so unique and amazing that it is worth it?

It just seems a little odd and slightly dubious to me.

3 Likes

If you are lucky enough to play yoyo, you are lucky enough, and I’m extremely lucky because I get to play a 2019 Play TMBR Carlson CS made from White Oak. If you like the TMBR eHTEEN you will really enjoy the Carlson CS, and if you missed the eHTEEN drop in December then you are also in luck as these are available this year. Mine weights in just under 52 grams and it is just an amazing throw. The shape is nicely organic, with a snappy TMBR Walnut axle response and just so buttery on the end of the string. YYE 100% cotton Type 10 string and white oak is one of my favorite blends. This is definitely a Grail of modern wood axle throws in my opinion and a real player for sure.

Oak Harbinger/ Carlson CS/ eHTEEN/ OD MC

Have a good #fixedaxlefriday YYEF :call_me_hand:let’s see some pics :camera_flash:

13 Likes

Cool TMBR cut away on Insta today

7 Likes