Fixed Axle Friday Throws

Soon, maybe next drop @jeremypark? Zipline drops usually happen on Fridays at 6pm Mountain.

2 Likes

I’m also curious how they managed to churn out the product. I recall the process being described as so arduous that they weren’t going to productize it. What changed?

3 Likes

From Zipline site “after two years in the making we’ve finally had some serious breakthroughs”
"we’d love to acquire some additional feedback "

There has been a lot of positive feedback from the prototypes I assume, I know I like them.

3 Likes

I’m excited for these! I haven’t gotten to try any of em yet and it’ll be cool to have premium cotton string for once!

3 Likes

They are really excellent! They last great and break in sooooo nice. Very excited.

7 Likes

@adamantiumpops posted this. Thought I’d put it here too.
Zoom F.I.X Tournament?

3 Likes

Good Friday, this week I’ve been rediscovering a Black Silver Striped Painted No Jive that I haven’t played with in well over a year. It has some dings and chips cause I use to play until my strings would break. Now days I can get my strings in bulk instead of 5 at a time, so managing strings isn’t as much of a luxury as it use to be. This TK is still super smooth and when strings are broken in has a response that has such a soft subtle feel.

11 Likes

y’all I need some help. This is the second legend wing i’ve owned and the response is just as wacky as the last. I feel like no matter how much I manage my tension, I can barely get this thing to sleep. I can’t get it to sleep at all from a front throw, and from a break away it’s like 3/10 tries. This happens to me when I play with butterflies too, I just cannot get the bloody things to sleep. Does my technique really just suck THAT much?

I owned an OG Irving a few years ago and I absolutely don’t remember it being this frustrating.

4 Likes

Some of those hyper responsive cheaper throws can be frustrating to get good spin on, I’ve never had an issue with the butterfly, but legend wings definitely take some breaking in. After throwing it for a while the edges wear down and they feel pretty good.

1 Like

You may have to manage your string torsion. Look up and learn the trick ‘Sidewinder’, this will help you neutralize the torsion which should help with sleepers.

1 Like

I’ve had that problem with mine too. Sometimes a little extra string is wrapped around the axle. I just give it a little tug and can feel it come loose. At least this worked for me.

I know how to sidewinder and do em really often! It seemed like tension didn’t matter much because i’d get a different result literally every throw.

1 Like

Tho other thing is that the Legend Wing can be really light. When it’s under 45g with a relatively rough axle, this can make it a bit trickier to throw a sleeper.

1 Like

What kind of string are you using?

1 Like

I’ve been using cotton Snake Bite. If I can’t get a sleeper it’s because I threw sloppy and I’m not suggesting you are throwing sloppy.

2 Likes

I messed around with a few different string, the stock cotton was literally unusable because it snagged so much. It wouldn’t even reach the end of the string. Same thing with polys (which is what I prefer on fixies, weirdly) and then settled on some old yye 50/50 blends which worked ok. The snagging issue went away with these, but then came back??

1 Like

I shelved my Legend wing after the first 5 throws. It was a mess. I picked it up again a year and half later because everyone here was wood this wood that and I wanted to give it another try. I played it for 10-15 minutes and it was like a new yoyo - all buttery smooth and a joy to throw. Everyone said it needed to be broken in. Now I know what they meant. I hope you find a way to enjoy yours.

5 Likes

Legend Wings would be produced very quickly. If they were on the lathe for more than 30 seconds, I’d be surprised. Because of this, the play experience you have with them can vary considerably.

4 Likes

you can definitely tell hahaha. I mean it’s 10 bucks so waddaya expect. I’m probably just gonna get another tmbr once he restocks

2 Likes

Sounds good. TMBR yoyos are a huge leap in
quality.

1 Like