Fixed Axle February video contest WINNERS ANNOUNCED

Great vid man it was pretty cool did you build your own yoyo?

I did; however, most of the footage was taken with me playing two TMBRs, a Duncan Butterfly, and a Yo-Yo ā€œFast Eddy Looperā€. The self-made one somehow just didnā€™t make it into many of the clips I selected; in fairness, possibly because itā€™s a bit less stable (too light and small in diameter) so I flubbed more tricks with it. :wink: Iā€™ll be refining the design and taking another crack at it, though.

Thanks for checking it out! I watched your video, too. My brain is still saying, ā€œWhat just happened to me?ā€ :wink: Creative!

Aaaaaand here is my submission. Hope it qualifies for the contest. Had loads of fun making this ;D

1 Like

Had a lot of fun watching yooldman and blakswift88ā€™s videos!

1 Like

Thanks, I really enjoyed everyoneā€™s videos as well.

I totally forgot about thisā€¦ so last minuteā€¦ lighting sucksā€¦ I used my camera phone and I only did one take for each attempt. Thank you to my wife for handling the camera :P!!!

I was told not too long ago at the train station that I was cheating using a yoyo with a bearingā€¦ I disagree but it sure as heck makes things a little easier.Ā  8)

I presentā€¦ FIXED AXLE IS HARD!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjOEzFRK1oE

Seeing as we never specified a time zone, we need to wait for midnight to pass all over the world. Technicallyā€¦there are still a few hours left for some last minute entries :smiley:

Thanks to everyone who has entered so far!

1 Like

Iā€™m glad to see more entries coming in. I want to give each one my undivided attention. With work and social demands taking up my Saturday, I wonā€™t be watching any until Sunday morning, with a nice cup of green tea (or maybe earl grey). Frodoslair is right, all you PSTers have a few hours left! Get on it!

Whereā€™s my vid I canā€™t find it on here anymore did somthing happen? Are is it because Iā€™m use ing a phone

^ I can still see your video just fine - I am guessing it is something on your phone that prevents you from seeing it.

These are all great entries! Way to go you guys.
Maybe next year Iā€™ll have the ball bearings to make a video.

1 Like

Lol ball bearings yoyo thatā€™s funny I mean you must be a mad house to come up with a joke like that it was a little weird though lol I used brands

Big thanks to everyone for your entries! I enjoyed them all. Frodoslair and I must deliberate. Since we live on opposite sides of the earth, this may take a day or two. The names of the winners will be posted here and prize packages shipped in the next week, or so. A few of the prizes are late coming in due to a postal worker strike in South Africa. However, the latest update shows the package in New York, waiting to clear customs. Shouldnā€™t be long now.

Iā€™d like to give a big shout-out to everyone who enteredā€¦ this is the reason we are a yoyo ā€œcommunityā€. It was really great seeing you all share - and I hope this inspires us to be more active in the yoyo sceneā€¦ not just to compete, but to share, relate our experiences to each other and, above all, to have FUN!

Also - a very big THANK YOU to all the sponsors - without you, this would not have been possibleā€¦ Once again, they are:

www.theyoyologist.co.za - Red Devil yoyos
wayloncrase.bandcamp.com - CD + cotton string
yoyospin.com - handcrafted wooden yoyos

YYE forum members
yoyoexpertman54 - handmade wooden yoyos
mrcnja - fixed axle sleeves
BigYoyo Strings
Modman10 - Unknown Strings

Rightā€¦ now onto the contestantsā€¦

We enjoyed watching all the videos:

XxsanezxX - your video caught me a little off-guard, but was entertaining nonetheless!

yooldman - your video certainly shows that when playing fixed, persistence does pay off. Your stalls are also much, much smoother than mine :wink:

TurboChicken - I know you are fairly new to the online yoyo community and it is awesome that you are willing to share. With a bit more time to put it together - I think your concept for the video could have worked really well.

Nowā€¦ letā€™s get down to the nitty gritty!

Both Waylon and I felt that there were two entries in particular that stood out from the restā€¦

Ladies and gentleman, I present to you, winner no. 1:

GregP: GregP really impressed us with his video - some interesting shots and a great, fun little video that I think showcases many elements of what fixed axle means to him (glad to see you finally landed that stall-peaterā€¦). The tricks were really great, but we were impressed with the overall package, this is a video I have downloaded and will be watching many times over!

And nowā€¦ winner no. 2 isā€¦ (ā€¦drumrollā€¦):

blakswift88 - blakswift88 made a video that really made us smile! This was a great concept and the video is what yoyoing should be about - trying new things, chilling with your friends and having a great time! You had me waiting in anticipation to see if you guys would land the two-man Trapeze! I enjoyed the bonus trick too (and hope you didnā€™t need stitches after taking one to the head!).

Congrats to GregP and blakswift88, Waylon will be in touch shortly for shipping details.

I hope you all had as much fun as we did!

2 Likes

Right on! So excited!! Thanks again for hosting the contest; Iā€™m so glad everyone enjoyed the video. :slight_smile: Thereā€™s no doubt that fixed axle has become a permanent part of my yoyo play. Itā€™s just as much fun for me as with a bearing! Luckily Drew Tetz and Ed Haponik and others are providing new tricks of all levels for me to try to attempt.

One thing I meant to include in the video was a link to this little video, which is partially meant as a marketing tool for TMBR but really served as my ā€œWow, I love thisā€ inspiration:

If I can ever get half or a third as good as Colin or Ibs, Iā€™ll be thrilled. :wink:

Between that video and the stuff Ed Haponik recorded throughout 2012, I might not have noticed how cool fixed-axle is. If not for the continued work of Drew Tetz, Ed, and other guests at YoyoNews.com (check under http://yoyonews.com/tag/fixed-friday-2/) as well as the Facebook group, I might not be able to remain as motivated; they really make you feel like fixed axle has forward momentum, relevance, and most of allā€¦ fun!

Thank you very much Waylon and Frodoslair. Most fun i have had in a while when making a yoyoing video.

Congrats to the winners.

I did say I would participate. So i had to come thru with something. It was 9:00 and I saw people submitting their videos. I thoughtā€¦ crapā€¦ post something up. I really wanted to add ā€œEntry of the Gladiatorsā€ for the sound track.

Great choices, these were also my picks for the winners. I hope by next Feb. we can have a lot more people in this.

3 Likes

Indeed; letā€™s keep sharing the fixed-axle love and maybe next February weā€™ll get to see this grow from its humble beginnings.

Yooldman, loved your video, too. And Turbochickenā€™s even with the low light. As you can tell, Iā€™m a big fan of the ā€œshow some failures, show a successā€ style of video. Maybe because I have so many more fails than successes. :wink:

Donā€™ foget our buddy XxsanezxX . Heā€™s promised me a robot themed 4A video, and I want to see it.