Fixed Axle February 2022

Happy FAF everyone!

This month I will only be using my responsive throws (most of them have bearings because I only have 1 semi-decent fixed axle throw). I’ve been really enjoying my responsives these past 6 or so months and getting into the modern responsive scene, and so I can’t wait to delve deeper into it this month.

Here’s what I’m using:

What are your plans? What are you throwing? Any goals for yourselves this month?

Happy throwing!

11 Likes

Going to try to stick to my two fixies (I have a third on the way!).

The butterfly is a bit temperamental. The legend wing is a beast that eats string…

12 Likes

How fixed axle players feel when others say a gap is “too small”

Kicking it off with a SpinWorthy KNack

14 Likes

What can I say, I like to have options.

18 Likes

You can smooth out the walls a bit with some sandpaper, just be careful not to mar the axle. the endgrain can be a bit harsh on them.

2 Likes

What can I say? I like to have option.

After Fixed Axle January this will be CAKE!

19 Likes

Menu for February

14 Likes

Duncan lucky dip (two old-timers from the mid '90s and a recent cousin)

13 Likes

Decisions decisions……

17 Likes

For the Legend Wing? Is that going to change the response? I really like how snappy it is…

2 Likes

It could help it stop eating through string. My advice is just to play it, it’ll wear down naturally and become gradually less aggressive over time

2 Likes

It will change it a bit. But that’s the trade off. High friction is giving you snappy response, AND eaten strings. You can also use a strip of denim to sort of buff the inner walls, which would be a slightly less aggressive change (Shoutout to @arc1 on the fixie discord).

3 Likes

I had one fun day with my Chief yesterday before swearing off bearings for the month.

I don’t have a large selection of fixies. Just this and a 2019 eH, so I’m not too swayed by choices at the moment. I do have a Survivalist coming in the mail that’s gonna head out with me on snowy days though. I love that this thing has a metal axle, playing on metal axle fixies with poly strings feels like I’m playing with a cheat code on. It feels like I can rip through 1A tricks even easier and slacks and suicides feel like they stay open so much better than with cotton. It might just be a placebo but hey, it’s working for me so I’m happy.

14 Likes

Such a beautiful SpinWorthy!

Nice work @Glenacius_K

4 Likes

One of my favorite reminders of Fixed Axle February is to play 2A on these Purgatory 1 Light and Dark No Jive Mandalas. Let it Snow :snowflake:

19 Likes

This is what I’m working with this month. I have 3 more on the way too. Soon this case will be full of wood!

12 Likes

First string snap of the month.

10 Likes

Some old, some new. All fun.

8 Likes