Fixed Axle February 2021

I found making my gap a tiny bit larger than what I want then screwing in the end caps as tight as my fingers will let it then tightening the halves like a normal yoyo usually does the trick. If it’s hit my hand hard a few times in a row I usually snug it up.

1 Like

Yeah, I know I might get a bit of hate, but good riddance “Wood Thread” from my collection.

1 Like

There has been a lot of support in various threads here on how to fixed the woodthread axle flying apart issue. I think most people can tweak it to the point where it isn’t a problem for them anymore.

2 Likes

I used to have an occasional issue with this when we did the '14/15 eH’s. Now I do not. Literally can’t remember the last time a wood-thread yo-yo came apart on me, and I throw these yo-yo’s literally every day. So while I think it would be obnoxious to relegate this issue to “user error”, I don’t necessarily feel it’s a “design error” either. I think it’s something you can learn to tweak, like Glen said. You can develop methods/routines which effectively eliminate the issue, which IMO is pretty necessary and typical of EVERY facet of throwing fixed axle.

I throw fixed to be MORE mindful of the tenuous relationship between me, my gear, the trick, and the moment (which when you’re in it are all actually one thing). That’s not to say I’m ever “worried” my yo-yo is going to come apart. I set it and forget it, but setting it is its own essential piece just like breaking in a new axle. It’s kind of easy to slip into the mindset that a wood yo-yo should behave just like its metal counterpart, but it might need an extra step or effort.

If it’s not worth it then yeah like @Myk_Myk you might need to purge them and go with a design you prefer. To me the benefits (and the coolness lol) of the design outweigh the liabilities, but that’s easy to say when you’ve got it dialed in a way you like.

2 Likes

You definitely got unlucky with yours @Myk_Myk. The two that I got from you are VERY particular on what axles are used and how they are put together. I went through every combination of axle, and finally found a setup that stays together. None of my other TMBRs are like this though. Sometimes one will come apart after a hit to the ground or my hand, but they go back together tight no problem. I can see how you would have been frustrated with the two that you had though.

2 Likes

Do you think moisture or a change in temperature difference could be the issue?

I threw my 2014 eh almost everyday last month and it only loosened a slight amount on one day. Broke a string on it too, which made me laugh as I haven’t broken a string in years!

My pockeHt on the other hand came loose after a day of play.

I wonder if they just need a time to acclimatize to the throwing environment.

2 Likes

To be fair, the TwentyEHteen never came apart on me. I’m actually surprised to hear you had trouble with that one @TheThrowingGnome. However, I never took it apart. Since it was not coming apart on me when I got it, I decided to not chance taking it apart. I picked out knots as if it was not take apart, so in effect it wasn’t a take apart for me!

It is a super cool design, but it doesn’t jive with me. I like to keep my yoyos in my pocket, and I don’t think the design is compatible with doing that. I also never put the TwentyEHteen in my pocket, and that alone reduced how much I played it.

I know my post was snarky, and I apologise. Let’s just say it’s not for me. For others it’s obviously awesome.

I think the majority of my Spinworthys have come apart on me at one point or another (not so much with the newer ones), and I’m perfectly content to take the time to glue them back together. I know many would feel the opposite from me about the two designs.

2 Likes

I took it apart! Had the same issue as the other where the cap didn’t want to secure against the axle. Got it figured out after some trial and error.

1 Like

It looks like mine really aren’t any better then. Coming apart is coming apart.

1 Like

I seem to be really hard on fixies. Probably carrying them in my pocket is big part of that.

Regardless, I prefer them coming loose every once in a while, and being able to fix them, to having to constantly fiddle with them. Plus, usually (not all the time) when a glued together one comes apart, you can tell before it goes flying off at supersonic speeds, same with the No Jive design.

The Wood Thread has so few threads that, when it fails there’s going to be a high speed projectile if you’ve made a hard throw!

Also, you’ve figured it out now. Of the ones I have with the larger axle, and I assume epoxy; I think I’ve only had the newer Hickory Ballsy get loose on me.

Again, and as has been pointed out, I might have gotten two problematic TMBRs, and maybe most others don’t have to fiddle with theirs so much.

2 Likes

What a nice shot.
:clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

that blue NJ is sick. Can you see any wood grain?