Fixed Axle February 2020

Woot woot!

The season is upon us! Time to break out your fixies and go down to the woodshed.
Nate Martsolf is running the event & Kyle Nations & I will be judging. LOTS of great sponsors contributing awesomeness, and I’m pretty confident that the added energy in 0a right now will lend itself to some amazing 1m entries.

Check out G2Nate’s vid below for the details, and I hope you’ll consider dusting the wood off and gettin on it!

11 Likes

You should probably include the rules in this post as well:
Rules:
— Video submission must not be longer than one minute.
— Entries need to be sent via email to me by 12am (est), Feb 29th. Email: natethatyoyoguy@gmail.com
— Video must include the sponsor banner: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lYUi…
— Family friendly music is required.
— Only fixed axle yoyos can be used (duh!)
— Have fun — that’s a hard and fast rule!

Im going to try to make a pathetic entry if I have time, but there is no way im blowing your mind Ed. Im also really inexperienced with video editing (any software suggestions for PC?), but id honestly love to be a part of this. Do you encourage people to post their entries in this thread as well, or keep everything anonymous until the end? Also, is this a routine, or are video cuts encouraged?

3 Likes

I think it can be anything within the 1-minute and absolutely post entries here (although Kyle and I will just judge what Nate sends us in his spreadsheet). Don’t worry about skill level or video editing - this event (and throwing fixed in general) is just about having fun while pushing the needle on a personal level. I’m sure some entries will be full of new content and some will be stuff we’ve seen, but they will all be worth watching and getting stoked over. Contests are fun, but there’s no way to quantify the value of any kind of throwing, much less the enthusiasm of someone who’s just daring to put their stuff out there. :pray:t3:

6 Likes

Super excited for this.

1 Like

:sunglasses:stoked.

1 Like

Just felt like reminding everybody - FAF begins tomorrow!
Go huck some wood or old-school plastic and maybe get a minute of content together to share! (Or just zone out to the feeling of the string against the axle and have fun!)

6 Likes

i see some oldies and goodies hitting the top of the pile this month!

1 Like

First day of Fixed Axle February, Im keeping it simple with a The Classic Duncan Butterfly laced with bulk Duncan poly.

6 Likes

I think im going to try my best to ONLY throw fixies and responsives (if it has to be metal) all month. I have been experimenting around with tricks for this video contest, but quite honestly I don’t think i’ll be good enough to put in anything innovative. I can’t even kickflip yet. I have been working on some stuff with the KNack’s dimples, but the progress is slow.

Here are the 3 yoyos ill probably be playing most with:

• TMBR purple heart Irving
  • Spinworthy beech white oak KNack (proto) (in the pic I included my white oak instead, my bad. Ill still play with it, but the beech is my fav)
  • TMBR cherry Morrow
12 Likes

Not going to enter, but will be throwing fixed every day in solidarity. Also wanted to flex with my purpleheart Harbinger. 70g of knuckle-busting hotness.

10 Likes

I’m not sure I’ll enter, but I haven’t thrown an unresponsive trick this month. I just learned how to loop today with my TMBR Carlson and bought a Morrow and Irving this weekend. I’m well prepared to learn a lot of new tricks!

3 Likes

I just finished most of the filming today for my entry, now for my least favorite part, editing ): that’ll probably take me the other 27 days lol.

2 Likes

I’m just super glad that I (and we all) have the entire month to think and try stuff for my entry.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if I’ll enter just yet. As much as I love throwing fixed, I’m just not that good at it lol. I’ll definitely be throwing every day though, and I’d like to start giving this guy some more attention. Almost as light as my legend Wing.

8 Likes

Kickflips are a real trick. No need to get down on yourself about not hitting them like Ed does. Remember, there is no right or wrong pace for learning and mastering tricks, we all have our own pace.

4 Likes

i got wood today

11 Likes

I have a trick I came up with, that seems like it should have been created in the 50’s. Maybe it was, and I just don’t know about it. I know it’s not a difficult enough trick to win, but…

The trick calls for making noises with your mouth though, so I’m not sure how that will work with music. Maybe I could blend them.

Edit: OK, after listening to the judging criteria from Kyle and Ed, my trick is the antithesis of what they were describing as far as forging new ground. Like I said, it’s as old school as you can get. I believe it’s a new trick, but it just combines established elements in a humorous way.

Maybe I’ll just make sure I post it up on my own in February.

3 Likes

Sounds awesome! Share it anyway! The likelihood of us forgetting our own criteria is reasonably high lol.

4 Likes

I realized yesterday that I actually have another trick that fits the same description!

It uses on of the most basic elements in a humorous way, but again I haven’t ever seen it before.

It’s super simple and “easy”, but the timing and execution are critical to making the trick look cool. At least, I think it looks cool when it’s executed skillfully. I’ll find out once I record it!

BTW, since you play bass, I hope you appreciated the Bootsy Collins trick I did last year. :grin:

4 Likes

This would basically sum up my entire routine. I have nothing truly original to offer except for doing basic tricks in my own way. Though im betting you have something much better than I do, lol

3 Likes