FIXED AXLE CHALLENGE!!! ROUND 1 THREAD!

some hiccups to go through real quick…

set to private, simmy. give the slots a break and fix it. :slight_smile:

this isn’t loading for me. youtube?

yeah, i agree it seems to stall out and then you regen for the flyaway. possible i’m seeing it wrong, but in either case the ending isn’t clear enough. props for trying to use a bare 201 axle though. that would be tough for sure.

what yo-yo is that? it looks fixed, but without close up or anything it’s tough to make out.

lol someone gives up fixed axle in disgust. mission accomplished!  :wink: ;D :frowning:
(that was sarcasm. i actually DO want you to enjoy it, but i recognize it’s weird, hard, and frustrating. i can assure you, EVERYONE who stays in this will feel like you do at some point, so take some comfort there, i guess!)

lol am tired of trying to get it to sleep, I’m going to keep trying – wish me luck

The spinning trapeze to fly away is killing me.
I’d rather be going for a brent stole.

Youtube is having processing issues.
Will check back in the morning.

Video is set to public now, am I allowed to go back to my slots now?

here we go! good luck everyone!

also set to private.

simmy you are in the clear. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can not play well enough to enter but that does not stop me from working each day to improve my play.

2 Likes

I’m not going to make it to round 2. I can’t get a good spin out of the brother stall, yet. But I still plan on following the contests and working on the tricks posted and the tutorials on YYE. Fixed is a lot of fun, and very different.

2 Likes

Round 1 closed. No more submissions or edits please. Results will be forthcoming!

mine is uploading, please! Just realized the time zone difference.

I thought the deadline was in the evening.

Here it is, i hope it makes it! Uploaded it at 11:30 using my time zone. :-[

This was a blast, even if I don’t move on (mine wasn’t as clean as I woulda liked) it got me to try something I may not have before, and now I’m working on it more to get it cleaner. And I’ll be working on each round whether or not I move on, thanks for the cool contest, hopefully it’ll be a yearly thing here ;D

The whole time filming yesterday I kept thinking of this 84 year old man who I play ukulele with from time to time, he’s played uke now for over 70 years. Every single time we are done playing, he’ll ask me a question about something I did, or a chord I played, then his last words are always, “well, things to work on.” Always says it with a smile, after playing for that long he’s still learning. I couldn’t keep that saying out of my head yesterday, “things to work on.” Always keep learning :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ok. Andre suggested I be charitable in the first round, so I’ll let the two late additions through. Moving forward, things get a little more strict:

1.) deadlines will strictly adhere to what is initially assigned, just in the interest of fairness.
2.) if your video makes it even a little bit unclear that you are using a fixed axle yo-yo, you won’t be able to continue. I know that can be a pain, but I really don’t want anyone to feel butthurt over a questionable entry. in general, if i can tell it’s a butterfly or an irving and it’s BEHAVING like those yo-yo’s behave, just show it up close to make sure. but if it’s something that isn’t a commonly known fixed axle with which i’m familiar, you’re gonna have to give us the detailed tour.
3.) please limit your submissions to either youtube or instagram, just so as to streamline the contest. as tricks get longer (see Round 2) youtube may be a must. I will use instagram every time.
4.) i’m not going to PM anybody to say “hey you didn’t quite hit that right. you might want to try again.” it’s just too much work lol! i promise to show the trick clearly, and then it’s gotta be on you to hit it the way i do. that may seem like an ego thing, but it isn’t. i’m not saying that i do these tricks “the only way” or “the right way”… just the only right way for this contest. :slight_smile:

I know it’s a hard trick if you’re not used to fixed play. That said, they are gonna get tougher. A student once asked his teacher “How long am I going to have to sit here before I’m enlightened?” To which the teacher replied “Until you die.”

Ok… that said, here are the people moving on to ROUND 2 (see the round 2 thread in just a bit):

EricBell
FinalFantasy9001
Pineapple Jumpsuit
DoubleBass
Someone
liife
Adam Brewster
sundowner
TriangleP
oscar chuntonov
themikedurdak
Chainsawctopus
Nathan
nyepa15
ryanc29
berto
teddybear__jeffrie
yooldman
rizki_yoist
ReaperUnreal
Purplepottamus
Raziel
fixed_axle_ryan
leop999
shtagod
Simyo
SkinnyBNY
baconNeggs
AaronW
jon walker
yomartyo
TwilightMagester
Malushi
Logi
scott997
Uttiks
yoyojoe
Sergio
RSGR

If you feel I’ve made an error or I somehow missed somebody, shoot me a PM.

You guys did AWESOME. Maybe it sounds like I’m bent out of shape with those rules, but I’m on cloud 9. So many good entries and I know SO MUCH work goes into hitting a fixed trick clean. I hope you find Round 2 manageable. It’s one of my favorites.

9 Likes

Man, no chance of extending the deadline? My bad for not noticing the p after 12 in the first post. I spent 2 days just to hit the trick, signed up after being a long-time lurker specifically for this contest, and hunted for days for a Bumble Bee with a wood axle, which cost me a fair bit. Sorry for whining, but I sure was looking forward to this. :frowning:

YAY ;D

i’ll let you appeal to andre, who is way nicer than me. i don’t want anybody to get left out of the fun, but i know a lot of people had to bend over backward to hit the trick by this morning. if he’s cool with it, i am. but i’m pretty confident we’re not gonna let in a trick we can’t see on video. :wink:

Congtrats to all who made it through round one. I am anxious to see next weeks round 2 entries.

here is my link that I forgot to post the other day, it was still in the time frame on instagram, but I got the okay with Ed that I am still in since I forgot