First metal yoyo

I am going to get my first metal soon. But I can’t decide between the hectic or dv888.
Please help!

THIS COMES FROM A POST BY THE ALWAYS EXCELLENT SAMAD:

1. What size do you prefer? (Big, small, medium, etc)
  2. What shape do you prefer? (Be specific: Round Butterfly, Flat Rims, pointy shape, H-Shape)
  3. What response do you prefer? (Silicone, O-Ring, Hybrid, Pad, etc)
  4. Do you like to mod/maintain it?
  5. What weight is ideal to you?
  6. Does color matter?
  7. How does your style relate to the yoyo? (What kind of tricks do you like to do? Fast? Technical? Smooth? Slacks?)
  8. What is your price range?
  9. What is your skill level?
  1. What size do you prefer? Small - Medium
  2. What shape do you prefer? Any
  3. What response do you prefer? Anything except from starburst…
  4. Do you like to mod/maintain it? Only put a konkave on it…
  5. What weight is ideal to you?Medium - Heavy, not light!
  6. Does color matter? No
  7. How does your style relate to the yoyo? (What kind of tricks do you like to do? Technical things like Ladder Escape ect.
  8. What is your price range? Ive already chosen 2 yoyos…
  9. What is your skill level? Expert - Master

The Hectic seems to fit your preferences. It is pretty slim, so it is great for maneuvering in tight spaces like you do in tech tricks like Ladder Escape!

Thanks!

Would you say it is better than the yoyojam Dark Magic?

Is it worth getting even though I got the DM?

It’s all preference.

You said the hecitic is thinner, is it enough to make landing mounts more difficult?

Based on those preferences, you would love a Hectic. I have the small bearing version, it’s fantastic. Very smooth, plays great, strong grinder.

no. he means the side to side, not the gap. both the dv888 and the hectic are very easy to land on the string.

the dv888’s gap width is 5.03 mm. that is very wide. you can see it on some youtube videos.
the hectic’s gap width is 4.26 mm. that is a wide gap also, and is still as easy to land on the string.

the dv888’s width side to side is 40.64 mm. that is a very wide yoyo. the gap width, and the width.
the hectic’s width side to side is 34.78 mm. that is what electricyo meant by thin. a thin yoyo overall.

to answer your other question, better than the dark magic? it is all preference. to me, no. the hectic is a lot better in my opinion, because it has cool flat rims, it is small, has cool mix and match colors, and is just awesome overall. the dark magic has all that for me, but is oversized or big. just the opposite of small. it wouldn’t fit that great in hand, but minus that it is good.

1 Like

Thanks alot!

sure.

This is very conclusive, but is there a review I can see on the hectic to confirm my decision?

Thanks,

yes, here is one:

Thanks again!

I think the dv888 would be better cause it has a butterfly shape.

Hi

Do Hubstacks fit on the hectic if I buy them seperatly?

Not unless you gut a PGM and use the stack posts from there.

The hectic has a butterfly shape too…

Not exactly. It has the rims more of a “schmooved” or “flat” feel than a rounded or a Butterfly.

It has almost the G5 shape, according to this site.

YoYoExpert’s description:

The Hectic is a strong player with reminiscent features that have made the G5 popular. It comes up sharp from the center but has a slim width overall giving it a stable spin and allowing it to move fast in your hands. The rims just slightly flatten out on the edge making “snap starts” unusually easy for such a sharp rim.

That is their description. It comes up sharp from the center but has a slim width overall giving it a stable spin and allowing it to move fast in your hands.

Dv888 isn’t exacly a butterfly shape either.

It is flat-rimmed.