First CLYW! Bonfire or Chief?

Which one do you think defines CLYW more? I’ve tried the Bonfire before, I really like it. How can you describe a Chief compared to a Bonfire? Anything would be appreciated :slight_smile:

I love em both…but the bonfire gets my vote. More stable…longer spinning.

Chief is a must have, but I love them equally.

I’d go for the Chief but you will definitely not be disappointed with either.

How do they play? I mostly am looking for comparisons so I can buy the one that suits me better. I love the floatiness of the Bonfire, if the Chief is even floatier I’d lean toward that. How about spin time?

Yeah sorry, I wasn’t very descriptive :stuck_out_tongue:

The Chief feels a little more unique because of those inner rings. Maybe slightly more stable and less floatier than the Bonfire, but a lot of the floatiness of yoyos is due to the freshness of the pads in it anyways.

Both are floaty with the Chief being more floaty. The Bonfire is definitely more stable tho…and again…spins longer. You will be happy with either one. I own both…

Get a scout maybe.

I know you asked about bonfire or chief…I like all clyw throws. My favorite is the orca…and the puffin 2. Have you tried either of those? I have a brand new orca for sale in bst forum…shark vs zombie beaver color.

I guess that shows how subjective these things are because I found the Chief to be more stable and longer spinning than the Bonfire. :stuck_out_tongue:

The Bonfire wasn’t really my thing. A great yoyo by any measure, incredibly floaty (whatever that means) and decently fast… but something about it just didn’t resonate with me.

The Chief on the other hand, is a fantastic yoyo. Unique feel, stable, comfortable. Personally I prefer it to the Bonfire. Plays slightly more solid than the Bonfire, seems to have a stronger spin to it as well and seems more stable to me.

Steve himself has said that he feels like the Chief is the defining CLYW yoyo. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pretty much what Gambit said.

If you’re looking for the yo-yo that really just embodies the spirit of CLYW, you want the Chief. It’s “floaty”, stable, and has an all around great feel that’s not so easy to explain.

Bonfire feels a little more competition oriented in play. It’s faster, a little easier to maneuver, but in my opinion it’s missing that ‘special something’ that the Chief has.

I would pick the Chief over the Bonfire, although recently I would pick the Orca over the Chief… It’s all personal preference in the end, but since your question was about which yo-yo defines CLYW, I say go with the Chief.

1 Like

Alright, cool. Everyone seems to have completely different opinions, which I love :slight_smile:

Since I am probably going to only have one CLYW, maybe the Chief is better for me. I tried the Orca, not too big of a fan, because I am really looking for something that screams “CLYW” and unique, and although it played great, didn’t like it that much. Bonfire was really cool as well. Thanks for all the opinions, keep them coming if anyone else has one!

Good decision.

But:

“I am probably going to only have one CLYW…”

right…

Lol I wish you would be right, but I would never be able to afford it. Maybe when I get a job, but as of right now, no. :smiley:

Yes but if you get a clyw and don’t like it or you know you dont want it you can always trade or sell it and buy another one as Clyws has a great resale value. One of my fav part about Clyws. Lol

Like I didn’t liked my wm2 fg and sold it for 100$.

I’ve read a lot of good things about the Chief. However, when I’m gonna buy my next throw, it’ll be a bonfire. I like the specs and the profile better. The sasquach looks cool too, I like heavier throws.

I have and enjoy both of them…
but I do throw my Bonfire more often :wink:

Bonfire is probably my favorite metal at the moment 8)

Thanks guys! Really helpful to have many different opinions.

If you’re still collecting opinions, I’m a vote for the Chief. My favorite yoyo. The Bonfire is great and all, but it doesn’t have that something something that the Chief has. If you want an encapsulation of everything CLYW gets right, you want a Chief, in my opinion. Stable and strong-spinning with an irresistible feel on the string. Chiefs have rarely disappointed, and that’s saying something, considering the high expectations a player has for it when they try it.

Thank you! Really helpful, I appreciate it. Still open to any opinions, not going to choose until later