Finger Nail Length

Yo who keeps their nails long for yoyo? How big is the impact? I’ve seen a bunch of players with longer finger nails and started to let mine get longer a few times but then cut them before it actually mattered. I’m right at that point where it might start be helpful but it’s also kind of annoying and idk what I wanna do. Maybe just the thumb nail bc I can see how it could be helpful for chopsticks stuff. I don’t know thoughts?

Also the extra length would be for tech and not sigh…dna…

3 Likes

Omg this post bring me to the classical guitar days!
Hours over hours of dudes and dudettes of all ages talking about nails lenght and shape plus the products to maintein them properly, I remember I had a full lesson on that with my teacher lmao also the never ending war nails against / no nails and the difference in play and hand position lmao
Thanks for this post man, it kind of bring me back

But…For me yoyo is no nails!

5 Likes

I don’t see any application in trick performance where long nails would be beneficial.

4 Likes

Yeah I’m not sure exactly either and that’s why I wanted to ask. I’ve seen enough players with exceptionally long nails that I know it’s something ppl do.

Gotta keep the non dom hand pointer long for the sick finger spins bro.

As absurd as it might sound I have to keep my nails short for my own health. My OCD and diabetic body don’t like to play well together and long nails just end up being scratches or open wounds my body doesn’t heal properly and can lead to infections which just compound health issues as antibiotics aren’t the best for helping you get your sugars in control.

Sadly dumb brain can’t leave stuff alone and stress habits can become unintentional self harm. Go figure. I’m curious what y’all are doing with long nails and yoyo as an observer as I can’t imagine what nails would help with.

1 Like

As someone with heavily beaten-up fingernails I’m lucky I can talon grind on any yo. Fingerspins are very iffy and have a high chance of failure.

1 Like

I mean yeah some of the tiktok kids or w/e are insanely good at it and have a long nails and that’s kinda sick. I also just seen like some older players like chris makita and charles haycock have long nails and I don’t think they were doing it for that maybe they play classical guitar I don’t know

1 Like

No nails is slightly preferred for me.

If one of my fingernails breaks or chips or has a bit of an edge it can snag and get caught on threads of the string. I’ve never felt long nails to be beneficial to me, they only get in the way by occasionally snagging on threads of the string.

3 Likes

Stub nails have definitely prevented me from catching unwanted strings before now that i think about it.

3 Likes

No nails allowed! Stop trying to mess up that beautiful finish!

1 Like

I let my nails grow a little long recently til I got annoyed with them but not for yoyo skills, for knot picking skills. Haha

Long nails make yoyoing harder. Source, ive had acrylics for 2 years.

5 Likes

I think if you get grade enough at throwing yo-yos to make it up to the main stage during major Yoyo Contests, Worldwide, I think long fingernails would be a great defensive tool to fight off rabid fans, trying to climb on the stage to get your autograph.

Also… If you’re busking for bucks in front of the coffee shop in and confronted by gangsters that think yo-yos are bogus, you can always use those long fingernails and punish the Homies for scarfing at you.

…. On a more serious note… And this could just be the direct result of me not being good enough to know the difference. I am absolutely puzzled as to why longer fingernails would have any sort of distinct advantage in relation to more affectively performing in yo-yo tricks.

As a matter of fact, if the OP would’ve posted that question on April 1, I would’ve kind of laughed and thought to myself. Oh, that’s a good one let’s see what people do with that?

Can anybody step up and suggest tricks or combos that could be more effectively accomplished successfully by having fingernails longer than what would be considered not long fingernails?

In all the years I’ve been visiting this forum, the longer fingernails for yoyoing, has got to be just about the oddest thing I’ve ever heard.

I am certainly looking forward to somebody at a very high playing level to jump in and describe the positives of having longer fingernails when throwing tricks?

3 Likes

It is easier to untie knots in yoyo string with longer finger nails. So I guess having long finger nails is good for green triangle, spirit bomb, brent stole, ninja vanish…

2 Likes

Woah wild! I take this as a compliment coming from you! Odd is good with me! I find it’s nice to be open to new and/or unconventional ideas. I was curious, so I thought I would ask. I didn’t really think it was that odd of a question but I guess it is? Hah!

1 Like

I didn’t say it was a bad question. I didn’t suggest it was an unnecessary question. I certainly didn’t suggest that I had a bright answer for the correct answer or any sort of reasonably logical answer as to whether longer fingernails facilitate better yoyo playing.

Also, the fact that I stated I’ve never heard that question does it mean that questions never been asked.

Actually, I find the question very interesting because of the fact that I have absolutely no idea how important or not important finger nail length is?

Being into heavy collision repair as an occupation, if long fingernails were the best thing to happen since sliced bread, I couldn’t take a vantage of that anyway. The only people with shorter fingernails and me are people that bite their fingernails, which I don’t. Anything longer than closely crop fingernails to a mechanic, it’s just not a good luck.

If somebody has a functional, reasonable, logical, hire, field, proven answer to the longer fingernails question I’m sure looking forward to hearing it?

No offense to the OP. I’m guessing at the very least if I was a more advanced player, I can answer that question probably just based on exposure to other yours and experience over time.

Unfortunately, I am not a Yoyo master mind. Do you know these things.

2 Likes

Apart from yoyo, I’m a judoka as well. Short nails are essential in that sport.

1 Like

:eyes:
You got 1st place at worlds for modding yoyos and a national achievement award for yoyo correct? lol you seem like a yoyo master mind to me! hah Also you’ve been on the yyeforums specifically for like 14 yrs so an oddest question nod from someone here all that time would be a compliment without the other accolades. I was being sincere but I don’t know how to convey that on the internet.

The statement you quoted is not quite the way it came out, lol.

What I actually said was, ‘I am not a yo-yo mastermind so I do not know these things’.

But……When I use Talk to Text, it seems that what I say and what the iPhone hears are entirely different.

…… if I am focusing on the forum posts, and doing nothing else, I almost always, without fail, visually scan the text before I hit enter

That being said, if I am posting up an answer, and I just happen to be multitasking, sometimes, as in this instance, I make the mistake of posting a reply without glancing at the text, first, and the results are obvious.

Sometimes I can catch mistakes when they are pretty fresh. In this particular instance since I’m working from 1:30 to 10 PM Pacific time, I’m actually at work right now and didn’t have the time to discover my nonsensical statement.

Sorry about that….

PS…. Giving a brief summary of my yo-yo bio actually makes a pretty good point. To expand on that a little bit think of this.>

I started messing with yo-yos around 1997/1998. I’ve never taken a break. As a player, I’m nowhere close to being at any advanced skill level. I consider myself an average player. And if anybody seen any of my videos it’s pretty obvious I’m not gonna win anything anytime soon on a yo-yo stage. Also, it is true. I won the world modding contest three years in a row. And in 2005, I was recognized with a national achievement award for my contributions to yoyos. And obviously I’ve been on this board around 14+ years or something like that. That information lends credibility to my curiosity concerning the length of fingernails.

Because anything that I have seen or learned or heard in the last 20+ years has done absolutely nothing to give me any idea whatsoever as to the advantages or disadvantages of fingernail length contributing or distracting from yo-yo play.

I guess I’m sort of like one of those idiot savants. Somethings I know and I’m really good at. Outside of that. I’m just an idiot.

Oh well…:sunglasses:

4 Likes

I always find shorter nails, and even with that learning a new trick chips them awfully :pensive: And being bad at 2a has ruined no small amount of nail paint too, lol

2 Likes