Favorite yo-yo?

For me, it’s a tie between the Duncan Barracuda and the Bi-Metal Shutter, though I do definitely prefer Duncan Red Pads over yyf’s.

6 Likes

Peaks for collecting and our club exclusive throw called the gnome for playing. I have 4 gnomes and will never let them go. Just purchased the painted peak in the pic :blush:

14 Likes

My favorite since 2013:
Draupnir_black_1

… yup; I said it. :wink:

14 Likes

How different are the original ones from the overdrived version? I hear the ogs are just amazing @YoyoGeezer

3 Likes

You can tell they’re related but they feel pretty different IMO. The Draupnir is certainly more memorable, the Overdrive Draupnir feels more… generic? Basically, I’ve played a lot of bimetals that feel like the OD Draup but not a ton that feel like the Draupnir. I think the most noticeable aspect is that you do really feel the increased size of the OD. YYR just really hit a “goldilocks” weight distribution with the regular Draup, which has been attempted to be imitated by other companies but it’s never quite the same. Even with the OD, it’s just not the same. It’s for sure a top tier, capable yoyo that will perform with the absolute best of them, - it’s just not an OG. That said though, I think for the price you can do infinitely better than a Draup. The Unprld Flash, CLYW Wildfire, and YYFr Peregrine all give me similar vibes and equivalent performance for waaayyy less money. And while not similar in feel to the Draup, I feel the Duncan GTR and GTR-JS are probably the “best performing” yoyos you can buy today - and that includes the Draup.

4 Likes

Oh sweet dude thank you for the response, i still need to hunt down an OG then as i scooped the OD version on the black Friday sale a few months ago. I do love the OD version i have now so if the og is even better then i gotta try it lol

2 Likes

The Original (OG) Draupnir just seems to have that perfect ratio of body/rims. One thing that is also different is the quality of manufacture. Although Chinese yo-yo manufacturing has come a long way; the Overdrive (OD) Draupnir can not yet match the precision of Japanese Draupnir machining. You can feel the difference playing them both.

But; lets be clear. We are splitting hairs here. The OD Draupnir is fabulous.

3 Likes

Besides getting an OG Draupnir, what would be a good first yoyo that would provide me with that feel of quality from Japanese machining?

1 Like

Hands down it’s the pockeht, I only wish it would play right with ziplines kotn, for some reason lately it needs yoyoexpert type 10 which is a much thicker string. I guess the axle had a break in stage, which sucks lol

1 Like

Add just a bit of beeswax to the loop that goes around the axle. That should do it. I have to do this with my spectraply pockeht.

1 Like

I do it to all my woodens, kotn still kinda slips on response at neutral tension. It use to be great though. Type 10 is perfect for it

2 Likes

The original Duncan Freehand AL from 2013

8 Likes

JT monos (I’m selling the red one :slight_smile: )

I haven’t really played YYRs since they’re mostly out of budget, but JT even in their monos gets a huge thumbs up from me. A300 feels unlike both 7075 and 7068, but it’s comparable in terms of properties. Premium material, domestic machining, cheap(ish) prices on the secondary market compared to YYR.

Adel is my fav JT mono (although Velvety would probably take the slot if I ever get my own)

8 Likes

MK1-SW RBC

This is my newest of 7

But my EDC is this one

14 Likes

Markmont Classic

14 Likes

I’ve still yet to play anything that could dethrone it.

Even though my skill progression grows, my preference in my yoyo hasn’t changed. I bought bi-metals, I tried comp monometals, I tried floaty organics, old school, modern, etc. While there are certainly better yoyos that I own, there’s something special to the MMC that no other yoyo posesses.

From the beginning, the MMC was one of my earliest AL throws when I came back. I used it, and it alone for a whole year, because I’d only buy 1 yoyo a year for my birthday/christmas when I first came back. So the MMC was just, the lucky, perfect buy for me early on. I ended up not buying yoyos shortly after acquiring more - realizing all i needed was the MMC.

I only recently started to buy more yoyos last year since I wanted to try some more since I felt that I was too biased towards the MMC. I did try a lot of other yoyos last year, a lot with thanks to being able to go to DXL meets. But, 4 of what you see in the pic were picked up last year because I wanted to try an MCMO, and I couldn’t pass up a first run Blasted MMC. None of it was intentional, but here we are, and now I look like I have a serious problem.

14 Likes

If you ever want to borrow one let me know. I have a velvety lying around.

3 Likes

Dale,of ar-t:):pinched_fingers:

2 Likes

After months of daily playing basically only with it, I have to say Zero Gravity - Qi is the perfect yoyo for me after more than 10 years of playing yoyo I finally can say that.
I recently entered the team literally cause the Qi and how much I love it but I bought my first one way before (you can see the story in the post about it and around the forum, from the specs I was already hooked up) and I have another one in the way thanks to @jeduardo and this is my first time I have a “double copy” of a yoyo, this is how much I love it!
So what I am saying is unbiased from the fact I am in the team now.

Let’ s start with the size, I am always on the “smaller” size yoyo as I have small hands so 54mm is usually perfect for me and I do lot of chopstick oriented tricks.

The width at 46mm make it very easy also to move around and in the middle of the strings so it is never “on the way” but is like a little ball that jump around, I think it quite respect modern yoyos size but my maximum of width is from the R-type from Yoyofactory which still I find very comfortable, more than that start to become a bit too much for my hands and my style of play.

Gap width at 4.5 respect the modern yoyoing, nice and open, I would do it even a bit larger just to allow more tricks against the yoyo rotation and more loop of string around the bearing.

The response pads are the standard at 19mm and I can’t pronounce about the 7003 aluminium as I do not have knowledge about materials, what I can say is that I heavily ding it lot of times and has no vibrations and even the yoyo seems barely damaged.

From the first throw I had such a good feeling, in the hands feel very solid and great quality, the finishing is perfect (I took the purple galaxy and will receive the green galaxy soon, sadly I did not think about the fade it grown on me and looks sick, overall the quality and the ano finish looks and feel great) very good for grinds as well, I like when yoyos are great for grinds, not because I do many of them but just because sometimes doing combos it can happen to slightly hit the yoyo with your hand, if the finish is grind friendly doesn’t really mess up with your combo so make the yoyo a bit more easy to manoeuvre and forgive some little mistakes.

The weight at 62.1 grams make it quite light weight but still nice and present on the string, I like to feel the yoyo on the strings, makes my combo more “safe” and mostly when I catch a slack or a laceration, the weight to me seems well distributed on the sides and make it a yoyo very reliable also in horizontal, I found to play in horizontal quite easy with this yoyo without “run” in the combo, it give you quite a great control.

I do not think is a yoyo adapt for “chill” playing it feel like more a performer and crazy tricks oriented, it’s quite a fast throw and aggressive, it forgive mistakes quite a lot and has a sort of “floaty” component, it feels can stay in the air and jump quickly between the strings, I really like this characteristic of this yoyo, also because I do like to make weird combos and slacks, I feel like with the Qi I am in a “safe” zone, I can do long tricks, hard tricks and play for fun (I think is a bit over powered for very chill combos but still you can play slow if you want) but I think this yoyo wants to be pushed most of the time.

The shape is an H-shape and feels very comfortable in the hands, also in my small hands it quite take the shape of it after every bind, very comfortable to play.

Just to end it, to me this throw looks cool as hell, which I believe is one of the most important thing for myself, even the eyes needs it’s part :joy:

Pictures from YYE:

13 Likes

I’ll probably get flack - but for me it’s the shutter.

It was my first unresponsive and I learned so many tricks on it. Still have that vibe SOB around lol

9 Likes