Favorite Video Games

Diablo 2 is a wicked good game.

3 Likes

Portal & Portal 2 are amazing. The idea, the small visual clues that they put throughout and the audio are so unique. Portal 2 has a 2 player option and I enjoyed playing with my wife, we beat every level. Amazing co-op, really makes you work together to figure out a problem. I have played through this game 3 times now.

Bioshock was also a visually pleasing game with such a unique storyline. Thatā€™s another game I beat at least 3 times.

Havenā€™t played in years but Metal Gear Solid was great for itā€™s time.

Resident Evil 5. Another game with great co-op. I played on Xbox live with my friend and we beat it several times. I like that you got to keep your items after finishing the game and can restart the storyline with those items/weapons.

Castle Crashers. I played this for years and when my son turned 5, he discovered it and we played together which I will always cherish those memories. Turned into him wanting to play in the back yard with foam swords and cardboard shields :joy:

4 Likes

Onimusha (1-3)
Resident Evil 2
Devil May Cry (OG)
Gran Turismo 2
Jak & Daxter

5 Likes

Jack and daxter man. I want another game so bad.

If we go by some of my dumb tattoos: FFVII, Borderlands 2, PokƩmon, Marvel vs Capcom 2.

Recent favorites: the new God of War, Marvelā€™s Spider-Man, Resident Evil 2 remake, Bloodstained: Ritual of the night.

3 Likes

nes tetris
mario kart 7
tic tac toe

1 Like

M E T A L - G E A R - S O L I D

Any of them, I really enjoy creeping around corners and avoiding detection

2 Likes

Galaga / Tempest / Defender/ Rastan / Gorf / Lunar Lander

5 Likes

Your age is showing :wink:

1 Like

Lately Iā€™ve been all about Samurai Shodown on PS4. Iā€™m not too terribly good, but Iā€™ll fight anyone. Feel free to add Sinisteryoyos if you feel like a match.

1 Like

Many iterations of Zelda. The kids & I thoroughly enjoyed playing Wind Waker & Twilight Princess over the winter.

4 Likes

Guilty

Letā€™s see, I think the best way to do this is try to do a chronological order of my various gaming obsessions.
NES
Technically my journey started with an Atari2600, or maybe that Bust-a-move cabinet at the dentistā€™s office, but the NES is where it got real. I played games like Final Fantasy, Mega Man 2, Super Mario 1, 2, and 3, the first Zelda, Bubble. Bobble, Tecmo Bowl, and Double Dragon. My brothers and I would kill the time on rainy days playing in Tecmo Bowl or taking turns at running levels on Mario and Mega Man. To this day, Mega Man 2 is still my favorite platformer, and yes, I can probably still speed run it like a pro :yum:
SNES
We have had very many games for the SNES growing up, but there are two in particular that I played relentlessly: Contra 3 and Killer Instinct. Contra was basically Metal Slug on steroids, and KI was easily the best 2D fighter that you could play on console (I think SNKvCapcom was only on cabinets?).
Playstation
The PS1 was the first console I got that was actually mine, and that meant I got to set it up in my room. So naturally, I spent far too many hours playing games like: Metal Gear Solid, GTA, Monster Rancher, SiphonFilter, TenchuAssassin, and various sports games. However, what really pulled me in was the Final Fantasy series. I had played the first one for NES, and when I first got a PS1, the first game I got for it was Final Fantasy VII. This lead to lifelong addiction of this series, with my favorite game of all time being Final Fantasy Tactics. Iā€™m just waiting for Nintendo to give me a straight port, no updates, on the Switch of that game.
PC
PC gaming was intertwined throughout most of my life. One of the first PC games I ever played was Command&Conquer: Red Alertā€¦ and immediately a love for RTS was born. This lead me down the road of playing games like Starcraft, Warcraft 1-3, Civilization, and Lords of the Realm. However, there was a little custom map for Warcraft 3 that caught my attentionā€¦ it was called Defense of the Ancients, or more popularly, DotA. As weā€™ve seen, this split off its own genre of games called MOBA, but more on that in a bit. It was also around this time a couple of friends of mine introduced me to Counterstrike 1.6, and shortly after, Counterstrike: Source. I wasnā€™t typically big into FPS as I was never that good at them on consoles, but quickly found with a mouse and keyboard in hand, I was actually quite good. This led to several years of obsession and playing on CAL teams until my next addiction came along, World of Warcraft. I got into WoW towards the end of the Burning Crusade expansion because some friends in college talked me into trying it out. I was hooked. There were days I would wake up, log on, and be on literally until I went to sleep. Weā€™d meet up at a buddies, throw in a season DVD of Its Always Sunny, and smoke and play all day long. Talk about the cool kids, right? This lasted for the most part until Cataclysm came out, and they ruined my spec and class, and I lost interest. I tried to come back when MoP came out, but I just couldnā€™t get back into it. And in between there my older brother had talked me into checking out League of Legends. I had played a couple other MOBAs since DotA, but just hadnā€™t really gotten into any of them. League got me though: hook, line and sinker. The kicker being, it was started by the same two guys that made the original DotA map on WC3:RoC (it was eventually passed on to a guy named IceFrog, and was grown into DotA:Allstars - this is also the same guy behind DotA 2). I played this game nearly every day for probably 6 years, and recently got back into it for a bit, but it didnā€™t stick.
Now
Now my gaming consists of messing around on the Switch here and there on various games. Zelda, Smash Bros, Warframe, and the Final Fantasy re-released are some of my favorites so far, but itā€™s hard to find time anymore.
Tl;dr- Video games were a massive part of my life for a lot of it, though if I had to pick a singular game Iā€™ve spent the most time playing, itā€™s not even a competition: League of Legends.

6 Likes

Iā€™m replaying FFVII again on the switch, it went on sale not to long ago. Game is still top tier.

1 Like

Yeah Iā€™ve gotten the VII rerelease and the X/X-2 HD remaster so far. Still have to get IX and XII on there. I have VII-IX and Tactics on my PSPGo, but Iā€™d love to be able to play Tactics on my TV.

SquareSoft = some of the best games ever made

SquareEnix = consecutive letdowns of games with large promise

That FFVII remake is going to be episodic :nauseated_face:

3 Likes

Im definitely not ready to join the hype train on the FFVII remake, thatā€™s for sure. Everyone already likes the game. It is revamped graphics we wanted, not an entirely new game with a crappy looking battle system. The more I see, the less hype I have. It looks great, but im not convinced about the battle system yet. But then again the newest FF game ive played is IX, so this could just be the next extension of what they are already doing.

Ill make a list of favorites later, but my favorite FF game is VI, followed by IV. VII ranks up there, but I prefer the more typical fantasy environment of the older games. I havent played much of IX so I prefer not to even rank it yet. Never played V or VIII. Currently playing numero uno on @shatterFXā€™s old NES.

2 Likes

Yeah Iā€™m not super interested in the remake. The rerelease is still the same game, but with some quality of life improvements.

New battle system mimics the engine in FFXV and KH3 - itā€™s a fun way to engage in an jrpg but can get monotonous easily if youā€™re playing on a low difficulty.

The FFVII remodel is nice, I like how you can fast forward the game if need be

5 Likes

Yeah, if you didnā€™t like XVā€™s battle system you wonā€™t remakes. That said, being episodic is the only way we are seeing any part of this game in this Decade.

2 Likes