Favorite 2013 Release

Yelets or Summit

Anglam CC

General Yo Prestige but you guys are really making interested in the Draupnir. I had no clue about the Bi metal design although I have heard it was a good yoyo. I really just didn’t see why it would be any better than another yoyo of similar design but now am less ignorant about it. Thank you everyone for posting as you have peaked my interest.

Definitely make every possible effort to try one. I’ve stopped getting excited over new yoyo releases, but the Draupnir seriously takes yoyo design to a new level. There have been steel-rimmed yoyos before (Helix and such), but the shape and weight distribution of the Draupnir makes it perfect for anyone who prefers non-organic shapes.

I saw one on this forum’s BST for $160.00 USD. For that sort of money, you’d be seriously shooting yourself in the foot for not jumping on it.

Yay 1000 th view

Isn’t that exactly what NSCo provided with the Aurora a few years ago? I remember it being pretty cheap (for Ti), well packaged, and with very nice colour options.

But fav release this year for me was the MagicYoYo D5 Dark Sprite. Plays unbelievably well for the price. Though CLYW has kept on raising the bar, so mad props to them for that.

I never saw the extent of any great reviews on how the Aurora played. There is no question about that Ricochet though. And, were they all number engraved too? And, did they come with a multitool, extra bearing …hard plastic display case? I’m also not sure if NSCo made 1000 Auroras for the market. I know for sure that YoyoFactory did that. I don’t know much about the Aurora…so fill me in. I don’t own one.

The Aurora is an awesome YoYo, especially when you consider the fact that it was the first YoYo that Northern Spin released !! It’s slightly larger than the Ricochet, which I prefer, and is an incredible player by any metric. The fact that they managed to find some beautiful colors to anodize it with speaks to their courage in launching their company with Titanium.

Here’s a review from Chris Rhoads @ High Speed. 
http://www.highspeedyoyo.com/reviews/n-z/northern-spin-co/northern-spin-co-aurora

I bought all three color combinations when they released them on the hunch they would be a bit hard to find down the road. It was a somewhat small run, and sure enough they have been absent from the BST. Not surprising for a Titanium.

^ Enlightening. It certainly seems like there aren’t many of those out there. Definitely not as easy to find as a Ricochet. What was the retail price on it new?

200 USD

I love it when people compare yoyos based on the accessories they come with. That definitely has everything to do with them.

There were less than 70 of those made, all sold right around $200. What was so hard about YYF doing that with a simpler,mass produced design? YYF made a big ole’ stink about the Ricochet(never having given us a reason for it being cool other than “but its titanium”!), but people have been putting out affordable really well playing titanium yoyos for a while. Certainly not the game changer they were plugging with all those “you’ll never have to throw your yoyo again!” Videos.

I really like my Ricochet but I’m gonna be honest, I haven’t the slightest clue what came in the box (as in I literally opened it to pull the yoyo out then put the box in a drawer with all my other yoyo boxes) and I think the big plastic case is pointless and sorta tacky looking. CLYW boxes are sort of charming, YYR boxes are classy…the rest of them I really don’t much care about, I only save them because other people care about the boxes. C22 and MG packaging are super balling but I’ve never owned either

Well, technically, it’s part of the product. I think taking goodies in count is not so irrelevant.

I agree Naoki, that the way the product is packaged, and the extras that come with it, are totally relevant in comparing one product to another. In terms of getting your money’s worth, offering extras should be taken into account. Anyone who read that otherwise, missed the entire point, especially the one about how it plays great. Besides, making 70 available and making 1000 available are entirely different efforts.

The yo-yo was so nice…I bought it twice, and looking to buy a third. It is my favorite titanium to date.

I never remember YoyoFactory as the one who made a “stink.” You have some people who are still not over it. :smiley:

Update:

I did a tally of the entire thread. The models that got the most mentions in the last few weeks are:

Summit
Prestige
Quake
Yeti
Shutter
Draupnir
Rally

Everything else got one or two mentions…maybe even three, but no more than that. The other models mentioned were:

Ricochet
Triton
H.O.T.
Turner
Superstar
Genesis
Benchmarks
Strix
Flow
Supernova
Ai5
Bonfire
Walter
Gnarwhal2
BVM2
FormatC
CZM84VK
Hyperion
Irony Jp
IMP
Movitation
Laser
Hatchet
Ape-X
Sakura SE
Krown
Aviator
Yelets

If you think the Ricochet was packaged and presented better than the Aurora youre on crack.

Yes, making 70 and 1000 are different, one could argue that turning out 70 on your first effort and making a timeless, beautiful, affordable titanium yoyo is much much more impressive. Availability isn’t what makes a yoyo.
Think how well priced YYFs offering could have been if they didn’t throw in all that useless crap and that tacky box. An extra bearing and a string cutter is not the way to choose between high end yoyos. Really, at the point of owning stuff like that, you should have everything you need already.

If you’ll read the description of this video, you’ll see eexactly what I meant by “making a big ole stink over”. They take a quick, one throw, one minute video- something everyone can do wih anything, then proceed to say Harold was able to squeeze out a 48 second combo because the Ricochet was that much better, and you could do the same when they drop! Haha.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5ju1Sv86VfE

^ It seems you might be the one on crack because nowhere in this thread, did I ever state that I had seen the packaging, owned an Aurora, or played an Aurora to begin with. But, even if I did…if I preferred the Ricochet packaging, it means I liked the packaging, no more…no less. At the end of the day, it’s a matter of opinion and preference. If you think that me liking packaging of one yo-yo over another, means I’m addicted to a narcotic…it would mean you are indeed hallucinating and likely know more about crack than I do.

Nowhere did I ever state that an Aurora was even manufactured in 2013. I am stating the facts that I know about the yo-yo that I consider my favorite of 2013. That is the topic of this thread. This is not a YoyoFactory Ricochet bashing thread, or what you think of my favorite yo-yo thread, or a Ricochet vs. Aurora packaging thread, a YoyoFactory and Harold Owens Ricochet video review thread, or anything of the sort. So, you watch that video you linked over and over again if you like. I suggest you re-read the topic, re-read my posts, and argue a point I actually made…not one I didn’t.

And no, I’m not impressed about the 70 Auroras…sorry. My favorite of 2013 is the YoyoFactory Ricochet, whether you like it or not…it’s a fact. There is no possible way to argue with me about my favorite yo-yo of 2013.

Summit or Triton

Well golly gee. You must be toking up so much of that rock you can hardly remember comparing two yoyos youve never seen one of. Based on packaging, engraving, and availability, nonetheless.

You seem to bring a lot of negativity with your posts mikers when this was supposed to be a fun thread about your favorite yoyo of 2013. It’s all opinion so can’t we just leave it at that?

Anyways favorite yoyo of 2013 would probly be the Crazy-D by something

2 Likes

The quote you used is a quote where I asked questions of someone else who brought up the Aurora…in a 2013 favorite release thread. A question is not a comparison. You took the ball from the person who brought up the Aurora, which was not mentioned as a favorite in 2013 or any other year within this thread at least…and you ran with it. If you think a question, or a series of questions, is a comparison…you are toking rock, and plenty of it. If that’s your post style, and you can dish it out, and take it too…I’m cool with that.

I never mentioned this looks better than that, this plays better than that, this was packaged better than that. Now, that would be a comparison. Then, you find a quote where I specifically state that I know nothing about the Aurora. But, again, even if I did compare them, and liked the Ricochet better, it has nothing to do with me allegedly smoking a narcotic. You imagined the comparison, and then concluded that the perceived preference is proof of narcotic use. Makes as much sense as the rest of your posts.

On another note…@sparhawk first vote for the Crazy D…wow.