Fake Throws

Yeah bizarre one lol, looks like an antidote hub but with a more plstc type shape

3 Likes

At least those canvases are instantly identifiable due to the cuts being sharper.

3 Likes

Yoyo empire Boreas, think it was released before antidote.

8 Likes

It actually looks identical to a D7

4 Likes

It’s tough to fight the temptation… especially on something like the Canvas that is not readily available on the second hand market, nor been produced for a million years now!

I’d consider a knockoff for a glovebox beater. Although, I could just make my own clone, with Blackjack and hookers!

TRT [Not]Canvas in 2024
/s

8 Likes

CLYW should start a self-bootleg sub-brand called Moose Lodge and remake all those classics that they can (maybe player models for former players are off limits though).

5 Likes

Oh so that’s a legit model and not a clone? Whoops my bad lol

2 Likes

This excludes the canvas then ;(

3 Likes

TRT Duck Fabric (interchangable name for canvas lol)

1 Like

i had a lot of reasons to sell my collection… which i’ll likely talk about another time…. but the proliferation of bootlegs had given me a little bit more motivation as well to move those models quicker. i have my concerns with the market silently getting saturated with these bootlegs - the yoyo community isn’t that big - and the crud getting mixed in with the originals.

12 Likes

I doubt that these fakes are passable enough to sell on the bst. Do you think its actually happening?

3 Likes

Probably. I mean if it happens and everyone is happy and the buyer never knows then that’s just what happens. Next buyer probably wouldn’t notice either at that rate so idk if it actually matters to be honest other than the dishonesty and harm to the legitimate businesses.

I personally don’t sell yo-yos but if I bought a fake and never knew I’m still content. Now if I found out it played arguably different I would be mildly sad but honestly hot take here most mono metal yo-yos play similar to each other. Same thing for most plastic and most bi metal and so on. If it’s the same shape and material it’s hard to tell any real difference.

3 Likes

There have been issues in the past with fake Grails getting sold, and the people with them saying they got them secondhand and didn’t even realize they were bootlegs.

Some of the really good YYR bootlegs are near identical. I know Nest has actually had some issues in the past with buying (secondhand) and selling YYR bootlegs without even realizing they were fakes.

If you’re buying a model that has a surface finish or anodization that doesn’t seem right, that’s a big obvious red flag. But if you’re buying a commonly bootlegged model with no obvious tell, people should be more aware that they need to ask for additional photos of the engravings or guts of the yoyo, wherever the tells are.

3 Likes

Nest is also known to sell fake TPs on their used yoyo page. I’ve seen some pics from a member of the community saying how he received a fake BGM. It seems like the rim interface has a small gap or something compared to the OG.

5 Likes

Wow this is serious, I thought they legit check everything before put up on sale. Guess that Yoyonest = Flightclub

5 Likes

The point here is less to talk about a specific retailer and more to point out how extremely close some fakes are. When a miniscule gap in the ring fit is the only way somebody realized something is a bootleg, that’s concerning for everybody involved.

If you buy anything, even if it’s from a legit/trusted seller. You need to double/triple check that the person you’re buying from has a legit version of it, because they might not even know they have a bootleg.

That’s concerning.

5 Likes

This is not a fake. This is latest version of the Yoyoempire Boreas.

6 Likes

The reason I raised here is the QC of the store aka middle man service. Even though I understand that the Fake is being improved so much, however it is an incident that they must have stricter checking. I basically have no issue with Nest but hopefully they improve this.

From my experience, I used to be in the business of high end clothing like Saint Laurent and many pieces from 2013-2016 (its prime time) has so many fakes that I spent nights studying the difference on each garments and accessory so that I can support my friends business. Therefore, when I heard the story, I just want to question the QC of them.

6 Likes

Honestly, the mere fact of knowing that they are fake copies makes me lose interest in them.
And I could buy them right now, but none of them are what they appear to be…:frowning:

5 Likes

I knew when I started seeing older yoyos sell for double or triple their original price this would start being more of a problem. Overseas machine shops can Crank these things out.

The second hand yoyo community isn’t very big, can really make things messy.

2 Likes