Looking to buy for the first time in a long time

Been about 4 years since i bought a throw. The draupnir had just dropped and was all the rage. Is that thing still around? Whats the hot jos these days?

10 Likes

The Hummingbird by YoYoFriends is called the Draupnir-killer, that’s really all I need to say, lol.

2 Likes

I’m still throwing the Magnum and Sov I got from you. Do you still have my Black Biz? Man how the heck you’ve been? Remember when I asked you to make me glass counter weights for my company? good times!

5 Likes

Hi Dizzo. We did a few buy/trades in the past. Endorsement now for BST.

1 Like

Whats up!? Wow those are some great memories!
Sold off the collection some years ago. Kept a c13 and a bonfire. Sold everything else and had enough for the down payment on a house lol:) still throw now and then, but way less

6 Likes

If you don’t mind me asking how many did you have?
No matter, good to see you again.

1 Like

Oh, i was pretty hot in the bst back then, so the number was always changing. I was prabably around 60 when i sold it all off, but every one of them was pretty sought after and expensive

5 Likes

I never made trades back then, but I remember seeing you around. Welcome back! There’s a lot of good throws out there that are fun. If you’re into bimetals, the hummingbird is a good choice, like others have said. Also 2sick makes some great bimetals too. Heard amazing things about the newly released grandmaster, and the blockade is amazing too. Monometals there are a lot to choose from. Cadence, cognition, reticulated return tops throws, art throws, etc.

2 Likes

Still got your case…

1 Like

Thats awesome! I have no clue where anything ended up going. Got any of my painted peaks?
I see the tiwalker is coming out again!? Might have to snag that up. So we arent mad at heath any more? Thats good to hear.
The one i really miss was my catch22. I cant believe i had 3 and now i have none lol. Id imagine those are never seen anymore

4 Likes

Many say the Draupnir is still the best yoyo, but it definitely has a lot more competition than it did before and it’s not as clear cut anymore.

The Sengoku Masamune, YoYoFriends Hummingbird, and at least one other I can’t remember off the top of my head have been called Draupnir killers by some though.

For companies, in terms of pure performance you should take a look at UNPRLD. For hype and prestige(like CLYW and General Yo back in the day), check out SF and G2, or if you want something more niche and different, try A-RT(A Return Tops, not to be confused with ART, Amplified Return Tops. It’s run by Charles Haycock and Jensen Kimmitt, you probably recognize those names).

UNPRLD Flashback
SF Bliss and Cadence
G2 Banshee and Elite
A-RT Grail

Those are their respective companies’ flagships so those are the first ones I would look at.

I would also personally recommend Sengoku. They aren’t quite as popular as the previously mentioned nowadays but I think every single model they’ve released is designed to perfection in terms of what they try to accomplish and I have loved each one I’ve owned

5 Likes

I still hate heath. Let that be known. But other than that it’s pretty chill. I didn’t get any of your peaks at that time I was only interested in American Made. Good to here from you dude!

3 Likes

Heya Brent! Good to see you around!

4 Likes

Dang @dizzo you must have been deep into it back in the day?

Lol @HVizier :rofl: :rofl:

As far as “what’s good now to buy” the answer is… basically everything? We live in a golden age of yo-yos. So just pick any yo-yo model that appeals to you!

4 Likes

@dizzo

4 Likes

TBH it doesn’t feel like much has changed. Tons of new tiny meh companies. Lots of market saturation. We’re looking at the 2nd Ti Walker remake in two years but besides that there’s not much else notable IMO.

3 Likes

This was super informative for me, as I’ve found myself in a similar situation to @dizzo. Was super into the BST, left scene but kept all my yoyos about five years ago and come back to find lots more titaniums, bi-metals everywhere, YYJ dead and little small companies all over the place. Luftwerk seems to be hot stuff. Also somewhat sad that the modding community has sorta died out.

Its been fun catching up and seeing old faces though. Personally I find it nice to see that CLYW still holds some cache. I heard they released a TiPeak? I need to find one of those.

Oh and also the community is sorta split between FB, some reddit and here. I miss having just a centralized community. FB seems more focused on BST, here’s what came in the mail and less thoughtful discussion. The community feels a little older as well, but maybe that’s just me. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

There’s also a Peak 2 now

2 Likes

Thanks for all the info guys!
After all these years, im gonna get a draupnir lol. Might have to pick up a ti walker too. they were pretty nice. At the time I liked small and fast yos, but today, I like nice and stable.

5 Likes