Excess string after bind?

I’ve been trying to bind for days and I keep on coming across the same problem: after I bind there is a few inches of string that hangs out of the yoyo along with the finger loop. Because of this, the next time I throw a sleeper the yoyo goes down a few inches then shoots back up. It’s when I throw the next sleeper then the yoyo goes all the way down. I bind with the Mind Bender way cause I keep on having problems with the reverse trapeze. Anyone know what I’m talking about?
rct3dt

are you throwing a sleeper or a breakaway when you throw?

You need to use a smaller loop when binding, thats all. :smiley:

sleeper

do what d4rqk0n3 said with a smaller loop

He throws a sleeper and does a bottom mount bind (braintwister) and the cause of the excess string coming out is because he is using too big of a loop to bind with, if his loop was smaller it wouldnt be so big that it would stick out, which prevents ghost knotting, which is when the strings dont wind correctly and they wrap weird causing a sudden jerk when throwing the next time, which in turn causes the yoyo to snap right back up. So, again just use a smaller loop and you shouldn’t have a problem. Good luck :smiley:

Are you talking about the loop around the bearing?

After a week I have the sleeper bind and break away almost 100 %, You must catch the string opposite of bottom mount. Spin must be the right direction or it won’t bind.

The loop around your non-throwhand finger.

1 Like

It took me a while to get this. If you’re not pinching the string against your free finger, it can slip along your finger when you try to bind. When this is happening you need to throw a lot of string into the gap to make it grip. You want to bind so you only need a tiny bit of string to go in before it grips.

Throw a sleeper, mount and prepare to bind, but do your bind in slow motion. Is the string slipping along your finger and doing nothing useful? Pinch another finger against your free finger so the string is locked there and slow motion bind again - notice when you move towards a bind now one piece of string going back to the yo develops some slack. The yoyo wants to eat a string, and a slack string won’t fight back. That’s your bind.

If you get what I’m talking about above, start speeding it up. Soon you’ll be binding like a champ and can focus on doing it tighter and with smaller loops (ie trapeze closer to your free hand).

Eventually when you get very good at it you can stop pinching the string. Keeping the yo weight and motion and string tension perfect will let you cheat. When all the ducks are in a row the tension on your free finger will be just enough to bind without pinching. In expert videos you’ll see they don’t pinch the string. But these are gods, one with the yoyo, and do plenty of other things mere mortals can only marvel at. :slight_smile:

Same thing happened to me when I first started binding, just keep at it till it works. Try binding with different string amounts and force. Just fiddle till it works

no that ive been yoyoing for about 6 months i dont have this happen ever. as you play longer ur bind will be just right and precise. just practice and practice