Ever had a string break?

Had a string break twice. Once in a prototype yoyo, and once on a basecamp expedition right out of the box.

1 Like

I tried out some YYSL on my '18 eH after we talked about using poly on fixed axles. Was really surprised, took a little break in, but it lasted a long time, and was really nice! However, I didn’t like it more than cotton. So when I went back to my standard cotton string I was feeling all this friction. The cotton was pulling all of this poly off of the axle! That was new.

Funny you mentioned going to cotton on bearings. I’ve been thinking a lot about that as well. I’ve eliminated as much single use plastic from my life as I feel is possible since taking a trip to Hawaii in 2008. And my string usage is the one that’s bothered me. I’ve kept a string ball just to keep from throwing them away. But keep thinking of trying cotton on everything, even hope Evan would start making Lacers again, those strings were really nice on a modern ball bearing yoyo!

3 Likes

Yeah the poly residue phenomenon is WEIRD. Like it DOES melt just like the old crummy poly, but because it’s sturdier it doesn’t snap, and instead it leaves kind of a weird sheen/deposit on the axle. And going back to cotton, it’s like scrubbing it off for awhile.

Anyway, it’s mainly for those reasons that I chose to part ways with YYSL. Matt is the absolute best - a gem of a dude, and his string is fantastic.

But I love cotton. I love its texture. I love how it works with the axles I’m using. I love the idea that every part of most of the yo-yo’s I’m throwing used to be ALIVE. And I love that it will break down. Like it sounds stupid, but every time I tossed a spent poly string for awhile, I’d think about how I’d feel throwing it in the ocean or the woods or whatever. And strings are small and they last ok, but if I’m literally trying to minimize my footprint in every other area, AND I already love cotton… just kind of the straw that broke the camel’s back.

5 Likes

I’ve been curious if hemp could be used for yoyo string. I believe it’s about 30% stronger than cotton, but can be a similar feel.

1 Like

Well I just lost my gamer. Was out side relaxing, threw a good around the world felt great! Did it again right as it reached the end and about at a 40 degree pop and I watch my spinning gamer sail into the thicket beside my house,

somewhere to the left of the drain.

It’s Monday my dudes!

8 Likes

:exploding_head: holy crud what?

Yeah it’s in there, I may try to search for it. It was a great loss

1 Like

I wish you the best of luck! :face_with_monocle:

My mental visualization of Ed when he’s in this dreamspace

3 Likes

No, not that I can recall. Guess I’m not trying hard enough.

You may not want too

1 Like

Ragequit?

Ooooh Monday

Time to strap on your hiking boots and go for an adventure! haha

I’ve never even heard of this, but then again I don’t play fixed axle. I’m convinced now the string I had break was cotton not poly. I remember when I threw it the first time it just felt completely different, like there was no give to it at all. In retrospect I should have known it would break.

However, given what you are saying about fixed axle, I can see how cotton would have it’s place there.