Educate me on the MFD hype please

There are other companies who can do crazy ano like that. It just isn’t economical for most companies to use them. MFD can get away with it because they do the ano in house. I think that’s also why they can push it a bit further. Check out what these places that other yoyo companies have worked with can do:
https://www.atmfinc.com/photos

5 Likes

I actually have a question, excuse my curiosity/ignorance (I don’t own any MFD - I respect the brand, but it’s not my thing)… does MFD have any competition based models? And where do most of their releases fall in terms of weight range? Could just be me, but they all kinda look… heavy. And, have they ever released anything with more “traditional” ano, or has it always been pretty wild?

2 Likes

I see it as the same as OD. Not comp throws, but fun and unique. But to me thats what makes them special. And he does all the ano himself which is cool and feels special.

I myself tend to like the anos with fewer different colors. Like the black with pink and purple. Or the blues and pink.
And since they are made in Canada in short runs and rarely drops, supply is short and demand is high… $$$

2 Likes

Somebody else might be able to give you more info but I know there are a handful of MFD solids out there.

Models like the Pixelape and Conspiracy seem fairly standard as good comp monometals. Anti Pro was basically an organic stacked with more rim weight than you’d expect, I think the cuts actually removed a lot of the center weight. Nothing driven for comp, but still very capable designs.

2 Likes

At least 95 percent of all people that ever pick up a yo-yo and throw it around for any length of time will NEVER(like in never-ever) enter any kind of ‘yo-yo competition’ at any level in their entire yo-yo lifetime.

There is nothing ‘wrong’ with Makers/designers constantly pushing the Comp level yo-yo designs(just a progression based on what they learn over time). But to identify or classify certain Yo-yo Makers as selling very good yo-yos but not necessarily ‘Competition yo-yos’ is in a sense, devaluing a Company’s’ products without logical justification.

Example…. ‘Uh, I buy One Drops and MonkeyfingeR yo-yos because they are very well made, look very good and play very well, but if they are not really Competition level, are they worth it’?

Well, to 95 percent of buyers, the answer is most likely YES.

Especially considering that many years ago, probably half the tricks still known today for their complexity and creativity were done with: Freehands, Raiders, Renegades, etc. <> $12 to $20 something plastic yo-yos with small bearings and not very advanced response systems.

Most yo-yo throwers today, at the majority of skill levels, have yo-yos with more potential than they will need to get better. …….And even today, the higher levels of actual Competition players, can walk down the aisle on the way to ‘the stage’ taking a yo-yo they borrowed from somebody in the crowd and still knock out some AMAZING freestyles.

There are many motivations to seek out one yo-yo or another. For most people, any determination or preoccupation with a mindset that only Comp level yo-yos ‘are the winning Ticket to Supremacy’ is wasted energy.

I love One Drop and MonkeyfingeR yo-yos. And since I am one of the majority that will NEVER compete and just mainly like throwing and having fun, they check all the boxes for me.

The fear of possibly not being able to get better without ‘Superman’s’ Signature yo-yo, is way overrated.

Neither One Drop or MonkeyfingeR ‘deliberately create hype’. Hype is primarily the product of people that have various motivations that may allow them to ‘take advantage’ of whatever hype they can generate, to profit from it.

……Funny stuff

10 Likes

If I may add Mable… I believe it’s a bit of cyclical dilemma with secondary market prices and hype.
If I understand correctly: even when you don’t want MFD, it’s difficult not to buy one given the secondary market prices. Therefore you’ll buy with the purpose of reselling. (Please correct me if I’m wrong)
Regardless if this is what you meant, I think this reselling mindset does exist- it’s a smart move to make profit.
However this in itself keeps secondary market prices high.
When there is profit to be made, it adds to demand (hype) as resellers will attempt to control the supply, this generates more hype as collectors try beat the resellers to secure a yo-yo, if they fail they’re forced to pay the reseller as the reseller now controls the supply, hence the cyclical dilemma.
To stay on topic of “Hype” and not get into the equilibrium theory of supply and demand- this is not the sole reason for the hype but it is definitely a contributing factor, in my humble opinion.

3 Likes

Yea but very rarely do you see someone trying to sell right after a drop with the intention to make money from it (seems like wasted energy for a few extra 20s, but maybe thats just me), its usually people who missed the drop feeling FOMO and trying to cop and willing to pay above retail…

3 Likes

I agree with you on both points.
I think there are several reasons that motivate resellers and several reasons that motivate secondary market buyers.
Regardless of the motivations or reasons, the high prices on the secondary market are there and this further feeds the hype, which further feeds the high prices and so on. Hence the cyclical dilemma.

My initial reply was adding to the point, that because of the high prices related to supply and demand (FOMO) a secondary market exists. This adds to motivation to sell because of these high prices and limited supply. It also adds motivation to buy because even if you don’t really want it, you believe it may be more expensive in the future. This contributes to Hype.

Not to digress too much but in theory, (not my opinion, free market equilibrium theory) if MSRP was at equilibrium in relation to supply and demand, a secondary market would not exist.
In other words, demand (and hype) would decrease the more MSRP increased, therefore you would not be able to sell the product for more than it was worth ie the price (and hype) would be at equilibrium.
Not ideal for the consumer paying high but that is why they are free to spend elsewhere.
This is how in a free market, supply and demand are directly correlated to price and also directly correlated to hype.

1 Like

They didn’t use to have so much hype. Not that long ago it was not really an issue getting one during a drop. I can’t believe some of these second hand prices now. It’s all about the ano jobs when talking monkey finger. The yoyos are solid as well, but it’s all about the colors.

I’ve been a zoo member for years. Go ahead and sign up if you want a monkey finger. It’s free and it basically gives you a higher chance of getting one. Occasionally they make some kind of yoyo accessory that’s usually pretty cool. I wish they would make the yoyo cases more often. The last one was badass.

7 Likes

Bring back the rhino tool and I’ll be happy.

5 Likes

Ray came out with this yoyo holster/ multitool recently. That’s pretty similar i think. It’s a good knot picker/ string cutter.

10 Likes

Well MonkeyFinger sure are doing something right if people can talk this much about them!

14 Likes

If you were to post anything that you made for sale, I would bet it sell almost instantly.

3 Likes

Perhaps if it’s a fixed axle. People will rarely buy my unresponsive yoyos.

2 Likes

Well if anything this thread has made me want an MFD at some point in this life…so I guess the hype at least feeds enough of my personal curiousity.

3 Likes

I will take this moment to say that anyone that passes up on one of SpinWorthy Glenn unresponsive is making a mistake. I bought a plastic unresponsive from him and it’s one of my favorite unresponsive plastic yoyos.

16 Likes

Thanks, mate!

6 Likes

Always willing to buy more unresponsive! These things are great!

9 Likes

+1 for Spinworthy unresponsive plastics. I also own one, and, it is definitely not holding me back.

To get back on topic, I think MFD’s hype has something to do with the MonkeySnot response & all the color options

11 Likes

Swirls and splashes arent complicated designs. Im guessing these Anno guys see what the secondary market brings and then try to charge based on the secondary market value. Just a guess

3 Likes