Anyone have luck with MFD drop?

Anyone get lucky with the Halloween MFD drop? I was trying for an artist proof, no such luck. Man that’s a battle!

I did manage a Halloween Aotus. Wasn’t my first choice but I’m happy.

7 Likes

nope lol, maybe this just sounds salty but after years of these exclusive drops it just takes the fun out of it

1 Like

I don’t even try anymore with MonkeyfingeR or G2.

11 Likes

Maybe I haven’t been in the game long enough to be discouraged. I didn’t realize these drops were so contentious.

I basically had to mash my phone screen frantically to try to complete a purchase. Maybe I got really lucky and I’ll feel the same the next time when I don’t get so lucky.

3 Likes

I grabbed a Halloween Conspiracy. Pretty pumped to try the Conspiracy in 7075.

5 Likes

Was the first MfD drop I’ve participated in. Messed up and didn’t realize the zoo had a specific link so I kept refreshing the store but nothing was showing up and kept hitting database errors lol. Was hoping to try and snag a Halloween release, Nevermore, or Neo-Tokyo, but no such luck. It is what it is, small numbers plus high demand is bound to lead to many disappointments; I did manage to snag an 80’s Time Machine that seemed to show up a couple minutes in so that was very fortunate. Totally get why some don’t even try for these and G2 releases.

1 Like

Limited run drops are basically lotteries. You have better chances of picking them up via BST later on.

5 Likes

I can’t/won’t do the drop scramble for any company’s releases. I’m fine with letting others do it and then I can scoop something up later at a discount and without the stress/frustration.

7 Likes

Might be an Unpopular Option . But Copping Drops is an unspoken advanced Yo-Yo collector skill.

8 Likes

It’s like the lottery. Cant win if you dont play right? I’ve missed drops for MFD and G2. The demand is high and both like releasing yoyos in small batches but new colors pretty frequently. And of course if it’s a color to catches your eye, odds are it appealed to a ton of other guys also.

Edit: side note. Ray does his own ano work. It’s a side gig. Not his full time job. So that also plays a part in how/why he releases small quantities at a time.

6 Likes

Buying a yoyo shouldn’t feel like a game of chance. It should be: you plunks your money down and you gets what you purchased. Unfortunately, these boutique yoyos have a severely inverted supply/demand ratio. There’s simply not enough to go around, which makes obtaining one a contest rather than a simple act of online shopping. You have to be/think/act like a collector just to obtain one.

4 Likes

I would somewhat agree if it was a volunteer service for the community. But I’m in no position to tell these guys how to run their business they spend doing their free time with

6 Likes

I tried for a Halloween aotus, but ended up with a spidy sense aotus instead, I’d trade ya for the Halloween aotus😁

2 Likes

Not a skill. It is software. Many people use it on YYE to get those throws before you do:

Featured snippet from the web

A sneaker bot is an application, or an automated script, which is used to speed up the checkout process when buying products online. While any computer can run a bot , servers are commonly used for speed.Jan 12, 2020

2 Likes

I think boutique yo-yo’s are attempting to tap the hype of truly great throws that release overseas. These throws usually sell-out in minutes. It has, historically, been a way to discern the good from the bad, at a distance. With these small releases; they sell-out fast. It is also a way to make mediocre yo-yo’s that can still be economically viable due to the continual appetite from the collector market that cares more about rarity than the way they play.

Oddly; these boutique yo-yo’s do not seem to hold their value in the secondary-market; where the hype and retail competition have long since passed.

The question is: are they really good yo-yo’s? Or, are they just for “collectors” and “enthusiasts”? Personally, I skip the game. If it is truly a great yo-yo; manufacturers will make plenty for us to consume.

7 Likes

WELL spoken. I agree.

1 Like

I think it’s interesting to compare these limited drops with those like @Glenacius_K and @vegabomb, where they are hand making these yoyos, and the constraints are on their actual time. Am I correct that the constraints for the limited “boutique” drops we are discussing in this thread are just how many they order to be manufactured? (with the financial risks that involves)

1 Like

Got 2Evil in Halloween colorway, hoped for Artist proof, but they were sold out after i managed to get rid of database errors :smiley:

2 Likes

I’d say that’s a large part of it. Consider too that boutique makers can rarely forecast demand accurately, and so they don’t really know how many yoyos to produce. They could take a chance and have hundreds, or thousands made in the hopes that they will manage to sell them all. But in the absence of accurate sales forecasts, boutique makers have to play it safe and make only very small runs. If a throw ends up selling out very quickly, then a second run can be considered, and then a third, etc.

3 Likes

I think this is mostly bollocks, but thanks for your opinion anyway; it is an interesting perspective.

3 Likes