DV888 vs Duncan Mayhem vs Dark Magic

just wondering which one of these is the best and what they are each good for. thanks.

No yoyo is better than another one.

They are good for yoyoing, mainly 1a, 3a, and 5a. They can all grind just fine.

so which one would u recommend me getting?

In my opinion I reccomend the Dark Magic if you dont want to spend a lot of money. The Dark Magic is a good player for all skill levels. Its pretty smoothe but kinda big compared to the DV888. One of the cons of it though, is its hard to do thumb grinds with it.

If you do want to spend a little bit more money… then I would reccomend the DV888 instead. The DV888 is SUPER smoothe and has a really good grinding surface. Although the DV888 is kinda small but I like it this way, because I have really small hands.

Anyway its all up to your preferences, but these were just my favorites.

Good Luck choosing your yoyo and I hope this helped!! ;D

thanks for the advice. so if i wanna spend the money get the dv888. also i heard the dv888 is super un-responsive while the dark magic with thick lube can be made responsive. im not completely into binds yet, so maybe the dark magic would be better if im also doing responsive tricks? the dark magic can be made un-responsive easily if i want to do only binds right?

Yeah maybe get some thick lube just in case too though. If you want to work on binds then loosen the caps a little. Other then that… good choice!

I would say the Duncan Mayhem with Thick lube, if you add thick to any yoyo then widen the gap a little it will still more than likey be responsive.

Do you mean thin?

If you get thick lube, any of those will work just fine, whether you can bind or not. If you have any sort of preference, then choose what you think you will like best. If not, just pick one and go with it. Mayhem is small and round. DV888 is small and has flat rims. Dark Magic is large and roundish (and isn’t hard to thumb grind on if you get any sort of practice thumb grinding).

I ment thick, yoyo nerd told him if he added thick to the DM then wided the gap it would be unresponsive.

yeah i could loosen the caps or just put on thin lube ;D

im getting a velocity in a couple of days. after i learn binding with that i think ill decide to either move onto the dark magic or dv888 and not the mayhem. im thinking dark magic at the moment just because it will be able to play responsive aswell as be able to bind. its also cheaper. thanks for your help.

so if i play with thick lube they will all be responsive? in that case you think it would be worth it to play a dv888 responsive instead of a DM responsive? probably not as a DV888 seems as if it is a beast a unresponsive while the DM is very good at both but not quite as great at unresponsive. that seems to be what everyone is saying to be true, correct me if im wrong.

ps: would you guys order a kk bearing with a DM? a friend told me they are a near must for unresponsive play?

I would order the KK for later on…

alright i wont worry about it. adjusting the gap is easy with it right?

With the Dark Magic? Yes. It just loosens like a nut loosens on a bolt or a screw goes into wood.

I would try a Koncave before you buy one. They don’t do anything a good throw can’t do and just simply gve a different feel that you may or may not like.

PS - Next time, there is the “modify post” button in the top right corner of each of your posts that you can use if you want to add to what you put. :wink:

Great review man! :stuck_out_tongue: (wrong section)

get the Dm if you can’t bind as it will be responsive at first and then turn unresponsive and by then you may already know how to bind or be ready to learn

Who said it will automatically start out responsive, then automatically turn unresponsive?

That’s the beauty of the adjustable response. You can make it pretty responsive by tightening it, and pretty unresponsive by loosening it.

I think that they are all the same but I’m going to do descriptions of them so you get an idea. :slight_smile:

DARK MAGIC: good for intermediate to advanced players. Long spin and more stability makes it the perfect yoyo for learning string tricks. The width also makes it incredibly easy to land the yoyo on the string.

DV888: if you are an advanced player looking for a high performance yoyo, you have to get this one. It has a wide gap to make it more unresponsive. Although slightly undersized it is really smooth for string trick play.

MAYHEM: I don’t have this one but by the looks of it, I can tell that it is smooth, long spinning, and really stable. It might be the one for all your yoyo needs.

thanks buffallo that helped. sounds like the dark magic is best suited for me from reading your post.

good choice