dv888 tilt.

ive had my dv888 for about 3 months now. gone through 3 bearings. currently i have a 10 ball bearing in it. when i first got this throw it was awesome. now im having issues even keeping it stable for longer than 30 seconds. i dont know what it is thats changed. my bearing is still working as fresh as ever, i try to keep my strings at a good slack (i use the polyester string sold here on yye). i dont think its my throw is it? also the yoyo has a lot of dings in it (more than i can count).

i just dont know what to do now because it tilts out almost every time.

More than likely your throw.

Try twisting your wrist slightly the opposite direction of the tilt.

1 Like

So many of my yoyos kept “leaning” over on me when I would throw them. I would get so mad.
“This stupid thing I paid so much money for doesn’t ever work as well as my Throw Monkey or FHZ!”
Now those very same yos are much more stable and smooth. Same everything, no mods, no new bearings. They just learned their lesson and work so much better now.

Of course that’s silly. It wasn’t ever them, it was always me. Many was the time when I will be struggling with my Raptor or Dv888 and someone else with pick it up and be like; “Wow, this is a really smooth throw, I love the way these things play.” They proceed to do tricks I have never been able to accomplish.

Here is what I have found. The higher up I climbed in the quality of product the less forgiving they became with my inferior throw. Think hard about your yoyos angle when it leaves your hand and the direction it is headed. A guy can really screw up his golf swing thinking to hard about the fundamentals in the T-box, but concentration can begin to reveal where the problems lie and eventually you get to the point you just step up and swing. But that after years of polishing. It’s the same with our throw.

To quote a fellow poster; it’s the throw and not the yo.

This

I agree with the last part. It’s always the throw, not the yo. Been there, done that, practiced, got better. Problem resolves itself. It takes time. Heck, I’ve been doing this for 6 months and I’ll sometimes have a day where my throw just sucks. It’s frustrating, but it takes time, and anything worth doing is worth doing well, so put the time in.

But here is where I disagree:

I find many of the more expensive yoyos I have, such as an Avalanche or gnarwal, seem to be much more forgiving. Either that or maybe they just click with me better as they seem to go down more level and stable for me. Also, yoyos on the undersized and narrower category seem more often go down more level, which is actually quite normal. My Aoda Miracle, which is in the super-wide category, I do have problems keeping nice and flat, but since it’s so oversized, this doesn’t surprise me for now.

But regardless, it is the throw, not the yo. I got stuff from as inexpensive as a Duncan Imperial all the way up to a 2nd Run Peak as far as prices are concerned. I have yoyos in a variety of weight, dimensions and shapes. I have yoyos with A, B, C an D bearings. The more I work on my throw, the better off I am. So just go work on your throw. It’s advice we all need, especially those of us newer to this.

Perhaps “less forgiving” is not the best way to articulate it. Would you agree with this supposition; a higher end yo requires a more precise throw. It’s one thing to land a one and half mount, it’s quite another to land it sharply into the gap without bouncing and sliding your way down the inside of the yoyo. That’s my biggest problem right now. I’m constantly hitting the sides so much thus applying the brakes to what should have been a decent spin time. I’m pooping out in the first 30 to 45 seconds.

It’s just a matter of practice and then practice some more.

Well I can’t say I completely agree or disagree.

I may be having a bad throw day, then throw down my Avalanche and it seems dead on. So, I see that the better throws being in many cases more forgiving. At least that’s what I’m getting from it.

But I also think that more or less forgiving relies on a few more factors. One being player/throw match-up. That’s a whole realm of possibilities either way.

As far as your example, which is actually a great example, I think that is a big part of practice. My Code 1 is going to land that trick a lot different than say a Speeder 2 or a BVM due to the shapes and sizes. But, if the person has the basic skills, or fundamentals, they should be able to land it regardless once they can see how to adjust to the differences(a few throws maybe, at least that’s how it is for me).

However, all this is moot if the throw in the first place is horrific, wobbly and tilting.

Going from a DM2 to a Gnarwal didn’t make me a better player nor did it improve my throw. I will say that. The only thing that improved my throw is working on my throw. But I think we’re both in agreement over those mechanics.

As far as more or less forgiving, I think that’s an issue between the player and the yoyo and is no doubt part of the factors of personal preferences.

I gotta go choose my throw of the day. Something tells me my small bearing bassalope is going to be my new buddy today.