DUNCAN?

When you disregard something contrary to your point because it has no definite grounding, but continue to say things like this without your own, it makes it hard to take you seriously.

They’re sorta the classic yoyo company. Everyone started out with em. They aren’t gonna be your favorite metal but you can’t hate too much.

In short, Duncan is awesome, I could care less where they are made and who makes them, they play good, I’m playing it. And I happen to find the Echo an awesome yoyo, so I’ll play it.

Nothing more to say.

Throw Duncan!

J

Yup. TOo bad mine is a string cutter and is being sent back to be replaced. I think Duncan needs to do a little refinement in some of their processes. Of course, the same thing can be an issue for any yoyo company.

I have a Mayhem on the way, and I wouldn’t mind getting an Echo and an Raptor in the not to distant future.

Yes, that is sadly problem with Metropolis, caused by sharp edge next to bearing seat.

Patrick the concern has been addressed but not resolved. You don’t have to take pollution from Chinese factories seriously but many people do. And I did not disregard Kyo’s point that was contrary to mine. I infact addressed it as quite helpful and it made me back down a bit from my original attitude which was a bit more hostile. I can accept that maybe their factories do not abuse their employees (like working a 20 hour shift when you’re pregnant and getting paid 2 dollars for it). That however does not mean that the factory is not producing an unacceptable amount of pollution.

Duncan is letting children defend them on this forum and that’s adorable but it resolves nothing if they are not equipped to provide citation.

And as far as the name of the company…that is also a valid point that the nordic company did not start jack.

You’re trying very hard to wrap up everything in a nice neat little package with a pretty bow…But I am not buyin what you sellin.

Mine doesn’t cut string.

This thread has been cleaned up. Folks, let’s try to keep this on topic and civil.

Ooh, not my strong points… but…
For you folks experiencing cut strings on new Duncans, I have an Exit8
that was cutting strings like crazy. I was fortunate enough to be able to talk to Brandon at the Indy state contest. He told me to touch up the area around the bearing surface with a piece of Scotch-Brite. I had my doubts, but after just a few spins around the bearing seat and grooves on both halves with a bit of Scotch-Brite, it stopped cutting into the string. The effect the Scotch-Brite has on the surface is hard to see, but it was enough to take the edge off, and the strings like it.

how do u know that everyone on this forum is a kid? Everything else you said kinda makes sense… I personally don’t look that deep into a company but I kno some do n thats great

And I am not trying to argue with you or anything and normally when someone says “I am not trying to argue with you” it means they are but I am really not

Btw just curious do you have actual articles on the things you were saying… It would be a Good read!!

wow this is quite an argument here… and im a kid, and i used to think duncan was my 3rd fav. dont mean to be hatin, but the 5a thing and friction stickers and the a sized gunky stock bearing and “ball bearing for advanced play!” false advirtisments. oh please… i do enjoy their $50 metals though.

Lubed A bearings are certainly more “advanced for string trick play” than their other, often fixed axle, models. They are not appealing to us, but rather the majority. That’s hardly a false advertisement.

1 Like

I’m finding offense when people refer to an adult as a kid defending Duncan

Let me start off by saying that I wish I had the time to type all this up earlier. I’ve been extremely busy with preparing for MER, Triple Crown, Worlds, new promotions, and the normal day to day here at Duncan. I’m bummed it took 7 pages to give my 2 cents. Huge thanks to those who came to our defense.

For those who don’t know my story, and how I came to work for Duncan here goes…
I grew up playing with Duncan Yo-Yos and it was always my dream to become a member of Duncan Crew Worldwide & and a Duncan Yo-Yo Professional. When I was invited to join Duncan Crew it was easily one of the proudest moments of my life.

After being on Duncan Crew for a short time, I was offered the “National Sales & Marketing Coordinator” position with the company which was essentially Steve Brown’s old position. Steve was/is someone who I’ve looked up to in the community for many years and the fact that he had left the company several years prior made me nervous. “Will I like it? Will I still enjoy being a yo-yo player if it becomes a job? Will I still have the same love for Duncan as I did before?” amongst many other thoughts that rushed through my mind. I knew I’d be crazy if I didn’t take the position as it was something that I considered to be my dream job. To be a Duncan Yo-Yo Professional was a dream of mine for many years, and I had never even considered being able to work for the company. I had to make the decision to move 9 hours away from my friends and family back home in Nashville to pursue a career in the industry and the hobby that I had loved since I was a child.

I was afraid that I wouldn’t like it, it wouldn’t be a great company to work for, I wouldn’t be able to fill the shoes that Steve Brown once wore, that my Duncan Crew brothers and sisters wouldn’t think I was doing a good enough job, I wouldnt like the work environment, the people I work for etc. But I am stoked to say that I absolutely love what I do, the people I work for/with, and I couldn’t be more excited to be in the position that I am today with Duncan. People think we are HUGE, but we are a small part of a family owned corporation. My cubicle is about 20 ft from the president of the companies office. It’s not like we are huge like Mattel, Hasbro, or Lego.

Since I’m a yo-yo player and a member of the community I tend to take things personally when people attack Duncan by saying things about our products and or brand/company, but I’ve come to learn that’s a part of life and you cant always let things get to you especially when the people who say them don’t have a clue what they are talking about. Everyone has haters.

To those who commented about our manufacturing facilities: Many of our plastic products and our De-luxxe series of aluminum yo-yos are manufactured in China and this upsets some folks. But I’m here to tell you that our China facilities are NOT sweatshops or some nightmare working establishments. Our facilities in the USA as well China are frequently audited/inspected by companies such as Bandai, Coca-Cola, and Disney just to name a few for safe working/production environments and quality control.

I’ve had the pleasure of meeting a few people that have something negative to say like those in this thread, and after talking with them for 5 minutes they realize that Duncan isnt bad at all. Sure we’ve had patent disputes, product issues, etc but what company hasn’t? We take care of our customers as well as the community and are always looking to make things right if there is an issue.

Regarding the updating of our products, and technologies used in them; Know that we are developing new models that use SG stickers and are unresponsive/high performance right out of the package, that are geared towards specialized competition play (2A/4A), and many more that appeal to today’s player. We sell much higher volumes than our competitors which means we have a much higher inventory of product that we must move through to get to the next/newest models.

If anyone has any questions feel free to shoot me an email at brandon@yo-yo.com. Or ask next time you see me at a contest. Heck, if you see me at a contest but don’t have a question stop by and see me for a free high five!

Duncan=Love

7 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to chat Brandon. I doubt anyone holds any ill intent toward you personally or any of the sponsored players Duncan represents. I work at a giant corporation and people yell at me all the time and only a few of them take the time to mention that they are not mad at me directly just at the things the company does. Its a tough situation to be in.

Also thanks for leaving your email address however I’d like to ask questions and comment in a public forum.

I don’t think it would be too difficult to assemble a list of yoyo manufacturers who have NEVER sued anyone.

To be honest with you that kind of confused me. Please forgive my ignorance as I’m no expert regarding these things but it kind of seems rather self serving that companies that sell cheap plastic toys and soda (filled in in cheap plastic bottles) are the same companies hired to audit the production environments. Are these the same companies that audit the pollution released into the environment by these factories? Are you really saying that your factory is audited by the same company that audits such reputable companies as Disney, Bandai and Coca Cola?

Am I asking too much to get the actual name of the factory or at least an estimate on the yearly carbon foot print?

I’ll take you up on that high five at worlds haha :smiley:

I didn’t mention lawsuits in my above statement. Perhaps your assuming that’s what I meant by patent issues? Most patent issues are settled out of court and usually only consist of a cease and desist letter being sent.

When we produce yo-yo/products for Coca-Cola, yo-yos/products to be sold by Disney, yo-yos distributed by Bandai (Japan) the facility where the product is manufactured must be inspected by those companies (their auditing services) to make sure that they are conforming to their specific criteria during all stages of production as well as the environment that the products are produced in.

Yes. Thats proprietary information and has no relevance to this topic.

3 Likes

Well that clears up everything I needed to know about Duncan.

Good thread.

Thanks Brandon for defending all of the lil kids on this forum who were defending Duncan ;D

Duncan = love