DUNCAN?

I’m not going to say Duncan is the best. I’m not going to say they are the worst either.

I am not 100% thrilled with certain aspects of Duncan, or even some of their models. Hate? No, not even. Still, I know what I like, I’ll buy what I want, and some of that will be Duncan. They can’t please everyone. No company can please everyone.

Duncan is a good company. They make good stuff.

1 Like
1 Like

Duncan is pretty legit.

Some of the team members are the nicest guys I’ve ever met. I met Takeshi, Drew, Brandon, and Jack at Indy states. Really approachable people who didn’t mind exchanging tricks or even just talking for a minute. Even when they had a contest to keep on track.

Without Duncan yoyoing wouldn’t even exist. Maybe some people should show a little more respect. Or at least give them a chance.

1 Like

I’m not sure how this makes any sense. Was this failed sarcasm?

1 Like

It was a confused person, or a potential sarcastic fail, I can’t tell though.

1 Like

Ok I started this thread with small knowledge about duncan and admitted that… I just gave my opinion on how I saw them. Me, a yoyoer of 2 years. I wanted to start a discussion. thats why I created it. most people did not realize this. everything was tl;dr I guess. after reading responses from the people who did get it and give some insight: my conclusion for Duncan has changed a bit. It seems theres two sides to their story when it comes to 5a so I have no idea on that. It seems they help the community in other ways and yes they started everything so yea you can’t beat that. I have basically come to the conclusion that they make more money than all the other companies put together off their butterflies and imperials, so why would they target to 1a competition more than they are, which doesn’t seem to be that much. They don’t have to but they did make 5 or so intermediate-advanced. Probably didn’t make anymore because they saw no need to. When I said they didn’t make a lot of metals what I really meant was "they didn’t make a lot of high end competition yoyos. The material didn’t matter. Also for the record everything I said about Duncan wasn’t bashing the company or if its a good product. I just didn’t see them as #1 because

1. The most popular yoyoing is 1a competition.
  2. They are less popular than YYF, YYJ, OD, ETC ETC as choice for yoyos at 1a competitions.

Once again this doesn’t make them a “bad company” or make “bad yoyos”. Words in my mouth constantly went down in these 5 pages. Also I am pretty sure they have been using that slogan for a long time so there’s nothing wrong with them using it as its business. Kind if like Abercrombie and Fitch “EST 1892” and Hollister “EST 1942?” are just trademark sayings. They weren’t actually established then.

In my eyes Duncan wants to make yoyos for beginners…mostly. The A size bearing and the stickers show that. Or just playing the yoyos that they sell in stores. YYJ made the DM2 so you could start as a beginner with the A and switch to the C as you progress. I know their are a ton of people here who LOVE A size and are PROs and way better than me. It’s just clear that a FH right out of the box is for a beginner. I think thats why they teach you how to bind on the side of the box. Of course it can be used for advanced tricks but thats when people start to MOD them I see. Duncan wants to sell yoyos in stores… like have a kid see one on a shelf, buy it, and actually be able to bring it home and use it and have fun. (FHZ etc) Unlike the fushigi ball which is just a complete scam to every kid that Christmas 1 or 2 years ago.

I had no intentions of ever BASHING Duncan. I have nothing against any company…just YYF a little. :smiley: I just don’t like Duncan yoyos for me, I think they are of lesser quality than pretty much any other metal or metal/plastic I have played. I got a FHZ Modfather silli both sides, one with one side, Put a TPX wingnut in. Just didn’t see the hype and still played worse than the rest of my throws and I have a pretty large collection of different companies. Honestly I liked the pulse FHZ better with one sticker out. That is my preference but I know they are a favorite company to many other people. But probably not more than YYF, YYJ, OD etc…
I googled it and Tylers 2007 FHZ was modifed. People surprised he pulled it off on youtube:
“Thats an intense performance on its own but that he used a FHZ is crrraaazy”
barahona125 1 year ago

tl;dr
They do their thing to make their money targeted towards stores and the beginner market/5a but they stick around in the advanced community even though they don’t really have to, they are making insane money anyway from the butterflies and imperials. Duncan is a fine company with fine yoyos.

This is really just in our little niche of the world of yoyoing. Also, as an aside, Duncan is coming out with a baller competition level metal yoyo - Red’s signature yoyo.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/417288_10150604472022314_680792313_9217172_923988101_n.jpg

1 Like

That looks sick!

1 Like

That sticker looks like it’s targeted towards kids. But the yoyo looks like it has good guts and looks like it could perform.

Both of the bearings included with the DMII are C sized, just one is thinner in width than the other.

They have unresponsive, high end models that have A bearings and stickers.

The Dark Magic bearings are both C-sized. It’s just that one is thicker than the other.

…I think you took me a little too literally.

It believe so, ShaunC.

Thank you.

yawn… I’m out. Peace.

That throw foes look rather nice. I do agree though that the sticker is slightly geared towtda a younger crowd
But that’s how you hook in customers. When they are young they can be “molded” to like your yoyos more than others. Its an effective sales tactic. But the yoyo still looks great. Another screaming eagle type, perhaps?

[quote=“dcs937,post:66,topic:39986”]
I dont think they need big amount of “high-end” yo-yos. Echo, Raptor or Metropolis, all great competitive yo-yos comparable to all yo-yos in 100$ prices, is 47$ not enough High-end for you? Used on competitions by Tomas Bubaak, Kohta, Hank Freeman, János Karancz or Adam Hribal to win Czech and US Nationals, EYYC and Worlds. Not sure about US, but in Europe many players use them at contests.

Yes, they dont make new “high-end” throw every two moths, because they make new throw when it is really new, not just refurbished older model.

1 Like

[quote=“Bina,post:74,topic:39986”]

Nailed it right in the head, thank you Bina.

if you’ve ever thrown a metropolis then you’d know that they can make some pretty good yo-yo’sß

Good thing they got 1 down good enough for you!

That sounded slightly …rude. just from the way you said it. I’d say it would be best if a mod deleted this thread, just due to the pure remarks that are being posted. I don’t understand why people feel the need to bash any company, whether it be yomegas, Duncan, or any yoyo company that’s sold here.
For one, it’s wrong. Secondly, its not your place to do so, and this goes for everyone. And lastly, if you don’t like decent playing throws, but instead wish to buy slightly overhyped and overpriced throws, that’s your right. But never bash another company just because they refuse to do the same. It’s wrong and hateful, and gives the yoyo community a bad name in outsiders eyes.

Sincerely,
offstring-stewart

Concerns where raised…some concerns where addressed valiantly by Kyo regarding the factories where they are produced, however nothing official has been disclosed such as the name of the factory. I have browsed the official website my self but didn’t locate anything too helpful. Maybe someone with a little bit better googling skills could offer up something?

Jrodriguez did an excellent job re-directing the conversation towards a model that might also address additional concerns regarding the merit of the company. These are just 2 examples of why the thread probably should NOT be deleted as these 2 members did an excellent job addressing concerns that many people have and just because someone is concerned doesn’t mean they are flaming.

The calvary arrived, however they had nothing to offer other than “Hey I’m a nice guy!”…Well guess what? Every employee of every company is quite nice and delightful when they are addressing their customer base. I work for a major corporation and whenever I speak to customers I am a real friendly guy. That doesn’t say much.

The concerns I raised where specifically over the spirit of the company. The fact that the word “Duncan” is the last name of a guy who bought an idea from an artist and then went bankrupt trying to sue people. The corpse of the company was resurrected by the Nordic group and now people make the claim that the Nordic group “Started it all!”… It seems silly to me. Especially when I can get an artisan hand crafted yoyo made with passion as opposed to a made by a factory worker who hates their very existence ever since their water supply and crops where poisoned to death by the factories spewing pollution into their homeland that they are now forced to work in or face starvation just so American’s can get a sentimental rush when they pick up a $4 Imperial at the checkout line of a grocery store.

Personally I think the Butterfly XT looks like fun and I’ve always been a big fan of 3yo3’s modded Butterfly the “Moderfly”. I agree its fun to take a break from the high end throw and see how good your tricks look on a $7 throw. I also don’t hate the company either…I just don’t have any pseudo romance with them that makes me love them the way that I do love other companies (CLYW, onedrop, General-Yo and 3yo3 are companies that I am emotionally invested in)…I pretty much feel the same way about Duncan that I feel about YYF…And this is coming from a guy who’s first yoyo was an Imperial back in the 90s.

If you feel differently than I, that is fine. I am not trying to change anyone elses lifestyle. All I said was follow your heart. If you call that flaming, then you are the one speaking from a lack of experience…however I for one am not abject to constructive criticism. If anyone has actual resolutions to my concerns I am happy to accept them and change my position on things. After reading Kyo’s response I did feel that the way I phrased my concerns came off as accusations when it would be more mature to ask questions regarding the concerns more so than statements. Maybe then the calvary wouldn’t feel overly defensive and actually offer up some helpful information.

Thanks for your time guys, all of you!

1 Like

i just bought a $5 duncan bumble bee … best looping yoyo i have thrown since the Russell brand yo-yos i use to throw as a kid ;D