DUNCAN?

edit:
JAYYO: I didn’t realize how popular I was ;D
And sorry Patrick but I cannot explain anything else as he talked to a board admin. If you really care message me.

At this point in the game, there’s no reason why an A-bearing yoyo can’t have a more standard-type response recess. Whether Duncan chooses to make us use a pre-made PAD or lets us also choose to use an RTV silicone product, that would be nice. They already do this in some of their metals anyways.

I think they want to also hang onto the new player market. Maybe they can figure out a way to make some of their sub-$40 products be able to appeal to not only new players, but “more advanced players” who can bind. The FHZ would be an idea model to try this out with. I don’t know, maybe an SPR system: one being a sticker response system, and you flip it over and you can use a pre-made response pad or silicone it. Or use realy thin spacers so it’s responsive and then have a thicker spacer that would make it go unresponsive, kinda YYJ style except done with a different part, and then make the response systme be a silicone recess style/silicone ring/pad response system. I’d also still keep it an A-bearing though. Even if this reversible SPR idea might add costs, if they could keep it way down, it hopefully won’t hurt sales. They’d have to work hard to keep it under $20. $20 seems to be the magic number that splits

1 Like

The new bearing Butterfly’s are pretty awesome starter yoyos. They come lubed and responsive out of the package, but with a clean bearing they go unresponsive. For under $10. That’s a nice start to appeal to classic/casual fans that might have the desire to become more advanced.

1 Like

They didn’t just offer it up, go read about how that came to be.

1 Like

The pad response has been a standard for way longer than YYF or YYJ has had silicone rings. Tom Khun, Difeyo, and Duncan have been using that standard for longer than the bind has been around. And, for what it’s worth, the Duncan silicone stickers last plenty long.

2 Likes

You were doing ok until right here… get your facts straight first.

Duncan is owned by Flambeau which is in turn owned by the Nordic Group, yes… it is a large corporation owned by an even larger holdings company. However, Duncan operates ‘somewhat’ independently as far as product development goes. They operate like most companies, just with some added resources.

Their products are NOT made in sweat shops. The high end metals are made in the USA, the rest of their line is made in China. However, they maintain factory inspections for all of their facilities to insure safe and legal working conditions… they don’t just hand out work to whomever is cheapest at any cost.

Duncan has a face… Brandon Jackson, Mike Burke, etc. You can talk to them directly at any event the attend about anything… I consider most of the Duncan crew to be friends.

You’re also taking about a company who sponsors -everything- they can. I don’t know of any contest who has ever gotten turned down by Duncan for sponsorship in some way. Promoting to people who already know about their product doesn’t really help them very much… but they do it anyway because they love the community.

I’m all for supporting the companies you like, and supporting smaller companies is great… but don’t do it by trying to take shots at somebody simply because they are large and successful.

Kyle

4 Likes

[quote=“mrcnja,post:45,topic:39986”]
And they play plenty awesome.

1 Like

Whats up? :wink:

13 Likes

Aww, yeah, the cavalry has arrived.

1 Like

Thanks for the reassurance Kyo. I’m sure many of us still have our concerns when it comes to factory conditions in China but I concede that Duncan is probably not among the serious threats to humanity that Foxconn or other factories seem to be.

And again I say follow your heart on this one. Duncan was one of my first yoyos like 15 years ago, so I can understand the sentimental emotional connection. I just hope you make a decision based on facts as well as emotion (how many of you have honestly heard the name Pedro Flores before?). And it doesnt hurt to update your knowledge base every few decades as you grow up.

Oh and we are all probably typing on computers manufactured by nasty factories in China…just throwing that out there.

1 Like

Very much based on facts, I’ve seen the evidence myself.

And anybody who has been around yoyos for any length of time knows who Pedro Flores is… his yoyos go for hundreds or even thousands on ebay pretty regularly.

Kyle

1 Like

I’m sad to see all these negative feelings twords Duncan.

Hating Duncan is like hating a good father, considering Duncan is the father of yoyoing.
Most people got into yoyoing because of Duncan.

Duncan is the best.

1 Like

Hi BoJack! ;D

2 Likes

Duncan is a good company. I don’t prefer friction stickers, or A sized bearings, but I still like their yoyos. They make great yoyos, and there is only one problem with my Flying Panda, and it is that the rubber rims are separating from the plastic. It doesn’t seem to affect the yoyo, but I am kind of a perfectionist that doesn’t like things like that happening. But I learned to deal with it. But Duncan is great, there yoyos are durable. The only one that I broke was my Reflex, and I hit it on concrete really hard, which was an accident, and it cracked were the axle is. But it still works perfectly, and only vibrates occasionally. They have good metal yoyos, the Screaming Eagle yoyos, and the De-Luxxe yoyos are both good, and competition quality. The Hardcore yoyos are for intermediate tricks, but are still good, and are fun to play with. And the Classic are for beginning. I like Duncan, and I am going to buy more in the future.

1 Like

There are about half a dozen Duncan’s I want right now. I started with YYF, but I like Duncan yoyos, and Duncan as a company. They support everything involved with yoyos pretty much, have amazing(and a couple not so much) yoyos, might not be the most amazing yoyos in the world by most standards, but they are well worth their price and have there place in the community for a reason. I am no yoyo expert, but I have yet to see anything making Duncan Evil. It all seems envy to me.

1 Like

I love Duncan.

It’s that simple.

1 Like

Say it like it is, man! Rock on!

1 Like

Fist Bump

1 Like

I’d really love this argument to end. I for one find it impossible to hate Duncan.

Duncan is a one of a kind company that has helped built this company from the ground up. They brought the idea of yo-yo to modern popularity and if it weren’t for them the yo-yo wouldn’t even be a household item. Duncan + Tom Kuhn + Yomega + SKF together has built this community from the ground up.

Duncan is a modern yet traditional company. To those fanboys that rant about wanting them to size up and “get with the program” you have gotta know their goal is to be the gateway, the door for the common person to step into. If it’s been working for this long, why change the formula? That’s like telling YYJ to stop it with the Plastic/Metal hybrids and go full metal like YYF or telling YYF to stop making primarily 1A yo-yos. The friction stickers, and Size A bearings work and unique. Why become like every other company when they have a gimmick that works for most people?

I read something about sweat shops and I find that offensive to the company. Duncan’s yo-yos are high quality when they appeal to the players that will buy. I don’t know what yo-yos you’re buying to make it look like the quality is bad but there’s a reason those retail store throws are what they are.

Duncan is also the biggest supporter of the community, sponsoring every contest and making sure the contest gets done. As you can see they don’t really force their players to go up there and win contests (I’m not saying other companies do that). They also support other skill toys and focus on hobbies in general.

As for their 5A patent, that was a long time ago. You can’t blame them for doing it. They are a business and the emphasis on 5A they’ve put has gave them profit. You should be glad they even share it with other companies. IMO, they did the right thing and really rose the bar on economic competition in this community.

Tl;dr: Overall, Duncan is a great company that deserves its hype. The support they give experienced and new players is phenomenal, using tours to entertain the non-believers. Their goal to appeal the youth really brings up the players we see today. Remember, they hold the World Title for 3A and Tyler Severance pulled off 2007 worlds with a Freehand. That proves that their yo-yos are up to par and it’s the player not the yo-yo.

Duncan is the company that has gotten many of us into this hobby, admit it. It has created memories for everyone be them serious players or casual throwers. They’ve brought memories to those that don’t even throw. Hating on Duncan is almost impossible, these faults being brought up is just the “(lack of) experience” talking.

5 Likes

So The Nordic Group, was a pioneer in yoyo-ing?

1 Like