Duncan Yoshicuda X and Orbital GTX!

Yoshicuda X:

From Duncan: The Yoshicuda X is a variation of the Barracuda X. It features the same shape but a different cup zone, weight, and diameter.

We decided to release two versions because as we grow our brand and team, we wanted to ensure we continue to offer enough variety to please both our fans and our team, so when Yoshihiro Abe showed interest in a modified Barracuda X we just had to oblige.

The Yoshicuda X has a pretty similar catch zone to our Orbital we released in 2017, but it’s deeper and a lot easier to catch.

Based on Yoshihiro’s play style, it was important that it could hit his incredibly fast and dense trick maneuvers with ease. The catch zone and weight feeling are the key features here: this yo-yo is tailored for any tricks which quickly change direction and features a very comfortable catch zone, so you can catch and throw and catch and throw and the fun never ends.

Orbital GTX:

From Duncan: As tricks evolve, so do yo-yos. The new Orbital GTX is one of our wildest competition-oriented designs. It’s wide, powerful and floaty, and it doesn’t end there. While this updated version is bigger compared to the 2017 Orbital, we were able to keep the catch zone as small as possible and that leads to an elegant and really comfortable yo-yo to play with.

The new rim and weight specifications are the key players here. The rim is thicker and wider in diameter which gave us a way to make this yo-yo rim-weighted to increase spin-time and comfort. The weight is two grams lighter for easier rail combos and optimizing better horizontal tricks. These are the top two things we wanted on the massive upgrade. Even though the new Orbital GTX is lighter, the execution of the weight distribution is consistent, which leads to unmatched spin time for a yo-yo that is so light on the string.

Another note to take here is that the gap was reduced by 0.25mm which changes the way this yo-yo plays, making it easy and smooth for all the regens and binds!

12 Likes

Barracuda X vs Yoshicuda X

Barracuda X is +2mm diameter, +0.5mm width, basically same weight and gap.

4 Likes

Huh. Duncan had the weight for the Yoshicuda X as 65g and explicitly called it out as being 2g heavier than the Barracuda X. @AndreBoulay @YoYoExpertGarrett is the 63.97g spec accurate? Was there a design change last minute?

2 Likes

Not in the office rn, but I’ll double check the weight tomorrow. :+1:

3 Likes

Anyone know how does the Yoshicuda X plays differently than the Barracuda X? They look awfully the same save for the Barracuda X being +2mm diameter and +0.5mm wider. Its almost as though you would either buy one and not the other.

Don’t get me wrong - I think both are great yoyos and Yoshihiro Abe did got the 2nd place in the 5A category in 2019 WYYC using the Yoshicuda. However I’m trying to understand what is the real difference between the two in terms of play.

1 Like

I played em both at WYYC. Yoshicuda X plays noticeably heavier. Go with the Barracuda X imo unless you’re gonna use it for 3A or 5A extensively.

8 Likes

+1 I haven’t played a Barracuda X, but the Yoshicuda X definitely plays on the heavier and denser side of the spectrum.

3 Likes

4 Likes

I assume the scale been calibrated recently and checked against multiple calibration weights?

1 Like

Confirmed, splashes weigh 0.30 grams more for the extra colors

2 Likes

Nope, but that doesn’t really make a difference here. Just looking at it comparatively you can see it’s not 2g heavier than the Barracuda X.

4 Likes

No worries. I only ask is because I actually keep a spreadsheet of my yo-yo collection with weight, diameter, width, etc. :nerd_face:

I have found a bunch of differences between various websites listed specs. I just go with the yoyoexpert specs for consistency.

3 Likes

Relative to its reduced size it is the same weight though which explains why people would say it “plays heavier”.

1 Like

I was planning on getting a Yoshicuda for 5A at some point. Seems like it would be great for it. Luckily with Duncan I don’t have to impulse buy right away, I can just wait.

4 Likes

Thanks for checking that! Yup, can’t argue with those scales. Just so weird to me considering what Duncan said on their July 5 blog post announcing the Barracuda X and Yoshicuda X.

1 Like

Same here. It’s slightly infuriating considering that this should be something easy to standardize, but then again I tend to be a stickler for that kind of thing even when it’s not realistic :joy::sob:.

That said, I’m glad YYE does their own weighing. Makes it easier to compare designs.

1 Like

I gotta say, offering both the Yoshicuda and Barracuda is GREAT option for the consumer. 2mm difference in diameter is a big deal!

5 Likes

Ano and plated rims could account for the weight differences.

1 Like

Ano? No way. Plated rims maybe I guess!

1 Like

Two otherwise identical yoyos in the same colorway from the same batch can weigh different. Doesn’t have to be related to the color or plating.

1 Like