Duncan Reflex - Anything?

Does anyone know anything about this Yo - Yo or its maitenance, besides it being an auto-return.

I believe auto returns only need string change or replacement entirely.

I have had one for a few years, and the only maintenence it needs is string changes.

It’s not heavy enough to give good sleep times, though. I would think that the Buterfly GT would be a better beginner’s choice, since they have similar weight and the BGT has a bearing, which will probably give more sleep time. If you really want an auto-return, Yomega’s are better.

If you’ve worn out the friction stickers, it’s time to move on to something better.

Now, that aside:

Mainenance:
String.
A bit of a thick lubricant on the axle. Wax works good.
Transaxle: the o-ring can dry out and get too chewed up over time and could use replacing. If you’re having this issue, if you haven’t moved on by now, I don’t think I can help you.
Friction stickers. These can wear out fast, so that might be one area to look at.

I do agree that the Yomega Brain is better, and it has a starburst response system, meaning one less maintenance item to deal with.

1 Like

There’s starburst under the friction stickers, so you really don’t have to put friction stickers back in. Also, the main response for an auto return is the transaxle itself: when the axle locks, it winds itself back up. About twelve years ago, when I was in middle school and the yoyo boom was in, everyone had auto return yoyos. I don’t remember any of them at that time having anything other than the clutch transaxle and starburst.

Thank you very much for the information, Studio. :slight_smile:

Oh and I changed it from being an auto return by removing the clutch/auto-return system. Though it weighs too little now and is completely unfun to play with… But I’ll be getting a legacy 2 for christmas so its alright :smiley:

Hats off to this guy for a great attitude :slight_smile: You’ll love that Legacy, by the way.

1 Like