"Don't you have enough yoyos?"

Hopefully I’ll get through to my dad and order the Amplifier and El Ranchero sitting in my cart.

Trust me, they won’t lighten up after a few years. I’ve been going on-and-off for just shy of 4 years (with a two-year hiatus), and my parents absolutely refuse to let me get another yoyo (I currently possess eight). My advice: enjoy the ones you have. Will that yoyo you buy help you in any way to become more skilled? Chances are that answer is a big fat N-O, although I’m assuming you already have a somewhat high-end yoyo. If you don’t (Rallys and Protostars count BTW!), then you should have no problem convincing your parents to buy your first high-end.

Be satisfied with what you have. No big stink has to be made about your parents not wanting you to buy that twentieth yoyo, when you already have plenty just waiting to be played.

I talked it over with my dad more. As long as I set up a bank account and make an effort to save some money, he’s ok with me buying yoyos (and I’ll probably get my own debit card as well anyway).

Is there really enough yoyos? Maybe if you had all the yoyos. I mean all of them.

There are a few sad facts of life: parents get to call shots until you are paying your own way in life. They have some control in your spending, but they should really allow you some discretionary leeway, or you’ll never learn to make your own decisions. My parents had rules for me: if I earned it, I could get whatever I wanted with that money.

They had other rules: if I wanted a car, I had to pay for it, and save enough for 1 year’s worth of insurance first.

I had to make choices.

Because I got a job and saved, they helped out when the time came. When I blew some of my money on atari cartridges, they never cared. I think you should be happy your parents care enough to meddle in your life, but I feel your pain, you gotta find a way to let them spend some of your money however you want, or there is no incentive to earn it.

I wise woman once said to me: I’f I’m going to be so frugal to be living as if I were poor, I may as well be poor. Sometimes quality of life comes with a pricetag, and these frivolous items are part of that cost.

1 Like

I agree with your dad. Unless you have a lot of disposable income, purchasing yoyos is an enormous money sink, especially when purchasing retail. If I didn’t deliberately collect yoyos I could easily get by with just a handful of different ones…I really could survive with just 1, so could everyone else who doesn’t need multiples to compete.

When I was 16 I didn’t have a job but I funded my TCG playing by aggressively trading/selling cards through eBay, forums and at tournaments, aided by a steady stream of tournament prizes. I played TCGs from about age 13 to 19, never had a job during any of those time periods and probably stopped asking my parents to buy me cards at about age 14. I’m honestly amazed at how many yoyos some of the younger people have on here but I suspect there are a few who are BST fanatics who are patient and make good trades.

Of course if you have your own job and actually make money then my advice is to do whatever you want with your money and if your dad won’t let you buy yoyos on his card and have you pay him cash then buy a prepaid PayPal card with your money and use it to buy yoyos instead. I suspect the spending will go down once you realize how much of your money you are really spending on yoyos so you will learn the “save some money” lesson from your dad without resenting that you feel like you have no freedom. If I was your age I would still try to get the majority of my yoyos through the BST by trading what I had and didn’t need, though.

My mom and my sister are all like “you have a billion yoyos you don’t need anymore!” Because I bought a big pack of yomegas on ebay when I used to think that yomegas were the best thing ever. I try to explain to them that they were super cheap, but they still say that. My dad, on the other hand, is fine with me buying my own things with my own money. So whenever I get a new throw, i have to get the mail before my mom sees it… Hahaha

Count their shoes.

I have a “Dress up” pair, I have a regular pair of cross-trainers, another set I wear only on the treadmill(so I don’t track in regular dirt) and a beat to crap pair I use for yardwork.

My wife has a shoe collection that appears to rival Imelda Marcos. It’s nowhere near that close, but it seems like it at times.

Haha they are both not really into that kind of thing. It is funny you bring that up though because I wear the same black shoes everyday that I’ve worn since almost 2 years ago. I’ve also spillen paint on them(intern at a youth theater- i paint sets) so one of them is mostly white and they both have random little drops of colors on them.

Yes, I do have enough yoyos. I just don’t caa-aaare.

Well, then give your shoes a colorway name then!

Let’s face it, life is expensive and so are kids. Sometimes we overlook, or just take for granted, how much our parents pay and do to support us. Food, doctors, clothes, food, food, probably should say food again since your a teenager, and various interests. Even though they see your money as yours, they also hope you will have enough to help yourself with college, tech school, and life after high school. I’m just saying that parents have concerns and worries they don’t always explain clearly. I guess my point is, maybe trying understanding what your parents are thinking and feeling more than convincing them you need a new yoyo.

Your lucky to have parents that care, it might feel constraining or restrictive but you are fortunate.

3 Likes

Not that it’s hard for me to get yoyos, but I like to think of it as being a relatively health hobby. To me it’s better than running out and getting the next Call of Duty or what have you. Though I may enjoy the games, I feel the yoyos are not only a wiser investment but a better way to spend my time. The total amount my family has spent on yoyos (within the past 1.5 yrs: something like $1500 retail. We’ve spent a bit less due to sales etc) is about the total of the spending for one game system (~300), four controllers (~60 ea), and a casual amount of games within the same time frame at retail prices.

Granted, I could be saving money in both departments by buying used product, but that simply isn’t something I do. I’d much rather have the security of YYE’s customer service rather than deal with some on the BST. Though both of my purchases off the BST have gone off mostly without a hitch, quality is just another thing I have to worry about when dealing with others.

When I buy a new yoyo it is to expand my experiences so that I might become attuned more to my favorite shape, feel, etc. Since I tend to design in my spare time, I find this to be an important part of how it all blends together.

I have a few unofficial jobs that I make decent money through. It’s not like I’m spending money on yoyos that often really. It averages out to 50 dollars a month, which is far less than what I earn. I always keep careful track of how much money I have, how much I’m earning, and how much I’m spending. I’m always sure to save plenty of my money. I also never buy yoyos that are over $100 each (most that I’ve bought were under $50).

I understand my parents point of view completely, and I greatly appreciate all that they do for me. I guess I didn’t describe my situation well enough, because a lot of people seem to be jumping to the conclusion that I’m just some whiny, unappreciative kid.

The problem is solved. Nothing more to say.

Just last night, I thinking of getting a Werrd Hour, but my mom said “You don’t need any more yoyos”. I kinda need a new one because I’m kinda short on yoyos and I need to experiment which shape I like.

I have a Smooth Move, a Shutter, a Supernova, and a Severe. I love em all, but I want to support other companies and branch out. I agree with my parents POV, but I really want a Silver Werrd Hour.

I wish I had someone to intervene on my frantic yoyo purchasing. I have a sickness…

Most of us here definitely have enough.

Variety is okay… But I think it’s easy for it to cross over into excess - myself included.

Whiny, unappreciative kid? I never thought that! I was hoping that a deeper understanding of where parents often come from, might help deal with frustration you are experiencing. That’s all.

I guess some of us thought we understood our parents point of view and situation precisely to later discover, as adults, though close in some aspects, that we weren’t even close in others. After all these years I still discover things that my parents did for me without saying a word. I don’t think I’ll ever be aware of everything. Parents don’t want kids to have to deal with many things, so they just don’t share those worries. That’s what parents do. Thanks Mom and Dad!

Me personally i think i don’t but yes i get that all the time but i’m not wasting my money!

Your bank account will take care of that for you!