Don't tell my wife, 200$ worth of yo's in 2 weeks

Lying is wrong … Unless u get away with it… Just kidding ;D

Just get your wife to buy you yoyos… For bday or Xmas or anniversary… That’s what I am doing!!!

I was cracking up when I read this. I think everyone has told a “little white lie,” but if it’s about something you love, let it be known, and in the grand scheme of things, if a guy just buys yo-yos, even high end ones, it’s better than a lot of other things he could be doing. Also, like someone pointed out before, you have to set the ground rules at the BEGINNING of the relationship. As long as the bills are taken care of, and you are keeping an agreed upon savings, the rest is play money. Once you set the ground rules, your spouse knows the deal, and what you buy after that is your business. I think couples make the mistake of all the money being “joint” money. You have to have a separate stash for your own sanity. Everyone has a vice. Some women like clothes, some like shoes, some like jewelry, and some have a hobby of their own that they need to fund. Some men are lucky enough to find a woman who loves yo-yos too. I personally spend most of my play money on electronic gadgets, yo-yos, and music related things.

Most men are overgrown kids. I know I am. I used to skate and freestyle BMX, but as I near 40, the body doesn’t always move like I would like it and breaking a hip on a 1/2 pipe would devastate my families income. Yo-ing has kind of filled the gap without the risk of serious injury ( a black eye and a couple of shots to the groin not withstanding.
That being said I chose a wife who “generally” gets that I am a kid. Before any purchase I warm her for a week or two. Just dropped that I probably need a quality metal throw pretty quick because my DM2 can’t grind real well. She then asks how much it will cost, and I say," high end ones can cost hundreds of dollars, but I don’t want to spend that much!" Then when I buy one for $99, it doesn’t sound so crazy.
Funny thing is, I am sure she knows that this is the game I play. If my B-Day or some other Holiday comes round with the risk of purchase in the air, she buys it for me- and usually spends more than I would ever think of.

I got a good one!

I guess you could say my wife helps me keep things in moderation…I have to hold back sometimes because I either just bought one (or two), or there isn’t enough spare money to go around fairly.
Honestly everytime I’ve dropped a stack of cash on a new yoyo or three, I’ve spent 2x-3x on something else for her. I guess I just feel bad because it’s 100% my thing, and she gets no joy out of it. Marriage is all about compromise, and the key is…don’t spend that much at one time unless you want to hear about it.

I mean seriously, if your wife came home with $200 worth of shoes (which they all fantasize about), you’d be kind of bummed.

If I mentioned how much I’ve spent on throws and supplies in the last year you wouldn’t believe me. Funny thing is, nearly half of that was done by my wife.

Call me lucky but my wife pretty much lets me do what I want and doesn’t complain at all…says she’d rather I have a hobby than be doing other stupid things. I guess the way she looks at it, better we’re both honest and don’t go nuts on the spending. In all reality there are a lot of other “habits” money could be put towards so in the end if its going towards throws then its not all that big a deal really.

And I have no idea what that colorway is called but it looks sweet!

So very, very true! About being honest to the wife and spending upwards of a grand to get the best yoyo for your style. But in the end…money well spent in my opinion! :slight_smile:

I like how so many people here assume that wives and girlfriends just want shoes and bags. Maybe spend a little less time yoyoing and more time figuring out who you’re married to? Just a thought. :wink:

In my case, my girlfriend knows that I spend a fair amount on yoyos, but she doesn’t care too much as long as I can pay my half of rent and utilities. Yoyos are nothing compared to a $1,500 dollar camera lens.

The colorway is “Patience, Grasshopper”.

I hear you on that! Between my yoyo obsession and my camera equipment its a miracle we don’t live in a cardboard box!

This is really not how it works. The last thing you want to do is turn this around with an analogy and imply that you think her spending on purses or shoes is too much, or is silly. Men, before we’re married, tend to think that it’s best to reason with women in hopes they’ll understand us. We’re simple and direct by nature. It’s not that women can’t understand reason, it’s that this approach inevitably reads as dismissive and condescending during a “discussion”. What they want you to do is admit that they’re right, not teach them why they’re wrong.

So, there’s no need to lie. Just agree if they’ve got a point. Later, she may come around on her own.

Drawing an analogy does not imply that anything she is spending on is “silly,” it causes the significant other to view the yo-yo as something she loves to buy (whatever that may be). I don’t believe at all that women want to be “right.” Women do in fact reason, and can process anything simple and direct, and they do not view that approach as dismissive and condescending. The point is not about bags or shoes, of course, but to know the woman you’re with, and find something analogous to what she loves to spend money on. Once she sees how much they mean to you, and can put herself in your “shoes” (no pun), she will see your point of view. You do not have to admit that she is “right,” because you may not agree that she is right at all. Communication is key.

I want my wife to be happy. I’m glad when she spends money on things that interest her. She wants me to be happy. She’s glad when I spend money on things that interest me. We both trust the other to be prudent when spending. ;D

I am a wife…and a Mom. And i would much rather spend $100 bucks on a nice yoyo for my son than on some damn coach…or whatever brand bag…
But i hate those damn bags anyhow lol I think they are super ugly. These yoyos are beautiful ha ha…

1 Like

Well, if your analogy is an attempt to justify frivolous spending, then I think by its very nature this argument implies that her spending is silly.

But good luck with your approach. I have a feeling you’re not married. You still think there’s a chance you could be right.

You’re presumption that the spending is “frivolous” is part of the problem. Spending on something you love in my opinion is not “frivolous.” That is where again…the communication and knowing who you’re with before you link up, is key. As for me being married or not…enough said. Thanks, I’ve had luck with my approach… and good luck to you too. If you’re happily married with what works for you…so be it.

I am “presuming” the spending is frivolous because our entire conversation was based one poster’s belief that his wife would not be happy with his spending $200 on yoyos, likely because that is a lot of money for a small metal toy. If we weren’t presuming this, then why are we even discussing how to handle it? Further, the analogy you like is exactly what I described, an attempt to justify spending that would be seen as frivolous.

I understand what you’re trying to say. I’m just giving what I think is some pretty universal input which is that, when your spouse comes to you with a complaint about your frivolous spending of “our” money, or any financial argument of any kind, that might not be the ideal time to reference spending of theirs as a counter-argument. Witty and topical as your analogy may be, love isn’t going to keep you from getting “the look” when she takes that the wrong way.

But, you’re right, communication is key. It unlocks both the bedroom and the basement. Which one you’ll be sleeping in depends on how you use it.

My point is from the angle that the spending is not frivolous “to him,” and there is a way to articulate that to the wife and have her understand the rationale that the spending is not frivolous. I don’t believe his spending of $200 on yo-yos is frivolous at all, therefore I support the idea of “communicating” that to the significant other in such a way that she might understand that it is not frivolous at all. I am very against going along with the idea that says, “honey, you’re right…that was stupid to spend so much on yo-yos.” If he really doesn’t think it was a foolish thing to do, he should stick to his guns on it, and if that analogy helps her connect with how he views the yo-yos (something that can be useful)…I’m all for it. I read his post as an expression that he was all for the spending, but his wife would be unhappy with it if she found out about it. I think there’s a balance between keeping yourself happy, and keeping someone else happy. If the reason she would be unhappy with the purchase is because she doesn’t understand things from his point of view, I’m all for him stating his case about why it is not as bad as it might seem. A good way to do that is to say by way of analogy, “honey, it’s sort of like how you enjoy buying ______, which is useful to you, but not to me, but you have a lot of those.” Unless she’s a hypocrite, she’d be forced to just see it for what it is and at least know how important it is to him. Now, if she comes around to accept him spending $100 next time instead…he’s halfway there. Also, in that communication, he should articulate why a yo-yo is not just a small metal toy “to him,” it’s much more than that…perhaps something he enjoys, an escape, a hobby, activity and so on. I think that the key is to first communicate about your feelings, second get someone to see things from your perspective, and third, if possible “compromise” on things if they can be compromised. I’m the type who doesn’t see a “disagreement” in a relationship as an argument. I think it’s an opportunity to see someone else’s point of view, that’s how you get to know them even better and broaden your perspective.

Nobody can understand the prices of yoyos that don’t throw them. I have been talking with my Co workers about how I got a new yoyo and it was 100 bucks which is cheaper then a lot of my yoyos but there mouths dropped like I was nuts. I got buddies that spend 200+ on Jordan’s but that seems more normal to people cause they are more likely to relate to that. I could care less that some people don’t get the passion I have for my yoyos cause there worth whatever I feel they are worth. My beat up dv888 means just as much to me as my magma cracks moonwalker because of memories. As for you dude I would tell your wife cause IMO lies don’t belong in a realationship even if there to soften the truth lol. Plus if you keep this up and get even more into throwing your wife/girlfriend could go and try to be nice and buy you one and find out what they really cost :slight_smile: good luck. Its better then blowing your cash on drugs or drinking and if it makes you feel good its worth it bro.

Wow, 3 pages! I guess the new guy (me ) gave everyone something to talk about. Well now the title should be changed cause I just got another OD and a N9. I just starterd this thread cause I thought it would get a few laughs. I also made the mistake of telling a co worker how much a OD is they also thought I was crazy, and I don’t think it helps to say but a CLYW Chief is even more. My other Hobby is RC’s also very expensive, but I don’t allways go buy Chief equivenant in RC either. I try to keeep things resonable to me, but what might be resonable to me may not be to my wife. So instead of asking permission I just do what I want and be prepared for the consiquences. Now like I said within reason for me is stopping now. I got some nice throws and now I will enjoy them, I don’t think telling any one how much you pay for your toys is cool unless they ask. I think when I told the co worker I was bragging but it wasn’t like they care, if they were a kid with a Whip and you said hey check out this Chief then the kid would care but the people who don’t know any better think they are all the same. Oh yeah did i mention I just got an N9 Magic Yo Yo, now this might make me think more about what is reasonable to me. Don’t get me wrong I love my new expensive yo’s but the N9 from China is going to make me look at my next purchase more closely. Now as far as my wife I would not lie to her if she asks I would tell her exactly how much my new OD Shark Attack cost, and I would say I wanted it cause everyone talks about how great OD is they are made in America look awesome and I just wanted it, she would be fine with that, but there is no need for me to make a big deal aboout how much it is. Enough for now I’m going to go look at the Chief’s. lol

To limited Supination:
Definitely an interesting topic to raise. Yeah, best to keep it to yourself unless she asks. I’ll have to check out that N9, heard good things about it…cheap too. Glad you’re having fun!