Does this forum create "yo-yo envy"?

i dont mind. as long as everyone is happy, im happy.

3 Likes

[online store link removed]

was it this?

Mod edit- please don’t post links to other online stores. Thanks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is not the proto, it is the final, but you nailed it :wink:

lol darn, so close…

I can’t speak for others but I personally don’t feel that way, I do like to buy yoyos but I did most of those purchases before I signed up and had already planned future ones with or without joining this forum. I just enjoy trying different throws or the same ones in different colors and personally so far I’ve found I can find most of the things I’m looking for in a yoyo in the $15 - $50 range. I’m the type of person if I had two yo-yos to choose from as a freebie and one was a limited drop with a ridiculous price tag and the other was identical in a colorway that I liked more, I’m going to choose the one I like the look of more everytime. Whatever anyone else has doesn’t matter much to me, other than it’s cool to see someone get excited about getting something new.

And you know as far as the serious collectors go I mean if it makes them happy and they have the funds then go for it! I’ve seen people get a certain gratification from snagging that exclusive throw when it drops and if it brings some joy to their life and they have the funds for it I say that’s great. :smile:

3 Likes

I don’t envy others who can afford more/better yoyos than I can. The most I have spent on one is £50 and pretty much all the nice stuff I have I purchased second hand.

6 Likes

I love this. You are absolutely correct. I make it a point actually to be able to do all of my tricks on any yoyo in my collection. My girlfriend bought me a big fun and the only thing it doesn’t do is grind

3 Likes

Lol no. Don’t be sheep.

2 Likes

Oh wow, this is a deep one.

There’s a reason why the good book instructs us to refrain from covetousness. Once that desire takes root, it’s hard to shake. Really hard.

It doesn’t matter what it is that you’re coveting, if you do happen to obtain whatever it is that you’re longing for, it is likely not to fulfill you the way you thought it would. The satisfaction will be short-lived and you will be well on your way to seeking your next prized possession in no time.

I think people with addictive personalities are more susceptible to the snare of covetousness, but none of us are truly immune.

8 Likes

Yup, that’s me. I have to learn that lesson over and over. I did not enjoy throwing more after my two most expensive purchases and the thrill of those two yoyos kind of wore off after a few days and I love them but I tend to more often pick up the yoyos I already had. I say, enjoy whatever yoyos you can afford and have fun. I mean, c’mon…they’re…yoyos. Welcome back, @smileypants707. I missed you!

2 Likes

As much as the forum and “mailday” topics can create envy and a desire to buy new yoyos, it’s also the choice of any member to actively click and view those topics themselves. Same goes for yoyo reviews - if you’re curious enough to watch them it’s no one’s fault but your own that you want to buy a new throw. No one is forcing you, no one is outright trying to coerce you to buy a new yoyo. Blaming others for putting out content that showcases something that not everyone has is unwarranted in my opinion, there are lots of awesome unique yoyos that I’ve watched/seen in posts and vidoes that I will never own but appreciate being able to learn about. The whole money aspect is being blown out of proportion - the yoyo community has some of the best manners regarding shaming. I honestly don’t notice many posts (or any really) that involve someone putting someone down for having a beginner/less expensive yoyo. knife fanatics on the other hand…

5 Likes

Comparison is the thief of joy.

13 Likes

Envy is a product of your own creation.
Some people can create better than others.
Sorry for your loss.

3 Likes

One of the truest things ever said.

3 Likes

Buying new yoyos is kinda fun on its own, I guess. @tvelto frequently points to buying/collecting yoyos as a major aspect of the hobby that is just as important as playing (to the long-term health of the hobby, if nothing else). And I get where he’s coming from.

But for me the buying is only a very temporary thrill, and I feel pretty indifferent towards the mere having of them. The only real sustained joy I get is from playing them. I mean, obviously you have to have yoyos in order to play them (even if you are only borrowing them), but I don’t feel any particular thrill or pride of ownership, to be honest. When I get the urge to play (which is often), I just want to be able to satisfy that urge with a high-quality throw (and with a shape and aesthetics that fits my mood at that moment).

2 Likes

Personally, I do not have yoyo envy. I have $16 yoyos that I prefer over the $45 yoyo I just got and the $14 yoyo I just got over the $99 yoyo. Yoyos are about fun to me. Nothing more. I like every yoyo I own including my DV888.

4 Likes

hmm…no. h-spin made the envy.

mgodzilla

cloudy…

5 Likes

I wanted to throw my two cents in here. A forum is just a way to create community. If one were to be part of a group of local hobbyists of any hobby, and you see other people purchasing and enjoying new things, one could feel the same set of emotions of “FOMO” or “fear of missing out”, one does here on the forum.

It’s the “FOMO” that’s the cause of yo-yo envy, not the forum itself. It’s not specific to yoyos in any way, shape or form, it’s something that’s faced by anyone who gets really into a certain hobby. I do have a large collection of older throws from when I was super into the hobby from 2003 to 2007 or so. I also have way too many R/C helis. I have way too many mechanical keyboards. I have way too much “functional glass art”. For all those hobbies, it wasn’t any forum causing my envy, it was new products, and being exposed to them regularly. That’s what the forum provides, not only a community, but a constant exposure to the new goodie goods.

Anyway, TL:DR, it’s not the forum causing the envy.

5 Likes

20 posts were split to a new topic: Let’s talk Mechanical Keyboards

I’m sorry, I was not referring to the forum as it was created.